coffee and weight loss!?

Options
So I have heard that drinking coffee can prevent weight loss. I was wondering if anyone has stopped drinking coffee or other caffinated drinks and lost weight as a result. I am mainly asking women because I know it is different with men. I drink one cup of coffee in the morning and aside from that I drink no cafffine at all. I am just wondering if cutting out that one cup is really going on make a difference with my weight loss.

Replies

• fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I doubt it will make a difference. I haven't been trying for very long, but I'm losing weight, and I love caffeine. I'm on my 3rd Pepsi Max today, and I had a green tea. I have 3-5 caffeinated beverages on any given day.
  • sarahb225
    sarahb225 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I drink a venti cup of Starbucks brewed coffee every morning and have lost 62 lbs. since January. I figure if that's my only vice then i'm ok!
  • reactor25
    reactor25 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee, tea, or espresso everyday and I have been losing weight.
  • oplik
    oplik Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Ive lost 55 pounds and drink loads of coffee.
  • KellyBurton1
    KellyBurton1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I drink one cup of caffinated in the morning as well,
  • mommachef
    mommachef Posts: 52
    Options
    I've been drinking coffee and, even worse, CocaCola Classic and am dropping pounds too!
  • Peep_chic
    Peep_chic Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Lost 30 (although my ticker only shows the last 10) and didn't deprive myself
    of coffee or the ocasional diet soda.
  • gisellybean
    gisellybean Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    One cup of coffee is actually helpful, in my opinion. I feel like my metabolism gets a little kickstart with it in the morning!

The only time it isn't helpful for weight loss is when it's mostly cream and sugar and you're drinking many cups a day, because the cream is where the calories are. Everything in moderation, right? =)
  • honeyX0
    honeyX0 Posts: 26
    Options
    I doubt it will make a difference. I haven't been trying for very long, but I'm losing weight, and I love caffeine. I'm on my 3rd Pepsi Max today, and I had a green tea. I have 3-5 caffeinated beverages on any given day.

I LOVE Pepsi Max!!
  • monstr0sity
    Options
    I drink a lot of tea and coffee. I used to have 2 sugars and milk but I've cut out sugar and only a little bit of milk now. I'm still losing :) It's made no difference to my weight loss.
  • InTheRightLane
    Options
    Coffee can actually help assist you lose weight by boosting your metabolism a little.

From the Mayo Clinic (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeine/HQ00369):

Question

Caffeine: Can it help me lose weight?
    Does caffeine help with weight loss?

Answer
    from Katherine Zeratsky, R.D., L.D.

Caffeine may slightly boost weight loss or prevent weight gain, but there's no sound evidence that increased caffeine consumption results in significant or permanent weight loss.

Caffeine is found in many beverages, including coffee, tea, energy drinks and colas; in products containing cocoa or chocolate; and in a variety of medications and dietary supplements, including supplements aimed at weight loss.

Although research about the connection between caffeine and weight isn't definitive, there are several theories about how caffeine might affect weight, including:

Appetite suppression. Caffeine may reduce your desire to eat for a brief time, but there's not enough evidence to show that long-term consumption aids weight loss.

Calorie burning. Caffeine may stimulate thermogenesis — one way your body generates heat and energy from digesting food. But this probably isn't enough to produce significant weight loss.

Water loss. In some people, caffeine can act as a diuretic, which means it increases the amount of urine you excrete. This increase in urine output, mostly water loss, may temporarily decrease your body weight, but it doesn't result in the loss of body fat.

Some studies looking at caffeine and weight were poor quality or done on animals, making the results questionable or hard to generalize to humans. In addition, some studies found that even decaffeinated coffee may contribute to modest weight loss, suggesting that substances or factors besides caffeine may play a role in weight loss.

The bottom line: Be cautious about using caffeine products to help with weight loss. When used in moderation, caffeine is generally safe. But too much caffeine might cause nervousness, insomnia, nausea, increased blood pressure and other problems. Also, some caffeinated beverages, such as specialty coffees, are high in calories and fat. So instead of losing weight, you might actually gain weight if you drink too many of these.
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I've only heard the opposite, but never researched, the opposite. My understanding is that in moderation the caffeine speeds heart rate that in turn speeds metabolism. Not sure any of this is correct but, I drink a cup of black coffee most days (purely because I like it).
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee all day but it's decaf... I even mix it in my protein shakes. I drink it for the flavor, not the caffeine.

(If you're drinking a lot of caffeine, I wouldn't count it towards your fluids for the day though since its a diuretic)
  • winneau
    winneau Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Modest amounts of caffeine actually have a thermogenic effect and can help support your metabolism, as well as help curb your appetite. I wouldn't go nuts-- and I would definitely watch the add-ins-- but I drink coffee everyday!!
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    Options
    I drink one coffee a day/5 days a week.

Today I had a Starbucks - grande -iced - sugar free vanilla - soy - latte. It was the highlight of my morning and I have lost 76 lbs so it can't be all bad.

Everything in moderation I suppose.

:love:
  • prettyinpink246
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! That is really good to know what I can have my one cup of coffee!! I was thinking I already have given up juice and soda I cant give up this!! :)