When your 'healthy' lunch has too many calories. :-(

Options
2»

Replies

• nicruns
    nicruns Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    that recipe DOES look great....! I may have to give it a go this weekend too! (thanks for sharing) :)
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I just pinned that! Looks great. :) If you did want lower calories, you could try a different sauce (honestly, I'd probably just grab something jarred from my fridge), cut back on the chickpeas a little (split them into 4 servings rather than 3) and up the onion (what were you planning to do with the extra half onion, anyway?)
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Lots of "healthy" foods are high in calories. Watch out for anything high fat like nuts, seeds, oils, salad dressings, etc. Also "healthy" sweeteners like honey and maple syrup etc have almost as much calories as regular sugar. Sometimes the healthier option even has more calories such as brown rice vs. white rice!

Always be aware of calorie intake if your goal is weight loss. You can over eat healthy foods too- I know because I ate "clean" and healthy for months in an attempt to lose weight and lost no weight because I was still naturally eating at maintenance. One time I even went on an all salad diet in a desperate attempt to see weight loss and I actually gained 4 pounds in a month doing that! I had to start counting calories with myfitnesspal to actually lose weight.
  • Katimira
    Katimira Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I enjoy this recipe. Of the three buddha bowl recipes I've tried so far, it's my fave. Probably of the sweet/savory play in the flavors. Which is best to go after, nutrition powerhouses or low, low calories? I'm hoping to find a happy medium.

Some high calorie foods, such as chickpeas, make me feel full, others don't as much, such as coconut. I've learned to bank on those that make me feel full. It sounds like the bowls do it for you, so keep them in your diet.
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that recipe is for 2-3 servings.

Would also like to point out that "1/3 cup of chickpeas" not the correct approach when you're trying to count calories. Using volumetric measurements like cups is highly inaccurate for solids. You should be weighing all of the solid foods you eat with a food scale, preferably in grams because grams are more accurate than ounces.

My digital scale goes to the hundredth of an ounce, but only the individual gram. Therefore, in my case, ounces is more precise since one gram is .035274 ounces.

Not that I think it matters much. Either way of measuring is likely to be effective if done accurately.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmmmmmmm now I want to make a buddha bowl!!!
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I enjoy this recipe. Of the three buddha bowl recipes I've tried so far, it's my fave. Probably of the sweet/savory play in the flavors. Which is best to go after, nutrition powerhouses or low, low calories? I'm hoping to find a happy medium.
    this recipe is actually a great example of mixing those things - by using greens as "filler", it turns a reasonable portion of chickpeas and sweet potatoes into a great meal. You learn how to use the high calorie - high nutrition foods as accents and components, and the low calories fillers to help make a meal filling and visually appealing (it looks like "enough food").
  • hookandy
    hookandy Posts: 278 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I have just popped the recipe into the recipe builder, and after a few tweeks for mis-matches this gives a per serving of 600ish for 1/3 of the dish. Looking at the method I am sure you could roast the veg with fry light and cut the oil down to 1 tbsp.

I start with a recipe and then see where I can adjust and amend to keep the basic idea and flavours but save on calories. My version of this is now about 450 per portion, well within my goals