Commuting food

Options
Hi all,

Work have asked me to commute quite far three days a week via train which involved getting up very early. Do you have any suggestions on non-smelly food which could be eaten on the go and made the night before? I have the old reliable overnight oats but am keen to get more variety in my breakfasts!

I prefer to eat about an hour after getting up at which point i will be on the train.

Thanks

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Sandwich and milk/yogurt.
  • Maaike84
    Maaike84 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    homemade breakfast muffins? smoothies?
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    String cheese, frittatas made in a muffin tin, cold strips of bacon, a smoothie with protein powder, a few slices of toast with nut butter...
  • sbmcm
    sbmcm Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Whole wheat breakfast burrito or a banana with some almonds
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Second on the home-made muffin/bread suggestion: you can bake up a dozen at a time; stuff them as you like before or after baking (make them into sandwich bread), and they are extremely portable.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Clif/protein bar
  • fruitydelicious
    fruitydelicious Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    hard boiled egg, deli meat, homemade muffins, trail mix, fruit, vegetables, fruits cups, beef jerky, yogurt, homemade breakfast cookies, homemade granola, guacamole, peanut butter, cold chicken tenders, dried fruit, nuts
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    A wrap or sandwich.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I'm on the train a lot. Well, the subway. The only thing I will really it is "hard" food that doesn't smell. Protein bars, once in awhile some beef jerky but that can smell, cucumber slices..

Who said hard boiled egg? Lmao. That's like the smelliest thing you can eat on a train besides tuna.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I'm on the train a lot. Well, the subway. The only thing I will really it is "hard" food that doesn't smell. Protein bars, once in awhile some beef jerky but that can smell, cucumber slices..

Who said hard boiled egg? Lmao. That's like the smelliest thing you can eat on a train besides tuna.

Only if it's overcooked. Hard boiled eggs shouldn't smell.
  • EricaCraigie
    EricaCraigie Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Protein pancakes.. are fine if eaten cold. Muffins.. chicken wraps.
  • jenniday1229
    jenniday1229 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My husband eats while commuting so I usually make him something handheld like a breakfast sandwich or breakfast tacos or burrito. It's easy to make 2-3 days worth of taco or burrito filling (sausage/leftover steak or chicken and scrambled eggs, grilled veggies etc) and chop up additions (tomatoes, onions, cilantro, avocado) in advance. Warm up filling in microwave, add to tortilla, sprinkle with additions, wrap in a square of aluminum foil (think food truck style, they actually sell boxes of foil squares at some stores) and you're out the door in 3 minutes. Adjust for your eating style (low carb tortillas, cheese or no cheese etc).
  • madcow132
    madcow132 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great suggestions!