Losing weight after caesarean

Options
It's difficult losing weight when you can't workout because of stitches, backache and other medical problems after child birth . Plus not much time neither strength is left when taking care of little one . Any advice or want to share similar experience. Need some motivation

Replies

• kksmom1789
    kksmom1789 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I never have had a c-section but I have two kids and counting calories and trying to get a walk in when I can has helped me lose weight I am finally almost below my starting weight with my almost 8 year old. plus walking and pushing a stroller is great exercise!
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    You should not be actively trying to lose weight or exercising until you get the all clear from your OBGYN. I'm guessing since you still have stitches you're less than 8 weeks PP. You need to give your body time to adjust and heal from childbirth (which is a major trauma for the body). Also, if you're breastfeeding, you don't want to cut your calories below 1800 calories or your milk supply will suffer.

My advice is to wait until after your post partum check and then take things VERY slowly.

This... I had 3 c-sections and you have to heal before you try anything.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    If you are still dealing with stitches and postpartum healing, it's too soon to be worrying about losing weight. Has your doctor even released you for exercise yet? Please relax and allow yourself to enjoy your babymoon. Focus on eating well, resting, staying hydrated, and most of all getting to know your new babe!
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    You may not even really need to do anything specific, besides eating relatively healthy. Do the obvious things (eat your vegetables, avoid empty calories) and wait it out for a few months. You may be surprised and find you lose almost all of the weight just by letting nature take its course.

In some cultures, women aren't (or weren't) expected to lift a finger to do anything but take care of their babies for 40 days.
  • Kristi26
    Kristi26 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I've had 4 csections. You shouldn't be exercising at all before 6 weeks PP. It's not safe. You can seriously hurt yourself doing it. Please wait until you are cleared by your Dr. Weight loss will be totally doable after that happens.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Trying to do too much too soon will only prolong your recovery. And that's true regardless of mode of delivery. If you still have stitches and are dealing with postpartum healing, you need to listen to your body.

What you can do, even if you can't exercise yet, is log your food and focus on eating nutrient dense foods (for the most part; working in occasional treats is perfectly fine too). If you are breastfeeding add an extra 500 cal per day to support lactation. However you are feeding your baby, shoot for no more than a one lb per week loss. Mainly to keep your energy up and make sure you're getting adequate nutrition for recovery from pregnancy.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    Please don't try to lose weight until you're fully healed. This is true even for vaginal births. You'll have an appointment with a doctor after and they will give you the go-ahead when it's safe. Exercising before you're healed could even cause hemorrhage which is extremely dangerous.
  • bmayes2014
    bmayes2014 Posts: 232 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I agree with the above postings. I have also had a C-section and you need clearance. Also, you can start with your diet - logging and weighing foods. You don't need to exercise to lose weight. You need to be in a caloric deficit. So, there is nothing stopping you from eating right and consuming calories below maintenance. Also, if you are breastfeeding - that will also burn lots of calories (upwards of 500 calories a day). That's a heck of a workout right there!! If your diet isn't in check - you can work out all you want but you wont lose any weight (without being at a deficit)
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I also want to add that while you are healing from the C section, your body will be retaining a lot of water - especially around your middle. That is normal. That is healthy. That is what your body needs to do to recover from the surgery. You can expect to pee out 5-10 pounds over the course of a couple of days at some point. For me, it was 2-3 weeks post-surgery, but the exact time frame varies from woman to woman.

DO NOT WORRY ABOUT YOUR WEIGHT UNTIL YOU ARE HEALED! Make nutritious choices as much as possible, but please make sure you are eating enough for your body to heal (and to breastfeed your baby, if you're breastfeeding). You WILL lose the weight - but give yourself time to heal first.
  • HG210
    HG210 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I agree with the comment about Breast feeding. Good for you and the baby. Supposedly helps women with weight lose.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I had 2 c-sections (ahem, of course that was 18 years ago) lol I was back in a bikini 4 months after. I started out eating healthy and a lot of walking before I could get into heavier exercise. I took the baby with me because the best advise a nurse gave me is that they are mobile. Luckily my local park was beautiful and had a nice paved walking trail, also luckily my babies were not fussy. ****Be patient and definitely listen to your body and make sure it heals properly. You can do it
  • kerramc
    kerramc Posts: 1 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I'm after my third csection and got the go ahead to begin exercising lightly again. Took a big brisk walk/ run with my little ones and burst my outer stitches and I'm 9 weeks postpartum so it can happen anytime. I'm desperwte to lose weight but know that pushing two hard is 10 steps backward. So annoying. However after all c sections I managed to get my goal weight it just took a bit longer than I wanted but don't worry, you will get there!