HRM-Eating back those calories

Options
So I'm at 1200 calories a day but I eat around 1500-1700 calories a day because I eat back my exercise calories. I see where people eat back half of their exercise calories. I know this is because MFP over estimates. But what if you have a heart rate monitor? For example for 45
Minutes of UJAM (like Zumba but more hip hop) my HRM stated I burned 400 calories. I'm 206lbs and I work hard in that class. With a HRM do you still only eat back half?

Replies

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    bsmith2016 wrote: »
    So I'm at 1200 calories a day but I eat around 1500-1700 calories a day because I eat back my exercise calories. I see where people eat back half of their exercise calories. I know this is because MFP over estimates. But what if you have a heart rate monitor? For example for 45
    Minutes of UJAM (like Zumba but more hip hop) my HRM stated I burned 400 calories. I'm 206lbs and I work hard in that class. With a HRM do you still only eat back half?

The HRM's are closer so I try for 75% with mine. Less and I feel a bit hungry before bed and have trouble sleeping. I still am losing a bit faster than the recommended 2 lbs (but I'm still 270). How have you been losing weight at this rate?
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I use a HRM for my cardio workouts and I still aim to eat 50-70% of those calories back. Even with an HRM, the calorie burned estimates you get are just that - estimates. They may be less inflated than the exercise calorie numbers MFP provides, but odds are they're still inflated. By eating a fraction of those back, I'm creating a buffer against both over inflated calories burned numbers and any inaccuracies in my food logging.

For some context, my weight loss goal is set at .5lb week and I rarely go over my calorie goal (I think I've only gone over twice, if memory serves). For the past 7 weeks since I've been on MFP, I've lost an average of .4 lb/week.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    The best I can tell, HRM use the same activity database that MFP uses but they use your heart rate to determine what level of activity you are at. This is slightly more accurate than self selection, but not by much. If you think you need to only eat half with MFP then the same is true for a HRM.
  • richplank4
    richplank4 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I use my heart rate monitor as a better estimate than the MFP calculations. I stopped eating my exercise calories back because I seemed to stall on the weight loss. Here's a good blog on the topic: http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/ask-the-dietitian-should-i-eat-back-my-exercise-calories/
  • Joramaisi3
    Joramaisi3 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm losing about one pound per week. I'm not hungry and some days I'm over and some days less but I tend to concentrate on weekly calories and usually end up averaging 1200-1300.
  • Joramaisi3
    Joramaisi3 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the article richplank.
  • KettleTO
    KettleTO Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    The answer to this question varies from person to person for the reasons other posters have mentioned. Some people can eat back their exercise calories and still meet their goals; others can only eat a portion. If I burn upwards of 400 calories (likely relative to your daily calorie goal) in workout I definitely need to eat back some. However, in the summer when I am out on my road bike and burn 1200-2000, I can be "starving" but I can't eat it all back.

The other thing is the body doesn't work on a daily balance sheet. I weekly balance would probably be better but it is much harder for people to manage. Many summer Mondays after big cycling weekends I am really hungry and need to eat over my calorie goal - I assume that is body letting me know I didn't eat enough calories back on the weekend.

I experimented and found aiming to eat back 50% of my exercise calorie burned works for me 90% other time. As other posters mention this also gives me a buffer because I am not a perfect calorie accountant.
  • PryorInc
    PryorInc Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I know everyone has their system and what works for one person may work for another. I personally don't eat back any burned calories and would be doing so until I meet a few of my goals.

So far I have not be hungry, greedy yes, but not hungry. Some time I grab a single serving of a snack and drink some water, but I'm still in deficit. My activity setting is the lowest with a 2 lbs. per week goal.

I also use fitbit, which numbers are not the same as MFP. Right now I'm losing 2 lbs. per weeks consistency, but I have a lot of weight to lose.
  • glassjailer
    glassjailer Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have been tracking for 12 weeks on MFP, loss set at 1 lb per week, and have currently lost 15 lbs, bringing me to a 1.25 lb loss per week on average.
    I eat back all my calories from workouts. Not only do I love to eat, but I am often quite hungry if I workout or not. Getting extra calories to add to my total is a fabulous incentive for me to workout regularly. Some days I eat right at my goal when I don't workout, other days I'm not working out I'll go a bit over my daily goal (250-400 cal or so) and not eat back all my calories on a heavy workout day another day.

Seems to be working for me, I am 6 lbs from my goal weight after a 90 lb loss from my highest weight. Satiety is very important to me. I'd rather listen to my body and its needs, and lose slowly while staying active and eating very nourishing (and delicious) food.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,163 Member
    Options
    The intention and proper use of MFP is to eat back your exercise calories. Often people will point to the MFP exercise numbers being high, and they may be. Then again, they may not be. I have seen enough people here who have lost at the rate they selected even eating back all the calories MFP gives them for the exercise they have done. The think to realize is there are confounding factors.

First, sometimes people set their activity level incorrectly thinking that they should include their intended exercise activity in the selection of their daily activity level. MFP activity level is only supposed to include your normal daily activities excluding exercise. If you include exercise you will be double dipping if you eat your exercise calories.

Second, many people log very inaccurately. They eyeball portions. They use volume measures like cups and spoons to measure solids rather than a kitchen scale. They use incorrect entries from the database. All these things and more will result in inaccuracies that almost always mean a person who isn't logging accurately is going to be eating more than they think. Then eating more because of exercise just increases how far over their calorie goal they are. If you are not logging accurately, eating all your exercise calories may take you out of a calorie deficit.

Third, there is the potential of overestimation of calories burned. The difficulty here is that often people have little idea of what exercise burns. Add to that the inaccuracy of exercise equipment especially the very popular elliptical which tests out very badly in terms of giving an accurate calorie count. Even HRM have up to a 30% rate of error. So eating all your exercise calories may severely reduce your deficit.

Probably the best way to proceed would be to eat 50% of them, and see how you are progressing over about a 4 week stretch. If your goal is one pound per week, and you are losing a pound and a half, eat back more of those exercise calories (another 250 per day). If you are losing half a pound a week, eat about 250 less per day. Nothing beats real world numbers. When you start, you don't have them. After about 4 weeks you have enough to start modifying how much you eat per day to get your goal.