Favorite Healthy Meals

Options
What are some amazing meals to help with weight loss? Please share. I am only two weeks in and need some good recipes please.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Weight loss happens when you consistently eat fewer calories than you burn. No meals can override that fact. But a diet filled with foods that are so good that you are satisfied with an appropriate amount, will make it easier to keep eating less.

We have our individual taste preferences. I like a lot of different foods and it's impossible to name a few favorites. I don't even use recipes for most meals. Right now I'm eating chili made with lamb mince, tomato passata, onions, squash, barley, peppers and celery. I suggest you get a cookbook and look for something you want to try, or ask for specific recipes in the recipe section.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I started out with lean cuisine. Of course eventually I realized I was eating more carb and less vegetables and protein than I wanted so I started to change my old standby's to be healthier. I replaced alot of my pasta (which I used to love) with vegetables that had been spiralized. I lowered the fat content on the sauces by subbing in no fat or low fat cream cheese (for cream sauces) or adding extra mushrooms or green pepper to my red sauce. We eat taco's once a week made with extra-lean ground beef or chicken/turkey. I don't use flour tortilla's anymore I use the small corn ones which are much lower in calories and more filling. I fry them in a no stick pan with a short burst of Pam. Many meals are lean meat grilled, boiled potato or roasted potato and some type of green or otherwiese healthy vegetable. (Corn and Peas are higher in calories but I eat them occasionally). To be honest the best thing to do is make your old standby's healthier. You are going to want to go back to favorite recipes at some point so if you find ways to make that healthier you won't fall back into old habits. Lastly I discovered that I didn't need massive portions. That was a true eye opener for me. Now if I eat a big helping I get a stomach ache, lol. Also try the websites www.inspiralized.com and www.skinnymom.com They have lean recipes that sound really good.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I take my favorite recipes & see if there are ways I can tweak them to be lower calorie.

SkinnyTaste & CookingLight are great websites to try. This is one of my favorites from Cooking Light

Stuffed Pepper Soup

1/2 pound ground round
    2 cups chopped green bell pepper
    1 cup chopped onion
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    1 (14-ounce) can less-sodium beef broth
    1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
    1 (10 3/4-ounce) can tomato soup, undiluted
    1 1/2 cups hot cooked white rice

Heat a small Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add beef; cook 3 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Add chopped green bell pepper and onion; cook 8 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in black pepper, less-sodium beef broth, diced tomatoes, and tomato soup; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 45 minutes.
    Spoon 1/4 cup hot cooked white rice into each of 6 bowls; top with 1 cup soup.

*Variations: for tomato soup I use Amy's or Progresso - Campbell's too sweet (IMO). I also like to add some basil. You can use brown rice. Red & green pepper combo is nice.

"Healthy" is rather subjective so you may need to tweak this for whatever your definition is.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I get most of my recipes from Pinterest...IMO, cooking meals using scratch, whole ingredients and minimally processed ingredients is pretty healthy. I eat a ton of different things as I enjoy variety. You're going to lose weight if you're consistently in a calorie deficit..."healthy" meals doesn't default to weight loss...I eat very healthy for the most part and maintain my weight because I eat a maintenance level of calories.

Also note that "healthy" doesn't really have anything to do with caloric density. If you're looking primarily for lower calorie meals, look at sites like skinnytaste or eatingwell or cookinglight. I prefer to just use recipes I find on Pinterest and I tweak them as need be...usually it's more about how much oil is being used...I typically use less than most recipes call for.
  • MamaGraff
    MamaGraff Posts: 39 Member
    Options
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Tacos!
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Pintrest is my friend and you can usually alter some ingredients to make recipes healthy. Recently I've discovered:
    Turkeyburger casserole
    3 Bean Turkey Chili
    Asian spice chicken stir fry
    Healthy pasta bake
    Low fat stuffed mushrooms
    Fajita bowl
    Protein pancakes
    and more!
    All of these recipes were approved by my boyfriend - who went back for seconds lol :smiley:
  • SarahBelle43
    SarahBelle43 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I love to cook and have been finding *sneaky* ways to make may favorite meals more healthy.
    Spaghetti and meatballs = Turkey meatballs & Spaghetti squash, with a veggie packed sauce!
    Rice = cauliflower rice. You can get it pre-made in the frozen food section, but I just take frozen cauliflower, through it in the ninja blender, and sauté it right up! Top with whatever is in your fridge for a healthy stir fry
    Also, I have re-discovered soups. So filling and packed with nutrition if you make it from a veggie base.
    Also, I always keep a bag of frozen peppers and onions in my freezer to make whipping up a healthy omelet an easy go-to meal when I don't have much time or energy
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Turkey chili with lean ground turkey, black beans and chopped peppers, onions and celery--so good

I often have an egg white omelet with lots of veggies, feta and a slice of wheat with some coconut oil melted on top (an easy light dinner)

I will mix couscous or quinoa with black beans, salsa and reduced fat mexican cheese and add a tablespoon of fresh avocado on it

Grilled chicken over quinoa with chopped veggies (lately on an asparagus kick) sauteed in a tsp of olive oil

My favorite combo lately is frozen scallops and quinoa with fall vegetables (like squash) and goat cheese
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I just discovered riced cauliflower. It is great for making a quick low carb stir-fry. I basically take left over chicken, beef or pork and throw in some veggies (what ever I have on hand like carrots,celery, peppers, onion) and fry up with a tiny amount of oil then add some soy sauce or coconut amino and sesame oil and riced cauliflower. You really don't miss the rice.