Tips to avoid late-night, fatigue-induced snacking?

Options
Hello,

I do great throughout the day with eating well and tracking my calories, but I find that between 8-10PM I begin snacking on junk (mostly my kids' snack crackers) and all of my hard work seems to go out the window.

I know that boredom and fatigue play a part in this and am curious if anyone has any tips on how to avoid these triggers for late night snacking. It's frustrating to do so well all day and then throw a lot of that progress out of the window during the last few hours of the day.

Replies

• leooftheyear
    leooftheyear Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Keep your hands busy, only take out a portion and put the rest away or try gum/hot tea/brushing your teeth.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I have started having a hot cup of caffeine free tea at 8:30 and go to bed at 9. As a result, I wake up at 5 and have a whole "new" hour to work out.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I have a similar problem. The thing that makes the biggest difference for me is going to bed earlier.

When my insomnia kicks in, I'm up late into the night and at that hour I am most desiring of a sweet snack and least caring about my goals and no one is around to observe me blowing it.

I'm taking melatonin to help me get sleepy and going to bed before the danger time. It's working well for now.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Avoid mindless eating. No matter what time of day. Meaning if you choose to eat something, that is fine. But take out your portion, weigh it, log it and eat. Or prelog, weigh, then update the portion logged later. Do not eat from the bag/box/bowl. Getting in that habit for during the day should help in the evening also.

And think of other things to do if you're bored/tired. Take a bath. Read a book. Go for a walk.
  • Dee_D33
    Dee_D33 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Bored eating used to be bad for me at nighttime as well. I started making my biggest meal dinner and i follow it up with a cup of hot tea, usually green tea, then I go to bed. I used to be a night owl, but by going to bed when I find myself starting to get bored and wanting junk I completely changed my schedule around. Not to mention that once I'm comfy in bed at night, nothing will get me out... not even the thought of food. :)
  • blueeyetea
    blueeyetea Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Are you doing anything while you're snaking like watch TV or read? I say either prepare some healthy snacks ahead of time and have those instead, or add a rule to have the crackers, i.e. you have to sit at your kitchen table, no tv, no reading, and do nothing but eat the crackers. At some some, you'll feel ridiculous that you need the crackers, or it will be too much bother.

Put it off for 15 minutes.

I started drinking herbal teas from David's tea. With names like "Coco Chai Rooisbos" or "Birthday Cake Rooisbos", they feel very indulgent without the calories.

• sarahmbm
    sarahmbm Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    These are all very helpful. Thank you so much.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I'd also reconsider the crackers, period. How about some nice fresh microwaved popcorn: 3.5 CUPS A SERVING for about 160 calories!!!
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    kenyonhaff wrote: »
    I'd also reconsider the crackers, period. How about some nice fresh microwaved popcorn: 3.5 CUPS A SERVING for about 160 calories!!!

It's also a whole grain, which means you get a good amount of fiber! :)
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I prefer stovetop popcorn. I found a method that pops every kernel and burns none.

3 tablespoons vegetable oil
    1/3 cup popcorn kernels
    medium saucepan and lid

Add oil and ~4 kernels into pot, medium-high heat. When those kernels pop, turn the heat off and add the rest. Count slowly to 20 while the kernels warm up in the hot oil. Turn heat back on to medium-high and wait. When the pot starts to fill, shake it a little to get heavier unpopped kernels to fall to the bottom. When popping stops, remove from heat.

If you want salt on your popcorn, you can add that before they pop and the action of popping will disperse it.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Save calories for that time. I LOVE eating between 8-10. I push my dinner to 7:30 and have dessert around 9. It makes like an hour or two out of the afternoon a little painful but, it's worth it.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    If you are fatigued, go to bed.
  • JusticeAshley
    JusticeAshley Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    kenyonhaff wrote: »

Yes! I recently started eating popcorn as a snack. It's low calories for a pretty big portion. I've also been eating American Farmers kettle corn, which is 120 calories for 2 and 1/2 cups and it tastes really good.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I prefer stovetop popcorn. I found a method that pops every kernel and burns none.

3 tablespoons vegetable oil
    1/3 cup popcorn kernels
    medium saucepan and lid

Add oil and ~4 kernels into pot, medium-high heat. When those kernels pop, turn the heat off and add the rest. Count slowly to 20 while the kernels warm up in the hot oil. Turn heat back on to medium-high and wait. When the pot starts to fill, shake it a little to get heavier unpopped kernels to fall to the bottom. When popping stops, remove from heat.

If you want salt on your popcorn, you can add that before they pop and the action of popping will disperse it.
    Thank you for the recipe, i will be sure to try it. I never turn the heat completely off, just turn it down some after the first kernels pop, and usually get very good results with most popped. I love stovetop made popcorn, i make mine with olive oil. Also, didn't know you can add salt before cooking it. Thanks for posting.