5 pounds

Options
My weight goes up and down 5 pounds . I'm 5 ft and take 1200 calories . Do I need to eat less to get out of being stuck ???

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Water weight can easily cause a 3-5 pound fluctuation. Increase your intake of water, as it can help water weight to balance.

You don't indicate if you're needing to lose weight, or how long its been fluctuating in the same 5 pound range.
    mstein5195 wrote: »
    My weight goes up and down 5 pounds . I'm 5 ft and take 1200 calories . Do I need to eat less to get out of being stuck ???

• michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    do you have a food scale? how are you measuring your calories?
  • goalsforever03
    goalsforever03 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Measuring cups but I mostly eat things that have the specific amount on the packaging
  • goalsforever03
    Options
    I gave up on working out so maybe that's y I'm not really making any progress
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    I gave up on working out so maybe that's y I'm not really making any progress

You can lose weight without exercise. Get and use a food scale. Measuring cups are not good for solid foods and packages are allowed to be off by 20%.

I'm on mobile, but someone may come along with the video about why you should weigh solids.

@CafeRacer808! I need you dude
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I lose 3 pounds between the time I go to bed at night and when I step out of the shower in the morning. 5 pound fluxuation isn't unusual.
  • goalsforever03
    Options
    I'm not losing below that five pounds .. I feel stuck .. I don't have lot to lose but I want to lose 10 pounds ..that's all in the belly !! And I don't want to do sit ups bc then I will bulge bc of my fat :/
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Measuring cups but I mostly eat things that have the specific amount on the packaging

The actual weight in the package isn't always going to match what is printed on the package. Legally, there is a variance that companies have to stay within. I've found calorie differences on many items when I compare the actual weight to the package weight. Many people who have found themselves stuck have found that improving their logging accuracy with a food scale helped them get past it.

Personally I was in a loop of gaining and losing the same 5 pounds until I began more accurately logging.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    Options
    I'm not losing below that five pounds .. I feel stuck .. I don't have lot to lose but I want to lose 10 pounds ..that's all in the belly !! And I don't want to do sit ups bc then I will bulge bc of my fat :/

To lose fat, you have to be in a calorie deficit. Sit ups aren't required. You are likely eating more than you think and because you are small, you have a small calorie deficit so accuracy is vital for you. You're not starting at 300lbs so you don't have a large deficit. You can only afford to lose half a pound a week if you don't want to starve.

I ate a granola bar a few days ago. On the package, it said 190 calories for 39g or whatever the weight was. I weighed it and it was 45g. That means it was more calories than it said. This is the importance of a food scale. That extra 6g meant more calories than the package said, and that adds up quick if you have a small deficit.
  • goalsforever03
    Options
    Does it matter what food scale I get ? I always try to save at least 40 to 100 calories incase I measure wrong
  • joaniebalonie088
    joaniebalonie088 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Wow, I never went as far as to measure out food when I was eating an entire prepackaged item. I'll have to keep that in mind if I stall out closer to my goal.

Also, that's annoying :wink:
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Wow, I never went as far as to measure out food when I was eating an entire prepackaged item. I'll have to keep that in mind if I stall out closer to my goal.

Also, that's annoying :wink:

Yeah -- as your deficits get smaller, many of us find that accuracy becomes more important. Of course, we also have a lot of people here who got all the way to goal without having to weigh pre-packaged items.
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Does it matter what food scale I get ? I always try to save at least 40 to 100 calories incase I measure wrong

Any food scale will do- large supermarkets like Walmart or Asda sell them cheaply. I prefer the digital flat type ones where you use your own bowl or plate. So quick to use - pop your plate on, zero the scale then add your food. No extra washing up!
  • sammyliftsandeats
    Options
    @mstein5195 - here is a video on why it is important to use a food scale vs measuring cups.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpHykP6e_Uk
  • Shawn_in_OKC
    Shawn_in_OKC Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    @mstein5195 - here is a video on why it is important to use a food scale vs measuring cups.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpHykP6e_Uk

His broken 1/2 cup looked more like a 2/3 cup