Deep Tissue Massage

Options
Had my first one in a while on Monday for an hour and worked out last night. My quads and hamstrings felt sore and tired and sort of heavy and dead feeling if that makes sense. so I had to keep stopping ti rest a min or two. I did learn some new stretches and was advised not to do my 80 mins on the elliptical, but to stop at 60-65 mins as thats what they believe is making my hamstrings so tight even though I stretch a lot.

This happen to anyone else?

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Raising the incline on the machine might use your hams less, and pedaling backwards should too. You can also switch to a rowing machine.

Just curious - why so much elliptical?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    The day after I get a deep tissue massage feels the same as DOMS.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I went into shock from deep tissue massage so no thanks.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    After a deep tissue massage I like to stretch the next day and do some light exercise...maybe a walk. Why you spend so much time on the Elliptical?
  • Nysportsred
    Nysportsred Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    To be honest I got kind of ocd with the elliptical as far as the mileage. I did 60 mins then said I could do more do I did 65, and so on. Now mentally it is almost like I feel I HAVE to hit the 15 or 16 (i switch it up) mile mark to not gain back the weight (have lost 50 pounds and 7 inches off my waist) which takes me about 80 mins. Its like a mental block. Feels like if I do less it's like I gave up. Any of this make ANY sense?

It's weird too because I am not typically an ocd person.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    If I am really tight I typically feel extremely sore the day after a deep tissue massage. Felt like I got hit by a bus after my first one. Gets better if you keep up with it and don't let yourself get that tight.
    The elliptical is really hard on my quads, so I try to mix it up and do other things.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Ice is nice.
  • megemrj
    megemrj Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I always get deep tissue massage. I have a high pain threshold and feel like the massage was a waste if I can't feel it later.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,141 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Exactly! I want a massage that relaxes my muscles and body not one that makes me hurt. I had only a couple of deep tissue massages and the "after" felt worse than the "before," so I am done with them. Ice, rest, and stretching do the trick for me.
    Edited for spelling
  • ISO905
    ISO905 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Ever consider using a foam roller instead of going for a massage? They work incredibly well. Plus, your tight hamstrings could also be caused by muscular imbalances such as weak glutes and weak core. Foam rolling and then stretching your hamstrings followed by glute activation exercises like floor bridges as a warm-up may help.

I'm a little surprised that they think that 80 minutes of elliptical is too much for your hamstrings but 15 minutes less is ok
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I do normal massage (relaxation), myofascial massage (treatment for some injuries) as well as foam rolling - but there are places I need to get to that I can't use a foam roller on
  • ISO905
    ISO905 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I do normal massage (relaxation), myofascial massage (treatment for some injuries) as well as foam rolling - but there are places I need to get to that I can't use a foam roller on

To get to those "tricky" areas that a foam roller can't quite get you can use a baseball or golf ball for places like the upper traps, feet etc.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    ISO905 wrote: »

To get to those "tricky" areas that a foam roller can't quite get you can use a baseball or golf ball for places like the upper traps, feet etc.

Oh I do - I'm well versed in self massage but having a professional do it at times helps
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options

it's really nice to go limp and just let someone else do all the work though.
    was advised not to do my 80 mins on the elliptical, but to stop at 60-65 mins

so did you take the advice? :tongue:

• Nysportsred
    Nysportsred Posts: 222 Member
    Options

so did you take the advice? :tongue:

[/quote]

baby steps :smile: My wife said next time I go on, after 65 minutes she is opening the door and letting my 3 year old run in and do her "why?" routine until I stop.
    Ever consider using a foam roller instead of going for a massage? They work incredibly well. Plus, your tight hamstrings could also be caused by muscular imbalances such as weak glutes and weak core. Foam rolling and then stretching your hamstrings followed by glute activation exercises like floor bridges as a warm-up may help.

I use a massage stick, but from time to time getting a massage done and letting someone with knowledge of what they are looking for and how to get rid of it is a good idea for me since I have no clue. Usually dont do it that long though.

I'm a little surprised that they think that 80 minutes of elliptical is too much for your hamstrings but 15 minutes less is ok

I know. A friend of mine had some leg issues years back and the doctor told him to cut his treadmill time by 20 minutes and within 6 months it had a huge impact on him feeling better.
  • not_a_runner
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Exactly! I want a massage that relaxes my muscles and body not one that makes me hurt. I had only a couple of deep tissue massages and the "after" felt worse than the "before," so I am done with them. Ice, rest, and stretching do the trick for me.
    Edited for spelling

It's love/hate for me. I usually try to grit my teeth and let her get into knots and such as much as she can, because I know I'll feel better and have better workouts if I can get rid of them. My muscles didn't seem to know how to relax until I started getting massages.
  • samhennings
    samhennings Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Had my first one in a while on Monday for an hour and worked out last night. My quads and hamstrings felt sore and tired and sort of heavy and dead feeling if that makes sense. so I had to keep stopping ti rest a min or two. I did learn some new stretches and was advised not to do my 80 mins on the elliptical, but to stop at 60-65 mins as thats what they believe is making my hamstrings so tight even though I stretch a lot.

Last time I had a deep tissue massage I felt like I had been beaten up for a couple of days afterwards, all part of the process I am afraid.
  • not_a_runner
    Options

Last time I had a deep tissue massage I felt like I had been beaten up for a couple of days afterwards, all part of the process I am afraid.

It seriously gets way better if you keep up with it! Now that I'm foam rolling regularly in between massages I feel great after/the next day. Very different from when I had my first massage.
  • mrsbatman314
    mrsbatman314 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I get a deep tissue once a month...You should never feel a great amount of pain afterwards! It means there was way too much pressure used. It is normal to feel slightly sore but it should never stop you from normal activity or last more than a day! Your massage therapist should know what amount of pressure to be beneficial! I once had a severe injury and my therapist massaged even lighter I was ready for a rough one but she said when muscles fight back it means the muscle is protecting something which is doing it's job...so find the right pressure and you will feel great!