Can't seem to lose and need advice

Options
I would love some advice on my situation. I started my journey about two years ago and lost around 70 pounds. I had kind of gave up because I couldn't seem to lose anymore weight after awhile. I stopped at 207 pounds. I'm still currently the same weight and have been for about a year. I tried losing weight again several months ago and I am still at 207. When I lost the weight before I was eating around 1450 calories. When I tried losing weight again I tried the same amount of calories and couldn't lose so now I've been eating around 1300 calories and I still can't lose any weight. I am honest with tracking my calories. I'm 5'7" and 35 years old. I don't understand why I can't lose weight. I'm pretty sedentary because of an injury but I do walk. I just can't see how I'm not losing any weight. It isn't like 207 is a healthy weight, but I can't seem to get past that number. Should I be eating even less calories? I seem to be hungry most of the time on eating 1300, but I could stick with it if I was seeing results.

Replies

• arobey11
    arobey11 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    How long are you trying, when you say you tried losing weight again several months ago, how long did you stick with it? It didn't seem too clear to me from what you wrote.

Can you open your diary? Sometimes other users can help you see possible incorrect entries you could be using, or places where you could be logging better.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    could you open your diary?
    have you visited your doctor to rule out a medical condition that may be hindering your progress?

based on your stats (which are really similar to mine) plugged into the scooby calculator you should be able to lose at about a pound a week averaging 1600 calories.
  • Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Weight loss comes from calorie deficits. Many times food isn't logged correctly. Do you weigh everything?
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    The simplest explanation is that you are probably eating more calories than you think. Are you weighing your food on a food scale? And using measuring cups for liquids? And even if you are doing that, are you using accurate entries from the MFP food database?
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Weigh/measure everything you eat. Find accurate logs in the database. Make sure all the additions you add to your food/cook with are added too.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    heelie1996 wrote: »
    Sorry you are going through this, I know how stressful weight loss can be. To me it sounds like you are actually not eating enough and your body is not shedding pounds because of this. I would look into BMR and check what number you are at. I would also suggest exercises that dont strain the body such as swimming or gentle yoga.
    Hope this helps.

That isn't how weight loss works.
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    heelie1996 wrote: »
    Sorry you are going through this, I know how stressful weight loss can be. To me it sounds like you are actually not eating enough and your body is not shedding pounds because of this. I would look into BMR and check what number you are at. I would also suggest exercises that dont strain the body such as swimming or gentle yoga.
    Hope this helps.

This is not good advice.
  • tmoneyag99
    tmoneyag99 Posts: 480 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    1st let me say that likely what happened from the 1st round to this round is that you lost muscle mass. Muscle is a key driver of metabolism. Are you lifting weights? This will help you ensure your resting calorie burn goes up. 1lb of Muscle burns requires more calories to maintain than 1lb of fat.

Please don't get frustrated. I posted a video for folks to watch in another thread. This is really part of the process.

I echo what others are saying see your doctor. Also get your blood chemistry and your blood sugars tested. You might be surprised that while you don't see it on the scale your body is actually healing.

Whatever you do, don't go below 1200 calories.

Since you can't do vigerous exercise look at getting a pedometer or use your phone to track mileage. A rough estimate of exercise is 1 mile = 100 calories whether you run it or walk it. 10,000 steps = 5miles. Get up and move every 25 minutes. Next thing you know your're doing 5k steps (2miles) a day. I have a stressful desk job so this has become my solution. Get up, walk 100 steps and go sit down. At lunch I walk 2k steps. I have recently added work out videos BUT I still do the things that I was doing.

I hope all of this is helpful for you. I know these struggles are real and de-moralizing. The truth is the only solution is to take a deep breath, evaluate, make changes and keep going. Our only options are backward, stagnent or forward. I am rooting for you to choose forward. :smile: