Do you still use your fitbit?

Options

Replies

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,973 Member
    Options
    I have a One and I love it. It clips to my bra so I don't have to worry about getting extra "steps" when I am washing dishes, etc. or missing steps when walking my dogs (I hold them close to my side so not a lot of arm swinging) or pushing a buggy at the grocery store. Plus it is discrete and I don't like to wear bracelets. I lost a little faster than expected while using it and now that I am in maintenance I still lose a little so I think that it actually underestimates my calorie burns. I have seen people say it overestimates calorie burn, but that has not been my experience.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I stopped wearing my fitbit flex over the summer because I don't take enough steps to matter. I have a sit down job and would rather go to the gym after work and lift weights than concentrate on my lack of steps. I meal prep and focus on the foods I'm eating too. I realize you are entering a contest/competition for steps, however in my life I find counting steps worthless.
  • itsmyvwbeetle
    itsmyvwbeetle Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I use the alta. It doesnt get all my steps, if I am walking slow then it doesnt count them. Also for me my alta actually gives me less calories then MFP based on burns and daily activity. I do like the hourly reminders to get up and move and I know it helps me be more active during my day.
  • kali31337
    kali31337 Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    I love my Fitbit ChargeHR2. I work at a desk all day and it's been very helpful to remind me to get up and move every hour. Since, I've started working out regularly, it's been nice to track my workouts and the calorie burn...although I don't usually eat them back. I had another heart-rate monitor that was a little more accurate but it was a chest strap and wasn't very useful for everyday purposes.
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Fitbit Charge HR.
    On 2/3/17 it will be 4 years that I have had a fit bit.
    I think it is extremely accurate for step based activities.
    A great motivator to get me to move more.
    Their customer service is fantastic!
    Love mine, or I would not have had one this long.
  • pacingoamy
    pacingoamy Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit surge and love it. This model has gps so it's helpful on my jogs and hikes. I found it's just as reliable as carrying my phone. Likewise, I have a desk job where I have to purposefully MAKE myself get up and walk steps when I may not be able to bring my phone. The fitbit helps me by showing me how this is actively working to benefit me and the sync with MFP helps me concentrate on other things rather than exercise and step administration.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I currently have the Alta. I've been using FitBit for years and I love it. I think so many people have such unrealistic expectations of what it should do and then they are dissapointed, but if you use it the way its intended to be used it is a great tool.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I've been using mine off and on for the past two years. I have the Charge HR, and I like it. It's comfortable enough, it does count my steps and stairs (which is nice). I got it b/c I work a lot of evenings and I was curious about the amount steps I was getting. Although, I won't like I felt like the Garmin Vivofit was a bit more accurate step wise, but it can't give a consistent heart rate reading b/c it has the chest strap. I'm thinking of moving on to an Apple Watch just b/c it's pretty. But the price tag for that thing has kept me from giving in.

The problem with activity trackers for me is that I can't wear them during pole b/c I don't want to scratch the pole, my tracker, and I don't want to get stuck trying to wiggle my wrist out of a position b/c the tracker is in the way.

But for everyday use, I do like the Fitbit, Garmin, and I've heard good things about the Apple Watch. I think it all comes down to how much money you want to spend and which features are most important to you.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I've been using my Fitbit Charge HR for two years or so to help me get an idea of my TDEE. I don't fret too much over accuracies, just consistency.

Even body scales aren't 100 percent, but I weigh everyday and aim for a steady downward.
  • quiarga
    quiarga Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I've had the Fitbit charge for just over a year now. I could care less what the calorie burn says, I never even look at that part. I just try to always meet my step goal and stair count. And it's nice to see the time or who's calling without checking my phone! ;) The sleep tracker is also interesting. I definitely see better results when I'm getting enough sleep, and when it shows and hour or two during the day where it thinks I'm asleep I realize I need to get up and move around more instead of being a couch potato). Use it for what works best for you!
  • crosbylee
    crosbylee Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    Love 'em so much I have two! I wear the Blaze during the day for steps and all. I have a Charge HR2 that replaced my dead HR. I wear that one at night to track my sleep because it is less bulky. I have been using one for a couple of years now. I don't focus on the calories so much as just getting up and moving.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I have a fitbit flex that I really like. I use it for the step count and activity level breakdown. I'm currently in maintenance, but am still trying to up my daily steps and time lightly active. I found the step counter to be fairly accurate (except when grocery shopping as it won't count steps while pushing a cart).
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I started with a Fitbit One - until I forget it was in my pocket and jumped into the pool - and now I have a Fitbit HR. I don't use it to figure out exactly my calories burned so that I can adjust my intake. I use it to make sure I don't sit on my bottom all day (desk job). After 3 years of tracking on and off, I know where my TDEE ranges ... as long as I don't sit all day. My Fitbit (as would any other quality activity tracker) makes sure I'm getting enough motion throughout the day.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Used the Charge HR from July 2014 until the Charge 2 came out and now I use that. I find it to be extremely accurate for me, if not slightly underestimating my TDEE. No activity tracker will be perfect but, like others have stated, a lot of the complaints are actually due to user error rather than inaccuracies via the Fitbit.

