A huge NSV for me + overcoming anxiety at the gym

Options
RosyTea
RosyTea Posts: 49 Member
edited January 2017 in Success Stories
Yesterday I got my very first pair of boxing gloves (& wraps) that I can call my very own. I cannot begin to express how much these mean to me as a NSV, or how much they signify. I started this journey back in October 2016 and have come a long way in overcoming anxiety associated with working out and trying new things. I wanted to try boxing for over 10 years and I finally entered my first boxing club in December, I fell in love with the sport at my first class and my life is all the better for it.

I am proud to say that as of October, I truly am on a journey. I have a much stronger understanding of what that means, and have learned how to celebrate the small successes. They are what makes the journey fun and exciting. I am no longer taking on more than I can handle by only looking at the big picture and have found peace within myself.

Thank you for reading, have a great weekend and all the best on your own journey! :)
2eyoexifyqge.jpg
My babies <3

Replies

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    To me those gloves say, "I'm about to beat the *kitten* out of weight loss."
  • RosyTea
    Options
    To me those gloves say, "I'm about to beat the *kitten* out of weight loss."

@fitoverfortymom hahaha I love it! :mrgreen:
  • sweetpea813
    sweetpea813 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I had gym anxiety too but I've been going regularly a little over a year now and I've become one of the "regulars" which is not always good because I talk too much sometimes
  • RosyTea
    Options
    I'm definitely a regular at both clubs now, it's always fun to go in and chat with staff and say hello to other regulars. I find it also helps keep you accountable. Part of overcoming my anxiety was accepting my body's limitations and realizing that it takes time and patience to learn new skills. With tah being said, working out regularly has made me more comfortable in my own skin and helped to me love my body and what it can do.
  • that_coolnerd
    that_coolnerd Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    That's awesome!! It's always amazing when you find the part of fitness that fits you best.
  • RosyTea
    Options
    @that_coolnerd Thank you! I love my workouts now! It makes all the difference :)
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Ooh!!!! I like them!!!
    Congrats on beating your gym anxiety!!! I'm still trying to beat mine lol. I go at 4.30am just so I won't see anyone else there. My twisted logic makes me think they'll look at me and judge me. One day I'll be as awesome as you and join a class :smiley:
  • sweetpea813
    sweetpea813 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Ooh!!!! I like them!!!
    Congrats on beating your gym anxiety!!! I'm still trying to beat mine lol. I go at 4.30am just so I won't see anyone else there. My twisted logic makes me think they'll look at me and judge me. One day I'll be as awesome as you and join a class :smiley:

I used to think like you and tried to go to the gym at the slow hours when it wasn't packed. One day, I just decided to join a class and I found that everybody watches the teacher and themselves in the mirror. I haven't experienced any kind of judging in the classes. I've made so many new friends in my classes and I look forward to going. This was a big deal for me because I'm mostly an introvert and sometimes get social anxiety.
  • Gimsteinn
    Gimsteinn Posts: 7,678 Member
    Options
    Yay! Congrats.
  • jayneway0317
    jayneway0317 Posts: 5 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I'm a gym regular and have been a gym rat for about 10 years (I also like too much beer and yummy restaurant food lol). OK.. so here is what goes through my head when I see a newbie.. truly... "OH yay! A new person! It takes guts to try a new class. I hope she loves it! I'm so proud of her! Just keep going! OMG this class is hard I'm dying.. did I leave the dryer on? "

Get the picture? ALL of the regulars were new once too.. I want you to have a good time and I'm cheering you on! But mostly I'm worried about not falling over myself. I don't care what you wear or what kind of shape you are in.. I just hope that you feel great b/c I love exercise and I like other people who like exercise too :)
  • jessicalferrara
    jessicalferrara Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    So awesome! I love the gloves! I was never one to join a class. I liked going to the gym and doing my own thing. I would get on the elliptical and zone out, but in November, right after the dreaded Thanksgiving dinner, my friend talked me into joining Orangetheory Fitness, and I fell in love after the first class. I remember thinking about what I look like doing this, but once I was in there no one looked or even cared what I was doing, they were all focused on themselves. I just work on bettering myself each time I go, and using the heart rate monitor as a guide for my workout.

Keep up the great work!
  • RosyTea
    Options
    I have had the delight in joining the best of both world as I train independently with a personal trainer 3x a week and box with small classes 3x a week. Working with my trainer was what made me overcome the bulk of my anxiety as he was there with me through the most uncomfortable/embarrassing of times. Hip thrusters and stretches to open the hips feel very compromising when you first perform them, but along with accepting my limitations all of that melted away. Without the confidence I gained strength training I never would have been able to start boxing. It was so hard for me to walk through the door my first class but I did it! Incredible feeling. I am happier every day now. :) Thanks for your responses :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!