Shoulder snaps?

Options
When I do chest press, shoulder press etc my left shoulder snaps. I've ever tried a 5 lb weight and it still snaps. If I hold my arm at a 90 degree angle upright and rotate my hand up and down it snaps too. It doesn't feel comfortable but there's no extreme pain. Anyone have any ideas? I do have a dr appt on the 30th so I'll ask her then but figured I'd ask here.

Replies

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Do you keep your shoulder blades together at the back? Are you doing them on a bench or floor?
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    It could be a few different things. A general doctor probably won't be able to give you an exact diagnosis, so you may need to see an orthopedist, sports physical therapist, etc. In the mean time i would avoid exercises that make it snap. :+1:
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Yeah. Mine snaps until I work it out. Have you seen how to warm up for bench press with a 2.5 or 5 lb weight? Arm circles in both directions, rotate arm down and up at 90 degrees, and a little fly with your elbow down at your waist. Not a great job describing it but you can look it up.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Remember we are not doctors. That being said, I had a lot of popping in my left shoulder. Eventually tore all the tendons in the shoulder. Had them repaired 3 years ago, feels better now. Got all my strength back and then some. My popping was from calcium build up and he smoothed that out. That was my case.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Mine snaps when I am just sitting in class and I stretch..... I hope it's nothing serious!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    This is called a subluxation and is a result of "unstable shoulder".

it's pretty common in individuals who have poor muscular control of the rotator cuff or hyper-flexibility in the tendons that surround the joint. Common co-occurrences include: shoulder impingement, bursitis, and if left untreated potential tears.

IMO- you should find a PT who can help you re-stabilize the shoulder joint, until then avoid any and all movements that could put your shoulder in a compromising position. This includes: bench press, shoulder press, lateral raises, upright rows, behind-the-shoulder anything, bench or other dips, chest flyes, and shrugs.

EDIT: Also avoid purposely subluxing the shoulder joint, LOL
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    Z_I_L_L_A wrote: »
    Remember we are not doctors. That being said, I had a lot of popping in my left shoulder. Eventually tore all the tendons in the shoulder. Had them repaired 3 years ago, feels better now. Got all my strength back and then some. My popping was from calcium build up and he smoothed that out. That was my case.

This is what you don't want to happen, OP.
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I took a video to show exactly whats happening
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I've been doing PT exercises for rotator cuff since the surgery. I see people using light plates waving them around and think that's not enough. I use a cable machine to hit all angles to strengthen both rotators. Looks like with the plates they're just loosening it up.
  • AngInCanada
    Options
    I've booked an appt to go see a physiotherapist but can't get in till February. I'll see what my Dr says on Monday but not holding out much hope that she will know.
  • rainbowbow
    Options

yes, this is a subluxation. you can think of it as a partial dislocation. the ball slips out of the socket within varying percentages (let's say 20-40%) and then snaps back in place.
  • AngInCanada
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

yes, this is a subluxation. you can think of it as a partial dislocation. the ball slips out of the socket within varying percentages (let's say 20-40%) and then snaps back in place.

Ew. That's why it feels so horrible.
  • for_ever_young66
    for_ever_young66 Posts: 2,881 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I used to do overhead presses and I would always hear the "snap, crackle and pop" myself. I decided to quit doing them altogether. Your form has to be near perfect in order for that workout to be effective. I hurt my rotator cuff doing those and stayed away from them since. As another poster mentioned, you may want to see a physician before doing any of those again.