Low calorie cookbooks

Options
brandan2293
brandan2293 Posts: 1 Member
I love MyFitnessPal and their recipes. I love they give so many options of actually good food where the meal is under 200,300,400 calories. That's exactly what I'm looking for in a cookbook. Does MyFitnessPal have a cookbook with recipes and how to prepare directions like that? If not, is there a way to contact them and see if that's an option they can sell? If all else fails, does anyone recommend a cookbook that is all about meals under 500 calories? A lot of cookbooks are healthy, but are mainly comprised of recipes that normally wouldn't be used. Thanks in advance and I would greatly appreciate any help!

Replies

• SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    I borrowed this one from the library and it seems pretty decent - it's divided into sections for 0-199 calories, 200-299, and 300-399. There's a nice variety of recipes, including vegetarian options and some treats and desserts.

The only problem I've found so far is that although the recipes are calorie counted and include weights as well as measurements (e.g. "1 cup (50g)"), when I enter the recipes into MFPs recipe builder they've been coming out at higher counts than the book lists. I'm not sure why, since I'm going by weight and finding database entries that I think are accurate, but it's irritating when you think your dinner is going to fit into your day and then you discover you've been pushed over the limit. I decided I have to enter them into the builder first, before logging, just to be sure!

Amazon also has a bunch of other recipe books with calorie-counted recipes, particularly the "Hungry Girl" range, apparently (they came up a lot in the "other people bought..." section), but I haven't used any of those so I can't comment. :)
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I use a series of cookbooks by the Podlanski sisters - LooneySpoons, Crazy Plates, Eat Shrink and be Merry and the LooneySpoons Collection. Wide variety of recipes, all with calorie count and serving size. Written with good humour and insight. I love them!
  • mgood924
    mgood924 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I second the Skinnytaste books. Gina is fantastic and her recipes are delicious! I found her website first and after trying a few of her recipes, I had to buy her books!