I will never forget the guy who wrote about how Fitbit sucks and it made him gain weight. He thought the calorie burn amount on the Fitbit was additional calories he could eat in addition to his calorie allotment on MFP. So if he got 2000 calories via MFP, but his TDEE via Fitbit was 3200, he would eat 5200 calories for the day. Of course he gained weight! His mistake was not reading the manual, then blaming Fitbit for his issues. You know that this can't be the only case of user misunderstanding either.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit One and have worn it nearly every day for 3+ years. There have been a couple situations of forgetting to take it off the charger when I get out of the shower. Its been instrumental in making me aware of my activity level and getting me to move more.

I do not like the wrist worn devices, and I really fear they're going to stop selling the One. They only have a 1 year warranty, and while mine works fine I know it won't last forever...
    nablackb wrote: »
    Good morning!

My work is having a step competition over the next few months and they provided us a pedometer that's cheap, inaccurate and basically useless. I have a Fitbit flex that I decided to start using instead. I know there has been articles that shows Fitbit's aren't as helpful or accurate as people would hope them to be.

What are your thoughts on Fitbits? Which model do you have and why do you find it helpful/useful or not?

Any other constructive advice is appreciated. Thank you in advance! :)

• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit One. It's actually supposed to be quite accurate for steps, and I have counted myself and it comes out correctly as well. Honestly, I forgot about it because I lost my charger and was too lazy to find it, but it's always done a good job when I get back on the fitbit wagon.

My knee is healing right now, and it's helping me go from virtually no steps at all to monitoring the amount of steps I'm taking while I try to strengthen without overdoing it.
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I have fitbit One, and I personally think it's a LOT more accurate than the ones you wear on your wrist. If you work with your hands a lot, the wearable watch one is registering steps! Mine is worn on the waist and only actually tallies when my legs are a'movin'.

I love my fitbit.

I also have a Polar m400. It consistently has me at higher steps (because of the wrist thing, I am thinking). I do love it though. I mostly use it because of the integrated GPS for running outdoors and the HRM during exercise.
  • nealashleyc
    nealashleyc Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've gone from the Fitbit Zip to the Charge to now the Charge HR. Waiting until this one falls apart or dies until I get the Charge HR 2.

I use it solely to count steps, sometimes for activity minutes. I sync it to MFP so I can see how many calories I've burned, however I never eat them back. I feel like too many people DO eat them back and yeah, it's not going to be totally accurate. My Fitbit says I burned like 1200 calories yesterday because I walked almost 20000 steps. If I ate 1200 calories ON TOP of the 1200 calories I try to eat on a normal basis... I'm not going to lose any weight. I feel like that should just be common sense.
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I have fitbit One, and I personally think it's a LOT more accurate than the ones you wear on your wrist. If you work with your hands a lot, the wearable watch one is registering steps! Mine is worn on the waist and only actually tallies when my legs are a'movin'.

I love my fitbit.

I also have a Polar m400. It consistently has me at higher steps (because of the wrist thing, I am thinking). I do love it though. I mostly use it because of the integrated GPS for running outdoors and the HRM during exercise.

I actually had a One first, then a Force (discontinued), and now a Charge HR.

I wore the One and the Force at the same time, and there was very little difference in step count between the 2 fitbits. Now I usually have my iphone in my pocket at the same time and the step counts are close as well. One thing it does not do well with is if you are pushing a shopping cart (ie: grocery shopping) For some reason it does not pick up all steps, so I usually put it in my pocket at the grocery store.

• FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options

I love my fitbit.

I actually had a One first, then a Force (discontinued), and now a Charge HR.

I wore the One and the Force at the same time, and there was very little difference in step count between the 2 fitbits. Now I usually have my iphone in my pocket at the same time and the step counts are close as well. One thing it does not do well with is if you are pushing a shopping cart (ie: grocery shopping) For some reason it does not pick up all steps, so I usually put it in my pocket at the grocery store.

well, the cook at my work gets twice as many steps as me (I'm talking he is always at 30,000 steps working in a box area)... and I'm the one doing the running! I know it's because of his hands being very busy. Do you work with your hands a lot? He is constantly working with his, and it is counting it as steps because of the moving.