Motivated in morning unmotivated by night

Options
How do I get better at sticking to my goals in the evening? Sometimes I get off track with my eating. :(

Replies

• pinelopi22
    pinelopi22 Posts: 18 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I am the same way. Excited in the morning, distracted by something else or worn down as the day goes on. I haven't been successful yet at sticking to an eating plan for long stretches, but I've learned something about myself recently. I need external accountability in order to meet my own internal expectations. The only times I've been successful at keeping an expectation I've set for myself have been when others were counting on me.

Last summer I wrote a page a day for one month with some friends from my writing group. Not much, I know, but it was more than I had been doing. The expectation of checking in daily with them, reporting progress, and sharing a bit of our daily results was really effective, especially the sharing part. Since then a few of us have been setting goals and keeping up with weekly check ins. It hasn't worked as well as the daily feedback for me, but it's still helping.

Last fall, I went a week with no sugar because two friends agreed to try it with me. Knowing I'd be letting them down if I faltered kept me on track and pushed me to resist temptation.

This week, my husband has agreed to try a new idea with me. We each set two habit pledges at the beginning of the week. If I keep to my two new habits, he gets a treat (not food related) next week, and vice versa. We'll add in new habits pledges each month or so as we get used to the old ones. So far, I've been doing really well at my pledges because I hate the idea of him not getting to do something he wants because I faltered.

I know it seems weak, to need external motivation in order to succeed at something you know you intrinsically want, but I just have to accept that that's the way I work.

You may not work this way at all, but I thought I'd share my (extra long) thoughts just in case.

I've learned a lot lately about habits and happiness from the Happier podcast with Gretchen Rubin and Liz Craft. Try listening if you're interested.

Good luck!
  • EricaCraigie
    EricaCraigie Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Sometimes if you have more idle time in the evening it is harder to be distracted. Just find activities and hobbies you enjoy
  • violetta5345
    violetta5345 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I work out at night after I get off work. Then I cook and eat dinner which means I have very little idle time at night. It works like a charm for me.