Shin pain

Options
HI I just started the C to 5k, I just completed my first week and I'm having horrible shin pain., I don't want to stop running so I was wondering if any one else has had this problem.

Replies

• Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Yeah I go through this here and there (such as now). Make sure your shoes aren't too worn out and that you have good support. Besides that, icing it helps as well as making sure to stretch out your calves well (from my understanding, shin splints are caused from undertrained/strained muscles connected to the shins/i.e. the calf muscles).
  • mschmitm
    mschmitm Posts: 3
    Options
    I had the same problems. Turned out I had the wrong shoes. Go to a store that specializes in running shoes (I went to Up & Running) and get fitted for the proper shoe. YOU WILL BE AMAZED :) Good luck!
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Properly fit shoes will help, but my chiropractor also told me to stretch my ankles by "writing" the alphabet, both lower and uppercase, on the floor while I'm either sitting or standing. This helps stretch and develop those muscles. I did this for a few weeks and it helped a ton!

Good luck, but seriously get those shoes properly fit by a pro!!!!
  • Schwiggity
    Options
    I had the same problems. Turned out I had the wrong shoes. Go to a store that specializes in running shoes (I went to Up & Running) and get fitted for the proper shoe. YOU WILL BE AMAZED :) Good luck!

I did this as well. It's a great experience. However it can be pricey. Ask questions/advice on shoes, then say you need to think about it and make sure to shop around for the best price. The one benefit of buying from a specialty store however is that they will almost always take exchanges if you have the receipt and a little bit into training, the shoes don't work for you.
  • shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I have heard that "over-striding" can lead to shin splints. Maybe shorten your stride when you run?
  • red_hatorade
    red_hatorade Posts: 166
    Options
    Sounds like shin splints. When I started walking a couple years ago I got them bad.
  • jessbennett1986
    Options
    Properly fit shoes will help, but my chiropractor also told me to stretch my ankles by "writing" the alphabet, both lower and uppercase, on the floor while I'm either sitting or standing. This helps stretch and develop those muscles. I did this for a few weeks and it helped a ton!

I have been running for about 2 months and had shin splints about a couple weeks ago.writing the alphabet with your big toe in the air while sitting had helped tremendously and I only did it one night. Also I iced them for about 15 min at a time. My shins still hurt a little the next day but I stretched and ran again. This did not make it worse and actually helped them feel better. If you decide to run tom take it slow and remember to do stretching before and after! Good luck and friend me if you want:smile:
  • CoastieGMWife
    Options
    New shoes with better support can help or for a cheaper alternative you can try dr scholls sport insoles. They provide extra arch support, and those combined with better shoes completely eliminated all my shin pain.

No matter what you choose do not ignore this. You can severly injure yourself.
  • monjet13
    monjet13 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm going to a store here in Portland tomorrow. I guess they have a tred mill with a pressure sensor and a camera so they can analize your stride and then recommend shoes. tomorrows a rest day so I'm going to ice twenty minutes on twenty minutes off. I'm so excited.... my sister just started C25K today!
  • Schwiggity
    Options

I have been running for about 2 months and had shin splints about a couple weeks ago.writing the alphabet with your big toe in the air while sitting had helped tremendously and I only did it one night. Also I iced them for about 15 min at a time. My shins still hurt a little the next day but I stretched and ran again. This did not make it worse and actually helped them feel better. If you decide to run tom take it slow and remember to do stretching before and after! Good luck and friend me if you want:smile:

That take on stretching the ankles is pretty cool. Just tried it out and it felt pretty good. Thanks for the tip!
  • monjet13
    monjet13 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I just did the alphabet and my shins feel allot better thanks!!