Anyone post-menopausal trying to loose weight?

Options
PRMCRN
PRMCRN Posts: 2 Member
Hi, I'm Mary, 51 years old, and I have gained about 30 pounds in the last 18 months while going through menopause. I need to loose around 50-60 pounds now! Anyone having difficulty loosing weight after this happens?

Replies

• astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I'm 48 and gained about 30 in the last year - BUT I suspect most if it was my own fault and not going through menopause...I changed from an active to sedentary job, exercised a LOT less, ate and drank a lot more - which explains the gain...
    Back on the wagon - not doing any other exercise than walking 10 000 steps per day (recovering from a loooong bout of pneumonia) eating my allotted calories with a 40p/30c/30f macro split, and am losing again - slowly but surely..... just stick to it!
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I am 53 and was officially in menopause this past December. I started here in September thinking I wouldn't be able to lose since I was menopausal. I did have to be very strict and after a few weeks, the weight came off pretty well. I was surprised. I can't really "blame" menopause anymore. I was just eating too much. Granted, when I was younger, I could eat more and not gain, but with aging (not so much menopause), you lose muscle mass and your burn rates go down.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Me! I'm menopausal. I've really only gained about 5Lbs. and consider myself in maintenance, but do need to keep an eye on things right now. I am finding it challenging. I think it differs for each of us, with insulin resistance (common in menopause) playing a part for some.

Theres a group of lovely women to join.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/506-near-or-post-menopausal-group
  • scjacquin
    scjacquin Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm 56 and have lost 40 since this past August. Slowly but surely it's coming off and I think slow is the best approach. I still have 30-40 to go and hope to be there in the next six months.
  • flaminica
    flaminica Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I lost 90 pounds in 18 months while going through menopause and it was a snap. If anything, it's easier because you don't have to factor in monthly fluctuations in water weight. You can do it! Good luck!
  • cabwj
    cabwj Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I am 56 and post-menopausal. I've lost 82 pounds so far. I wouldn't say it's been a snap but I don't think it's been any harder than it was when I was younger.
  • skatemom61
    skatemom61 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm 55. I've slowly gained about 25 lbs over the past 5 years and I'd really like to get it off, It's a struggle. I go down a few, then back up...at least I'm holding steady I guess...I just keep plugging. It's so difficult. Any tips would help for sure. I'm vegetarian, so strict NO CARBS isn't an option, but I've cut back on the simple carbs and calories in general. I know it's a life change situation.
  • Lynda652017
    Lynda652017 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I'm 51 (almost 52) and not yet fully in menopause but it's been a long haul through peri-menopause (about 5-6 years). I gained a steady 1 lb a month during that time and now have about 50-60lbs to lose. Add stress (job, family, moving, house renovations etc) and I've been pumping out cortisone like a crazy person which hasn't helped the weight issue. Since Christmas time I have lost 10lbs though. And that is through being vigilant with # of calories going in my 'pie hole'. lol. I'm sticking to 1200-1300 calories a day 5-6 days a week with 1-2 days (every 3-4 days) of maintenance level eating (circa 1800 calories per day). I'm losing about 2-2.5lbs a week with that strategy. I started with weighing and measuring to get a grip on portion size. I find this fitness pal app very helpful to keep track of everything I eat/drink.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I'm 51 (almost 52) and not yet fully in menopause but it's been a long haul through peri-menopause (about 5-6 years). I gained a steady 1 lb a month during that time and now have about 50-60lbs to lose. Add stress (job, family, moving, house renovations etc) and I've been pumping out cortisone like a crazy person which hasn't helped the weight issue. Since Christmas time I have lost 10lbs though. And that is through being vigilant with # of calories going in my 'pie hole'. lol. I'm sticking to 1200-1300 calories a day 5-6 days a week with 1-2 days (every 3-4 days) of maintenance level eating (circa 1800 calories per day). I'm losing about 2-2.5lbs a week with that strategy. I started with weighing and measuring to get a grip on portion size. I find this fitness pal app very helpful to keep track of everything I eat/drink.

To clarify: you're eating 1200-1300? Or netting? TIA.
  • PRMCRN
    PRMCRN Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You are all so inspiring!! I feel much better now knowing it's not impossible.