my scale is bi-polar!

Options
I have to vent! I lost 12 pounds in June only to have 5 lovely pounds creep their way back while I was on a week vacation. It's so easy to gain in such a short time and now I'm working harder to lose those 5 pounds to help me stay on track. This morning the scale said I lost 2 pounds, which is fine, but I feel like my progress is slow. Two pounds a week is great, but I was hoping to lose what I gained in a week.

Do you all rely on a scale? How many times do you weigh yourself?

Replies

• bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I use my scale daily, but only log on Sundays. I need to know where I stand for the week. My weight does vary day to day by abour a pound or 2.
  • LDowning02
    LDowning02 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I detest the scale.
    For me, it deeply confuses my progress. I must rely on how I feel emotionally and the comfort fit of clothes.
    Muscle weighs more than fat...thusly as I continue to increase the intensity of my cardio/strength training...my weight varies minimal at this time.
    Anyone have suggestions how to make the scale a partner in our progress?
  • samylicious
    samylicious Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think that sometimes when you weigh yourself after a week, it can seems like you have only lost a pound or so when you are trying really hard. And then other times I have not put as much effort into it and i have actually lost nearly 4 pounds. I think that weight loss can vary week by week and although yes there is a general rule of calories in should not exceed calories out. I have suprised myself at times and lost more weight when I exceeded to many calories for the week than when I was being strict. I do not have an explaination and would definately think this was a bi polar scale issue, LOL
  • DJmom44
    DJmom44 Posts: 91
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday, but that doesn't work for everyone. I'm perfectly fine with the scale going up and down as long as the overall trend is down. It will take you more than 1 week to get your vacation weight off. It usually takes me 2 weeks. Don't give up! It will come off.
  • SheWei
    SheWei Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I was recovering from surgery and gained weight from it. When I started MFP back again in June, I promised not to weigh myself on a weekly basis. At the end of June, I lost 12 pounds, but was a little upset thinking I should've lost more. I know that sounds insane and after all, I lost 12 pounds in a month.

I've tried not to weigh myself, but want to see progress and adjust my calories accordingly with MFP food log. One thing I forgot to mention was I weighed myself on my home scale and at the gym. My home scale was my BFF as for the gym scale, I was sadly disappointed. I think from now on I will use my home scale I bought from Weight Watchers. \

I appreciate all of you and your input.