When your 'healthy' lunch has too many calories. :-(

Options
So I began this weight loss journey with January 1st. Looked into the healthy eating recipes. Buddha bowls. Healthy, right? I just plugged in the recipe and it sent me beyond my calorie limit (and all other limits, too).
Totally discouraged.
I thought homemade roasted veggies and 1/3 cup of chickpeas with a little tahini sauce drizzled on top would be a sensible lunch, but the calorie counter says not. It says my bowl was almost 2K of calories???

Anybody have any wisdom?

recipe: http://minimalistbaker.com/sweet-potato-chickpea-buddha-bowl/

Replies

• GemmaM_x
    GemmaM_x Posts: 324 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Did you enter the recipe values exactly as they are? It serves 2 or 3, so values should be halved at least. 2000 calories for the entire recipe doesn't sound outwith the realm of possibility, but that's split over 2 or 3 lunches.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    KiwiAlexP wrote: »
    The recipe says each portion (it make 3) is:
    Serving size: 1/3 of recipe with sauce Calories: 474 Fat: 21g Saturated fat: 2.8g Carbohydrates: 62g Sugar: 7.2g Sodium: 563mg Fiber: 11.4g Protein: 13.2g

Yeah, this...you need to take into account how many servings there are in a full recipe.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    As with any of these recipes, many of the calories are in the sauce and/or the oil used to fry/sautee the ingredients. Try modifying the recipe to suit your needs.. use less oil, or lower calorie ingredients. Each tbsp of olive oil is 120 cals, and one of the first ingredients listed is 2 tbsp olive oil. That's 240 calories of the total overall calories. You might also be able to make the sauce with a lower calorie maple 'flavored' sugar-free syrup and a lower fat version of the tahini. So try steaming the veggies instead of using the oil, then make a lower calorie sauce and I'll bet you'll end up with about 30% less calories in the finished serving.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Says right on the bottom of the recipe that it's 474 calories per serving. Did you eat more than one serving?
  • srk369
    srk369 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I didn't eat the whole recipe. Just a third. :)
    LOL. I was trying to figure out how you you weren't just stuffed with "2 large sweet potatoes" and all of the veg.

Minimalist Baker is my nieces favorite food blogger! I might have to try this bowl out soon.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    srk369 wrote: »
    I didn't eat the whole recipe. Just a third. :)
    LOL. I was trying to figure out how you you weren't just stuffed with "2 large sweet potatoes" and all of the veg.

Minimalist Baker is my nieces favorite food blogger! I might have to try this bowl out soon.

Thanks to this thread, I already pinned so I can try it soon. She's one of my favorite recipe writers!
  • WandaVaughn
    WandaVaughn Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I enjoy this recipe. Of the three buddha bowl recipes I've tried so far, it's my fave. Probably of the sweet/savory play in the flavors. Which is best to go after, nutrition powerhouses or low, low calories? I'm hoping to find a happy medium.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I enjoy this recipe. Of the three buddha bowl recipes I've tried so far, it's my fave. Probably of the sweet/savory play in the flavors. Which is best to go after, nutrition powerhouses or low, low calories? I'm hoping to find a happy medium.

You'll need to find a balance -- nutritional foods (they don't necessarily have to be "powerhouses") to meet your body's needs and being in a deficit (which is what is going to produce weight loss).

I found that over time I got a much better sense of what foods were "worth" the calories and provided nutrients and it became a lot easier to plan my meals.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I can make a mixing bowl size salad salad that is 600-700 calories depending on what I put in it:) The dressing is usually only 45-60 calories so you know its loaded with goodies:).

Thats 1/2 my daily calories, but sometimes so worth it and usually filling as I add a couple of proteins.

So yeah even though you made a mistake on servings some "healthy" foods can add up!
  • BiomedDent
    BiomedDent Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    This looks so tasty. So gonna make it!
  • beccahun1
    beccahun1 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Some healthy foods are healthy, but not designed for weight loss. There are certain things I reserve for days I know I'm going to exercise a lot, and some that I just don't really go there until I reach maintain weight status (yet to achieve that).

Basically anything containing dates, coconut oil or avocado are reserved for these high energy days. Or special occasions.
    I'm sure there are more items on that list, but that's what I can think of right now.
    By all counts these are healthy foods but they don't fit into my day to day calorie diet. I tend to stick to whole foods as much as I can. Veggies & meats as unprocessed as possible.
  • WhitneyDurham777
    WhitneyDurham777 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Oh, the problem with tasty food. You can never eat enough. Healthy, delicious and high calorie.
  • NewGemini130
    NewGemini130 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    That looks really good--was it good? I'm totally making that this weekend - all three servings ;)