First marathon...eep!

Options
infinikitty
infinikitty Posts: 440 Member
edited August 2016 in Motivation and Support
I'm starting 40 weeks of training tomorrow toward my third half marathon in November, then continuing on to my first marathon in March. I'd love as much support as possible...any other runners with similar goals?! :-)

7zaq0bujzv83.jpg

Replies

• dn0pes
    dn0pes Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same goals ran my 3rd - 1/2 marathon last weekend in Pasadena. I am running the LA marathon in March. My first full marathon. When I am running those distances I always ask myself - What the F*&&&(* are you doing? I don't run. However, I trudge on to the finish. So, I guess I am a runner. Weird epiphany.
  • mybattle2006
    mybattle2006 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    The half is my favorite distance!!! I'll support you any way that I can
  • MountainHiker48
    MountainHiker48 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I was a competitive swimmer in high school, then a bicycle racer in the years after that. So it naturally fell that as I got older I should try getting into triathlons. The trouble is, I am a painfully slow runner and it is my least favorite event. I pushed myself through triathlons, starting with short ones, and over time, moving up enough that I was finally able to complete the Ironman. It still doesn't make running any easier. I am not a fan of road running, though I still like to enter the odd 10-K here and there. Since I also enjoy hiking, I've gotten around some of the boring training by doing it as trail runs. I am much happier running in the woods than I am through endless neighborhoods of concrete and houses. My best advice is to keep on doing what you need to accomplish your goal, but don't be afraid to try alternative training methods when (not if) things get difficult or boring. Change things up if needed to keep yourself from quitting. And check in here often for support!