How to build your booty?

Options
I know this sounds ridiculous but I would really like to gain some strength in my derrière. But I would also like to lose weight in other areas such as my arms and stomach. Right now I'm trying to lose weight by eating more heathily but also tone by doing low reps of heavy strength exercises. My question is - is it possible to do both at the same time or do I have to slim down first and then start over consuming protein and lifting to gain muscle mass?

I'd love to hear your thoughts on how to start achieving these goals in a 3-4 month timeframe! Thanks

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    You can definitely do both at the same time, it is called "recomping" so eating at maintenance while following a progressive lifting program.

However, I do have 'bad' news for you... 3-4 months may not be enough time to see significant results with recomp. Don't get me wrong, you will likely see progress but it can typically can take many months (to years) depending on your goals, starting point and your genetics.

Your other option is like you said to slim down and run a bulk, but that is definitely not a process for everyone especially if you are a beginner lifter.

Your next step will depend on your stats and how close you are to goal. If you still have a significant amount of weight to lose, then I would recommend a slight deficit before starting to recomp.

You do not need to overconsume protein for either option, but it is recommended about 0.8-1g per lb body weight.

You can look into a program like Strong Curves which is focused on the booty.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    You can and should start lifting now to limit the loss of muscle that will come with any weight loss. But while there may be strength gains, do not expect much in the way of muscle gains until you stop eating at a deficit. Squats and deadlifts will be good choices to work on that area, but focus on form because a lot of people don't trigger the glutes naturally.
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I could write a whole new response but I'm basically going to say what @sardelsa said, right down to recommending strong curves.
  • ducky653
    ducky653 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much @sardelsa! I only want to lose about 10 pounds so I think I'll try to eat at maintenance but incorporate more protein while also beginning my lifting regimen. I'm not set on the 3-4 month schedule, but I think if I keep with it I should be able to see some progress by then. Strong curves sounds great! Fingers crossed.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Low bar squats. Nothing will get you stronger and build the posterior chain better.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    CipherZero wrote: »
    Low bar squats. Nothing will get you stronger and build the posterior chain better.

Personally squats were not enough to significantly build up my glutes/hamstrings. I am a quad dominant squatter, after adding in some glute and ham isolation exercises/more specific movements for several months I've seen more progress than I have after a few years of squats alone. I'm seeing the hip-thrusty movements have great carry over to my squat and deadlift lock out now.
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options

Personally squats were not enough to significantly build up my glutes/hamstrings. I am a quad dominant squatter, after adding in some glute and ham isolation exercises/more specific movements for several months I've seen more progress than I have after a few years of squats alone. I'm seeing the hip-thrusty movements have great carry over to my squat and deadlift lock out now.

what are these isolation moves? I have spent a year or so in Pump thinking I was weird cos every time the instructor says 'you should feel this in your butt', I never did, but quads - YES.

• not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    beerfoamy wrote: »

what are these isolation moves? I have spent a year or so in Pump thinking I was weird cos every time the instructor says 'you should feel this in your butt', I never did, but quads - YES.

On leg days I usually do some banded walks (I think they're called Monster walks?) and side steps for warm ups.
    Favorite exercise right now is glute ham raise. Other ones I like are cable pull throughs, single leg push down (I use the assisted pull up machine), abductor machine with butt off the seat, hip extension (can be done with a barbell, db, band, etc.) There's tons more out there. Basically anything where you squeeze your butt a lot haha.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    beerfoamy wrote: »

You can also work on glute activation. I am now very glute dominant in most of my movements.
    Kellie Davis talks about it and demos some moves here:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=dqP1qyZiwsk
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    what is your current body fat% OP?

I would suggest squats, good mornings, and looking into the strong curves program.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing strong curves and I can already see a difference. I did do the first 12 weeks with a slight calorie surplus and i know that helped but now I'm in the middle of the next 12 weeks with a small deficit and i can see a little difference in the roundness of my butt.
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,520 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    @sardelsa and @TresaAswegan - many thanks, will look into those for sure!
  • ducky653
    ducky653 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about my body fat percentage, although a shot in the dark is that it's pretty high! I've never done any weight lifting before so I've not got much muscle. I've downloaded the strong curves workouts, and I'll add good mornings to that! Thanks y'all