Anyone take snacks to the gym?

Options
Due to a new work schedule, I am now taking 2 classes back to back at the gym. When I did this the other day, I realized I had burned up my breakfast in my first class and was hungry by the time my second class rolled around. I have to have something on my stomach. Does anyone take snacks to the gym? I wonder if that's even allowed. I may have to keep them in my car. I'm thinking a banana or a boiled egg or something.

Replies

• MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I can't do banana or egg (it would make things a lot easier and cheaper if I could), but when I'm faced with back to back classes, I bring a Cliff bar and leave it in my locker.
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I do 3 classes back to back on Saturday. Cardio, Pump, then more cardio.
    I have omlette and smoothie about 2 hours before 1st class and take a protein bar to snack on throughout Pump and that holds me, I can't eat too much or I feel sick in second cardio class, but Pump seems to have enough 'breaks' when changing bars/music to have a mouthful here and there. Noone has ever 'told me off' for eating in the class.

I do find that after it all and shower and jacuzzi time I am absolutely ravenous - need to work on have a meal ready for after or get home faster - just that Saturday is a good day to get things done 'while out and about'
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Protein shake may also be good idea, less 'heavy' on your stomach for the second class?
  • ajwcyclist2016
    ajwcyclist2016 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    If doing a double probably wise so you're fueled for the next session. Not sure if eating in gyms is allowed. A 10 minutes break a banana is a good choice.
  • Mewlingstork
    Mewlingstork Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I've brought all sorts of snacks and protein shakes to my gym. Usually I have something with me while doing Pump or other classes. I think it's definitely a good idea to be fueled for your workouts! As long as you're being respectful and not making a mess, it should be fine.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I personally like little fruit crackers like these:

A49E490B8EF56E010DD2519D08801F12.png

I would say it's flavor is like a fig newton but with the texture of a graham cracker.

I personally can't eat too much (especially eggs, bananas, protein bars, etc.) or I will get sick to my stomach. I also have to watch how much liquid i drink or i get stomach sloshing. As such, i prefer dry and bland foods like the above.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    My lifting workouts typically take me about 2 hours, plus warm up time, if I do any cardio, etc.
    I eat before and after my workouts and have not found any need to eat during. The few times when I have I didn't notice any difference in energy.
    If I do find myself getting hungry I know I need to eat a larger preworkout meal.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Check at the gym. Sometimes, they'll have a policy on what can/can't be there - such as no nut products, due to allergies.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    i have when I've been doing long runs on the treadmill - my work schedule and ironman training don't always sync - so I've been known to be on the treadmill at 4am for an 18mile run
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Typically, I take a protein bar or clementines or a homemade trail mix of cashews, almonds, and dark chocolate chips. They can all sit out for long periods of time without me worrying about them going bad.
  • EricaCraigie
    EricaCraigie Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't but I eat before and after
  • mskimee
    mskimee Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    The gym I use to go to was fine with snacks as long as you were respectful when eating them. One guy use to bring tuna in a can, but kept emptying the oil into the shower/sink drains and it stunk the whole changing area out for days so they had a quiet word with him. As long as it's nothing that leaves a mess/smell they are pretty sound about food and drinks.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Most gyms I've been to have a no eating in the exercise areas or locker rooms. Many however have a juice bar/lounge area where it's fine.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Due to a new work schedule, I am now taking 2 classes back to back at the gym. When I did this the other day, I realized I had burned up my breakfast in my first class and was hungry by the time my second class rolled around. I have to have something on my stomach. Does anyone take snacks to the gym? I wonder if that's even allowed. I may have to keep them in my car. I'm thinking a banana or a boiled egg or something.

Definitely ok! I've had protein drinks, bananas, protein bars, and back when I couldn't run due to a hamstring injury, I brought my sport beans with me for my "long runs" on the elliptical.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Not often. If I know I'm going to run errands right after and won't be stopping for breakfast/lunch, I've brought something to eat right after but that's about it
  • Mewlingstork
    Mewlingstork Posts: 266 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I just did a muscle definition group class at the local Y this morning and snacked on a protein bar while we were doing abs because I forgot to eat beforehand. Absolutely got a funny look from the instructor but she was laughing at me, not mad. :smile: *edit typo*
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    I'd have something small then go to the gym. Workout then eat a protein bar. Wait a little bit to go in the pool. Shower and have something else while waiting to be picked up from the gym. Then have dinner when back home.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I eat pop tarts as I look smugly at the physique people as I train.