Calories burnt while standing...

Options
It is very possible I might be getting a part time job where I could be standing for serveral hours at a time. Does anyone know if I could burn any good amount of calories? I know I would never get my heart rate up but...surely it would count for something. LOL

Replies

• allison_joan
    allison_joan Posts: 115
    Options
    I'm not sure how much the increase would be but you definitely burn more calories standing than sitting even if you aren't doing anything else!
  • jp09m
    jp09m Posts: 89
    Options
    you burn calories doing anything, even sleeping. you actually burn almost 100cal/hr while you sleep.

don't get the wrong idea though. this doesnt mean you should eat an extra 100 calories per hour you sleep, nor should you significantly increase your calorie intake cause your standing on your feet more. an apple or banana might help you with energy, and will probably balance out the amount of calories burned.

hope that helped.
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    i think it would be easier to change your daily activity level instead of adding the calories every day.
  • EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I just went to the exercise database and typed in "standing".. It had a couple options, so I picked the standing by the riverbank fishing and typed in 60 minutes.. It said I would burn 247 standing by the riverbank fishing for an hour.. Not too bad if you ask me!!:love:
  • abalicious
    abalicious Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    i think it would be easier to change your daily activity level instead of adding the calories every day.

Agree.
  • maryd4love
    maryd4love Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I just went to the exercise database and typed in "standing".. It had a couple options, so I picked the standing by the riverbank fishing and typed in 60 minutes.. It said I would burn 247 standing by the riverbank fishing for an hour.. Not too bad if you ask me!!:love:

Yes, I found that also and it said 300 and something for me for the same amount of time. But...if I times that by 5 hours or so....that is a lot of calories...so, I think I should probably not count them. But I shouldn't feel bad if I eat a little more calories on those days.
  • caitastic24
    caitastic24 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    hey!

i have a job in retail and typically work 8 hour shifts. i am constantly moving on the floor. i have my normal daily activity set at lightly active because the amount of exercise at my job can very based on the day of the week. i usually log the calories burned at my job only if i am above my calories and felt that i really worked hard that day (mostly weekends). i always feel bad about it so it isn't really a good habit to start. plus, if you don't log it and still eat under your calorie goal, you will lose weight much faster. i have lost 14lbs in about a month so this way is working for me! (:

good luck!

Caitlin