Cardio only weight loss or weight training?

Options
Any opinions ? Would i burn the fat quicker
strickly doing cardio and then pick up weight training later once i reach my goal ? Or just alternate ? Has anyone reached their goals yet with this method please let me know ...

Replies

• Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Do both and make sure you are eating at a calories deficit.
  • tynapea3
    tynapea3 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Okay so is it necessary to always drink protein shakes after or before lifting
  • slowbubblecar
    slowbubblecar Posts: 91 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Shakes are not necessary if you are meeting your macros but are usually taken after.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    tynapea3 wrote: »
    Okay so is it necessary to always drink protein shakes after or before lifting

Protein shakes are just supplements to help you hit protein targets if you're otherwise not doing so with your diet and food. There is likely some benefit to post exercise protein consumption for elite level lifters, bodybuilders, etc...it's not really particularly applicable to your average Joe/Jane trying to just get a little fitness...
  • leooftheyear
    leooftheyear Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    If you're looking to recomp your body and maintain Lean Muscle Mass while losing weight, I'd say strength training ASAP (I highly recommend picking up a copy of Strong or New Rules of Lifting for Women by and reading http://www.thenewrulesoflifting.com ). For heart health, stress reduction and heart health cardio is the way to go. Just remember you can't exercise out a bad diet.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I lost 45lbs doing strength training with a tiny sprinkle of cardio here and there. You can do it either way...doesn't matter.
  • tynapea3
    Options
    So if im targeting to basic toning and mainly burning fat , i wouldnt necessarily have to do alot of weight lifting either way ?
  • leooftheyear
    leooftheyear Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    tynapea3 wrote: »
    So if im targeting to basic toning and mainly burning fat , i wouldnt necessarily have to do alot of weight lifting either way ?

Actually, if that was your goal, I'd specifically do strength training. I very highly recommend checking out one of the books that I mentioned in my previous post (http://www.thenewrulesoflifting.com) This will not only answer all of your questions but give you a program to follow!
  • tynapea3
    Options
    cnbbnc wrote: »
    I lost 45lbs doing strength training with a tiny sprinkle of cardio here and there. You can do it either way...doesn't matter.

What kind of strength training did you target?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Eating at a calorie deficit is best. Weight training helps you retain muscle and look better when you're done. Start now. Also do cardio. I did all of these and lost 148 lbs.
  • Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    @leooftheyear Does New Rules require more equipment than free weights?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Stella3838 wrote: »

IIRC: a cable station. But, you might be able to get away with substitutions, if necessary.
  • Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    IIRC: a cable station. But, you might be able to get away with substitutions, if necessary.

I would love to lift heavy, but I'm having trouble figuring out if/how to do it in a somewhat modest home gym.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Stella3838 wrote: »

It has some cable stuff, but those movements aren't at the foundation of the program...you can substitute other things for those.
  • tynapea3
    Options
    What are the best weight training strategies for toning arms, inner thighs and butt?