I cannot seem to stop eating at night

Options
lately or for the last 3 weeks I've been eating a lot at night. like snack after snack. do anyone have any advice on how to keep outta of the fridge?

Replies

• Sedu1906
    Sedu1906 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Try going to bed earlier
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I also save enough calories for something I enjoy...sugar free hot cocoa at only 25 calories a pop is totally worth it! It's tough though...I don't think snacking at night is often about being hungry (at least for me!)
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    I pre-plan an evening snack. Tonight, I'm planning for 2 Wasa crackers with extra sharp cheddar and PB. I'll also have tea with lemon and sweetener. Just knowing it's there, waiting for me, keeps me from mindlessly noshing.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    1. Keep your food environment deficit friendly...If you don't bring a pack of oreos in the house, you can't eat them.
    2. Save calories for the end of the day so you can look forward to a LOGGED treat. I save about 250. Whole pint of halo top ice cream.
    3. Chew gum, drink tea, eat high volume veg and lean meats throughout the day.
    4. Check your macro percentages and find a way of eating that works for you.
  • yogagirlT
    yogagirlT Posts: 91 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Also, if you have PMS and feeling hormonal that can kickstart the munchies, especially sweet and salty cravings. If it is just regular hunger, I agree with the other suggestions, especially with bulking up on fiber and healthy fats (i.e. add avocado to your salad) at dinner.

I usually eat an apple for dessert or I am on a kick with this easy dessert--chop up an apple, bake until soft, sprinkle slivered almonds and cinnamon on top. Sometimes I add a sprinkle of dried oatmeal and about 1 tablespoon of Greek yogurt. My version of a healthy apple crisp.

I struggle with late night snacking too and I have noticed that when I eat complex carbs and more fiber at dinner it helps me feel full. Also, steamed veggies like broccoli paired with protein, i.e. chicken or fish tends to make me feel satiated at dinner. Other dinner ideas like a hearty chili also fills me up (think fiber from the beans). I also drink herbal tea with a little honey at night if I have a sweet craving.
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    This happens to me if I didn't eat a full breakfast I need lots of calories in the morning or I will snack all night.
  • slong12041989
    slong12041989 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I get super snacky at night too so I keep high volume/low calorie foods around. This can help if you just feel like eating but aren't necessarily hungry. Examples might be fat free lightly salted popcorn or baby carrots (or any non-starch veggie really) with 1-2 Tbsp. of hummus. My go to snack for sweet cravings is frozen banana (pre-slice and freeze them) and a Tbsp. of natural peanut butter mixed up in a food processor, add a small splash of milk if it is too thick to mix. Only about 200 calories and really hits the spot! You can even add some baking cocoa powder (unsweetened, the kind I get is 35 cal per Tbsp.) so it can fulfill a chocolate craving too!

I'm going to have to try yogagirlT's baked apple idea, yum!

I agree with other posters who have said that if you know you crave a night time snack, try to plan it into your daily calories. Also agree with the brushing your teeth suggestion, always keeps me from wanting to eat more.

One last thing I can think of would be keeping positive, motivating mantras or photos on your fridge and pantry/cabinets, that way each time you go to get another snack you're reminded of why you are trying to be healthier.

Good luck!
  • getinshape54
    getinshape54 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello I'm new here and I'll introduce myself as lazy hate exercise and so unmotivated.
    I'm not overweight but so out of shape.I also just turned 54 need some motivation
  • nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    If I'm going to eat at night (which I'm going to), I pick something that takes effort to make. Not a ton of effort, but more than just grab-and-go, like a Chocolate Covered Katie mug cake. The making it takes away some of the mindless eating and when I eat it, then there's an extra level of satisfaction over just eating a bag of cookies that I don't usually grab something easy afterwards.
  • DarkSinestra
    DarkSinestra Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    What everyone else has said has been spot on. Brushing my teeth 30-45 minutes after dinner and going to bed earlier did the trick for me with the added benefit that I finally started getting enough sleep. If that isn't feasible, try putting together a "snack pack" for yourself earlier in the day and sticking it in the fridge in its own little container. Allow for its calorie count with the rest of your eating, but make it as varied or creative as you like. That way it's ONE trip to the fridge for your pack, which you can eat at your own pace throughout the rest of the night until bedtime.
  • orangebloodedbabe
    orangebloodedbabe Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You don't have to stay out of the fridge just plan for that evening snack and make it fit your calorie and macronutrient intake. Make sure that the snack is mostly protein and casein is the best bc it is slow absorbing. My fav night time snacks are greek yogurt with berries and a drizzle of dark chocolate and an egg white enchilada, where i swap the tortilla for egg whites. play around with some new recipes until you find things that you love and that satisfy you. http://www.hungry-girl.com/ has AMAZING swaps and recipes that let you cheat without the guilt.
  • jbeth30
    jbeth30 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Don't restrict foods you actually enjoy during the day. Really pay close attention to what you really want your calories to go towards...not just what you think they should go towards. A lot of times we continue to eat st night because we are still looking for satisfaction.....even when we are full. I also keep berries on hand. Blueberries are 80 calories for a whole cup! They are small...so one at a time and it takes a while to eat them. If you want something sweet just add some whip cream to them. Fruit is filling and has nutrients. As the others have said leave a few calories for the end of the day. Get away from your kitchen. If you have an open concept living arrangement where your living room is right on top of your kitchen then you may need to move into a different room at night time. Tv watching might be a trigger for you to eat too. Perhaps it's become habit to eat in front of it. I used to also eat at night. Now after my son goes to bed I also prepare for bed and pretty much stay the rest of the evening in my room either reading or watching a show in my room even. I hope you find what works for you! I know it's such a struggle.
  • jbeth30
    jbeth30 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    What everyone else has said has been spot on. Brushing my teeth 30-45 minutes after dinner and going to bed earlier did the trick for me with the added benefit that I finally started getting enough sleep. If that isn't feasible, try putting together a "snack pack" for yourself earlier in the day and sticking it in the fridge in its own little container. Allow for its calorie count with the rest of your eating, but make it as varied or creative as you like. That way it's ONE trip to the fridge for your pack, which you can eat at your own pace throughout the rest of the night until bedtime.[/

I love the pack idea! I want to try this for myself! I pack my sons lunch everyday...why not a snack pack for myself at night! Great idea.
  • pneschich
    pneschich Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Evenings are the worst for me. If I need the mindless crunch bell pepper strips or carrots are my choice. I find the busier I stay the less I snack. It is a will power struggle for me. I will find myself in the kitchen more out of habit than hunger. Logging helped me see how big of a problem it is for me. That awareness has helped me turn around many nights.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I pre-log the snacks. The thing that has helped the most is 2 oz of scotch or whiskey at 8 or 9. I love wine but this takes away my wine craving, gives me a feeling of "having my cake and eating it too", is giving me practice for learning moderation, and makes me feel full and takes away my snacking mood. I sip it slowly, over an hour.