20-30 Lbs to lose

Options
Avid cyclist looking to drop 20 - 30 lbs. Also a serious sugar addict so trying to cut that too for my own health and plus I'd hate to pass that on to my kids.

Replies

• EricaCraigie
    EricaCraigie Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    I find yogurt can give you a fix for sweet :) good luck with your weight loss!
  • Sedu1906
    Sedu1906 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Not a fan of yogurt but maybe I'll give it a shot.
  • mylinhdc
    mylinhdc Posts: 5 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I wasn't a fan about yogurt either but probiotics in pill form hurt my stomach for some reason. After realizing that I started eating yogurt again but with honey or sometime I add blueberries which help you recover from workouts.
    It's an acquired taste but give it a try. Listen to your body. Your body will crave what it needs. =]
  • Sedu1906
    Options
    mylinhdc wrote: »
    I wasn't a fan about yogurt either but probiotics in pill form hurt my stomach for some reason. After realizing that I started eating yogurt again but with honey or sometime I add blueberries which help you recover from workouts.
    It's an acquired taste but give it a try. Listen to your body. Your body will crave what it needs. =]

Maybe I'll try this thing called yogurt. I guess it can't be all that bad. I'll let you know if it kills me.
  • LauraGail0710
    LauraGail0710 Posts: 5 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I would be careful with the yogurt. A lot of yogurts have a lot of added sugar. Check the labels if going that route. I fight my sugar cravings with bananas or grapes. They have a lot of their own natural sugar but it beats reaching for processed sugar filled items. Plus, because of all the fiber that fruit has to go with it you don't get major blood sugar spikes and the subsequently sugar crash.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    @Sedu1906 - I understand. I used to love sugar from candy. I learned once I weaned myself off of it I didn't crave it as much.

However, weeks later I would end up falling off the wagon and going right back. It was a never-ending cycle!

What I have been doing for the past couple of years is making own on treats at home. They satisfy my sweet tooth, but I don't find them addicting like store-bought items so I make a batch of something and have it last all week.

Even things like jello, store-bought pudding or a square or two of 72% dark chocolate helps me as well. Now I have a sweet treat everyday without overdoing it and with no guilt.

Good luck!
  • serenity1097
    serenity1097 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I always find that I have a sweet craving mid afternoon...a square of Ghirardelli Intense Dark and I am good to go. A sweet treat for me and still plenty of room for all of that boring "good" stuff, haha!!! Good luck :)
  • Sedu1906
    Options
    It's funny, around 2pm every day my body starts asking me for chocolate. I've been using almonds and pistachios as substitutes and this week I've brought oranges to work. So I'm finding ways to get around the sugar. But breaking any addiction requires a certain level of self-discipline which is something I admittedly do not always have.
  • Sedu1906
    Options
    rainbow198 wrote: »
    @Sedu1906 - I understand. I used to love sugar from candy. I learned once I weaned myself off of it I didn't crave it as much.

However, weeks later I would end up falling off the wagon and going right back. It was a never-ending cycle!

What I have been doing for the past couple of years is making own on treats at home. They satisfy my sweet tooth, but I don't find them addicting like store-bought items so I make a batch of something and have it last all week.

Even things like jello, store-bought pudding or a square or two of 72% dark chocolate helps me as well. Now I have a sweet treat everyday without overdoing it and with no guilt.

Good luck!
    rainbow198 wrote: »

Good luck!

Yeah, the store bought/packaged sweets are horrible. I've done the whole30 program once upon a time and had to prepare my own snacks at home...it worked, but I can imagine your home prepared snacks are far better than mine.
  • tramaine_21
    tramaine_21 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Icelandic yogurtt is a lot better tasting than Greek yogurt. Give it a try. I've been trying Smari...there are others like Siggi as well.
  • Fit_in_Folsom
    Fit_in_Folsom Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I use to race bikes and many of my friends are very high end Cyclists (Cat 2-3). I had a huge sugar craving as well. What I did was went to protein shakes at night with chocolate flavored protein. It did the fix. My friends that weigh 140 just tough it out eating tons of veggies....Not what I can do ;-)
  • Sedu1906
    Options
    I use to race bikes and many of my friends are very high end Cyclists (Cat 2-3). I had a huge sugar craving as well. What I did was went to protein shakes at night with chocolate flavored protein. It did the fix. My friends that weigh 140 just tough it out eating tons of veggies....Not what I can do ;-)

I used to do protein shakes regularly.
  • Sedu1906
    Options
    Icelandic yogurtt is a lot better tasting than Greek yogurt. Give it a try. I've been trying Smari...there are others like Siggi as well.

I'm not familiar with Icelandic yogurt. Maybe I'll give it a look.
  • Fit_in_Folsom
    Fit_in_Folsom Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Sedu1906 wrote: »

I used to do protein shakes regularly.

what I do now for sweets is protein shakes with a bit of fat to curve the hunger. My famous is chocolate protein powder, vanilla coconut milk, low sugar chocolate syrup, and some peanut or cashew butter. It satisfied the sweet and was fairly good for me... just had to watch the chocolate syrup ;-)