Is it better to jog 10 minutes [9 minute mile] or brisk walk

Options
I hate jogging. I love walking

I have the privilege to be able to go on an 80 minute brisk walk/power walk.

My jogging time right now is only 10 minutes. i hate jogging and i'm bad at it.

Is there some magic behind jogging/running that i'm missing here?

because i'd muuchh rather do 80 minutes of briskly walking than 10 minutes of jogging.

Replies

• farfalledibaciodinotte
    farfalledibaciodinotte Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    find a pace, a rhythm .... and just keep breathing :)
  • Ginger1384
    Ginger1384 Posts: 42
    Options
    I'm not good at jogging either. And I don't do power walks either. I'm hoping to build up to it.
  • JeffGDDG
    JeffGDDG Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    They say the best exercise is the one you'll do. If you want to walk, walk. Running will burn more calories over the same amount of minutes or miles but I would think 80 minutes of power walking several times a week will get you pretty fit. Good luck!
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Is it feasible to do the 10 minute jog and then continue with walking until your time is up? Might as well get that heart rate up as quickly as you can and then let it take a little while to settle down....
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    If you don't like to jog/run, then by all means...don't do it. You're supposed to enjoy your exercise in order to keep at it. With that said, maybe try jog/walk intervals for a change of pace (no pun intended)? But if you don't like it, don't do it. I love to run and struggle to strength train and stretch most days...but it's important, so I make myself. But what type of cardio you do doesn't matter, as long as you do it!
  • BOGmama2010
    BOGmama2010 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I've read that you burn about 100 calories per mile, whether you walk or run. You just complete the miles faster when you jog and thus burn more calories in the same amount of time. However, if you don't mind walking for a longer period of time and are doing it briskly (say 3.5 mph), I think you are fine. If you are doing it on a treadmill, try to increase your incline. If outside, try to find a place with hills. :D
  • c2sky
    c2sky Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    If you only jog as far as you can, you will always hate it. If you really want to see what all the fuss is about, try a walk/run program, like c25k or my 10 week program which should be done 3 times per week, and you should not progress to the next week without getting the program done 3 times in a week. If it gets too hard, repeat a week. Do not do all out runs, but comfortable jogs. You can increase your speed later, when you get a 30 minute foundation of running down.

Here it is:

(based on a 30 minute routine, following a warm up of at least 5 minutes walking)
    Week 1: Walk briskly 9 minutes, jog comfortably and correctly 1 minute. Repeat 2 x's. Cool down.
    Week 2: Walk briskly 8 minutes, jog 2. Repeat 2 x's. Cool down.
    Follow this same pattern for the next few weeks.
    Week 3: Walk 7/run 3 (repeat 2x's)
    Week 4: Walk 6/run 4 (repeat 2 x's)
    Week 5: Walk 5/run 5 (repeat 2 x's)
    Week 6: Walk 4/run 6 (repeat 2 x's)
    Week 7: Walk 3/run 7 (repeat 2x's)
    Week 8: Walk 2/run 8 (repeat 2 x's)
    Week 9: Walk 1/run 9 (repeat 2 x's)
    Week 10: Walk 1/run 14 (repeat 1 x)
    Reward week: After warm up, jog 30 minutes without stopping!
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Just find a can of spray paint , and write something naughty on a squad car. It's amazing how well you can run after that!
  • c2sky
    Options
    If you only jog as far as you can, you will always hate it. If you really want to see what all the fuss is about, try a walk/run program, like c25k or my 10 week program which should be done 3 times per week, and you should not progress to the next week without getting the program done 3 times in a week. If it gets too hard, repeat a week. Do not do all out runs, but comfortable jogs. You can increase your speed later, when you get a 30 minute foundation fo running down.

Here it is:

(based on a 30 minute routine, following a warm up of at least 5 minutes walking)
    Week 1: Walk briskly 9 minutes, jog comfortably and corerctly 1 minute. Repeat 2 x's. Cool down.
    Week 2: Walk briskly 8 minutes, jog 2. Repeat 2 x's. Cool down.
    Follow this same pattern for the next few weeks.
    Week 3: Walk 7/run 3 (repeat 2x's)
    Week 4: Walk 6/run 4 (repeat 2 x's)
    Week 5: Walk 5/run 5 (repeat 2 x's)
    Week 6: Walk 4/run 6 (repeat 2 x's)
    Week 7: Walk 3/run 7 (repeat 2x's)
    Week 8: Walk 2/run 8 (repeat 2 x's)
    Week 9: Walk 1/run 9 (repeat 2 x's)
    Week 10: Walk 1/run 14 (repeat 1 x)
    Reward week: After warm up, jog 30 minutes without stopping!

oh and disclaimer: always check with your doctor, before starting any new exercise program.
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I've read that you burn about 100 calories per mile, whether you walk or run. You just complete the miles faster when you jog and thus burn more calories in the same amount of time.
    Totally untrue in my case! I think it varies widely from person to person, but even in general... try walking in place and running in place. You don't travel at all, but you'd definitely burn more by running in place.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to run, then why are you asking about it? The best exercise is the kind you can do consistently.
  • AnaBackwards
    Options
    If you don't want to run, then why are you asking about it? The best exercise is the kind you can do consistently.

because if there really is a huge difference in benefits between the 2 then i'll make myself do it
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options

because if there really is a huge difference in benefits between the 2 then i'll make myself do it

It's only calories burned over the same time spent. If you prefer to walk, just make sure it's a challenging pace, and be prepared to spend a bit more time exercising to burn the same calories as a runner.
  • c2sky
    Options

Then, try this. I did it because I had to for my job. Now I LOVE running.
  • c2sky
    Options
    I meant try the program I sent ya.