Struggling to get started

Options
It seems as though every day or night I am making a plan to begin eating better and exercising and then I end up completely failing. I have about 35 pounds to lose and I really want to get started but I can not frickin' stick with it to save my life and I am getting very down on myself about it. I know I need to just suck it up and do it but its insanely difficult to keep my mindset in it 24/7 especially because I work in a bakery..
Is there any tips that could help me to just get started already?!?

Replies

• KatieBaack
    KatieBaack Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I know for me the big thing was just keeping track of what I was eating. Not necessarily eating certain things (at least initially), the big thing was just keeping track of what I was eating. Then it was making small changes to what I was eating or how much I was eating. I was able to take 15lbs off without much effort, but then got pregnant and I'm back where I originally started.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Aim for "better", not "perfect"? Nobody's "on" 24/7.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Yep - just start logging. Even if you're thousands over - just log it. Don't worry about perfection in all you do - just worry about getting it logged. Then things will start to fall into place.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i have a plan every day to wake up having won the lotto.

hasnt happened yet, so i continue to go to work.

just start doing it. log everything and dont worry about the numbers. learn to weigh and log accurately. soon, youll start to see patterns and where you can cut back .

small changes lead to big results, if you just do it.
  • cab8038
    cab8038 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi, I began my journey to loose 50 lbs on May 23, 2016. I am now down 69 lbs and maintaining. I began one meal at a time. I started by shopping and changing my breakfasts to fresh fruit mixed with nonfat Greek yogurt. I shopped and set myself up for the week. After 1 week, I moved on to changing my lunches, salads with protein, either cottage cheese or lean meat like chicken or left over meat from dinner. Week 3 I went to changing my dinners to lean protein, fish, meat etc and at least 3 vegetables plus usually a small salad also. I have apples with 1tbsp of almond butter for snacks. I basically got rid of simple carbs in my diet. I did the same with exercise, adding more reps or longer walks, more days, each weeks. Don't beat yours of up. Take it one item at a atime. I have to say, I feel great!
  • mactaffy428
    mactaffy428 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I think this happens to almost everyone. I'd suggest (in addition to the above suggestions) to seriously consider WHY you want to lose weigh. Is it for looks? For your health? For kids/family? For you?

I've found, for me, that to get your butt in gear requires a level of "I gotta do this for me to better my life". Not doing it because your friends are smaller than you and you want to be like them. Or you think hubbie would find you better if you lost weight. But because you realize that you need to do it for you for serious reasons. If you don't have that, you may never start.

Losing weight can be difficult and it can be a long road traveled. You'll run into challenges that might not seem worth it if you don't have that internal drive or commitment. Maybe you're not ready to make the changes you will need to make; that's OK, wait a bit and see how you feel.

Just a thought. Good luck!
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    If you work in a bakery, I actually have no tips for you. The only thing you can do is try to log all the bites and tastes you take. Soon you'll see it add up, and if it's not worth it to you...you'll bring a cucumber? I don't know. I have no self control around sweets.
  • LadyDriver17
    LadyDriver17 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Start by logging EVERY BITE as lots have said here ..... & logging activities .... but set an initial goal to lose just 5% of what you weigh now. Losing even 5 % can make a difference in your numbers like blood pressure & blood sugar, & in how your clothes fit .....
  • fruitydelicious
    fruitydelicious Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I think this happens to almost everyone. I'd suggest (in addition to the above suggestions) to seriously consider WHY you want to lose weigh. Is it for looks? For your health? For kids/family? For you?

I've found, for me, that to get your butt in gear requires a level of "I gotta do this for me to better my life". Not doing it because your friends are smaller than you and you want to be like them. Or you think hubbie would find you better if you lost weight. But because you realize that you need to do it for you for serious reasons. If you don't have that, you may never start.

Losing weight can be difficult and it can be a long road traveled. You'll run into challenges that might not seem worth it if you don't have that internal drive or commitment. Maybe you're not ready to make the changes you will need to make; that's OK, wait a bit and see how you feel.

Just a thought. Good luck!

WOW !! This is awesome!!
  • sparks9777
    sparks9777 Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Log everything you eat. Use a food scale to weigh everything you eat. Most use a body scale to make yourself accountable. I measure everything I eat. Everyone around me makes fun of it. I'm losing weight.