Gym question

Options
Hello,

I have been with my fitness pal for 213 days and I managed to lose 24 kg/52 lbs. I have been doing some cardio with Jessica Smith Tv and recently I started going to gym(stationary bike mostly).

I know that there isn't anything like spot weight loss, but I really want to lose some upper arm fat. My colleague who frequents gym for muscle gain joined me today and following his advice, I was lifting some weight.

I was wondering if regular weight lifting will contribute to weight loss or will it just give me larger arms? What is your opinion on this?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    There's no way as a women eating at a calorie deficit you're going to get big and bulky lifting weights unless you start taking illegal steroids along with it. Weight lifting does great things for the body - it can firm up all those jiggly bits and pieces!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    All physical activity burns calories. If you lift weights and then don't eat back the calories that you burn and don't reduce the rest of your activity there rest of your day, your calorie deficit will increase. In that instance, weight lifting will contribute to weight loss. However, that weight will include fat that comes from all over your body, not specifically from your arms. Exercising a specific area does not melt fat off of that area.
  • agnatkowa
    agnatkowa Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hmm I see. I was afraid that despite a diet I will get even bulkier arms. Let's see where it takes me :)
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Absolutely lifting weights even for women is the fountain of youth. When done naturally, our female bodies do not have the hormones to get to bulky no matter how hard you lift. That is a myth. The bulky look is always from excess fat and/or enhancing hormones that are not natural. Go for it, keep lifting heavier as you get stronger. The key is to lift heavy enough to absolutly need the rest break between sets yet keep good form.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I lift regularly but because I am also losing weight I have lost an inch off my biceps.

I suggest you take measurements so you can objectively compare progress.
  • agnatkowa
    agnatkowa Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your input :smiley: I am a bit relieved now.
  • tarothelp
    tarothelp Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    If you can afford it get yourself a trainer at the gym and learn how to lift and squat and lunge etc. properly. It will change everything for you! You will never look back. I believe this is especially true for a woman. There is something very empowering about weight lifting. I won't grow into the hulk because you are not a man and especially if you are running a caloric deficit and not eating to bulk. Do it!! U won't regret it. A strong sexy physique is amazing and you get that with muscle!!
  • MakerLing81
    MakerLing81 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have started going to gym for one month. But It doen't work well. :'(
  • patslitzker
    patslitzker Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to them. You can build muscle on a deficit, it's just a slower process especially considering you're a woman. But gains will be made.
  • suzesvelte
    suzesvelte Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    My mate and I are starting to use weights in a bid to improve the look of our arms. We have used a couple of videos on youtube to get us started, this one suits us:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUychjqfO8I&t=441s
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    It takes a lot of weight lifting to result in seeing much bulk. When eating at a deficit it is unlikely that you are providing enough extra protein to see those gains anyway (though not impossible).
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    LIFT!! Lifting will give you the muscle you want and eating at maintenance or a small deficit will help you lose the fat covering the muscle. I've only been lifting since April, but it's made a big change in my body. Less jiggle, more definition, and I am a size smaller than I was at my previous fittest (college). My arms in no way look hulk-ish.

Find a good lifting program, like New Rules of Lifting for Women.
  • patslitzker
    patslitzker Posts: 127 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Lifting gives you a tight body, toight like a tiger.