Pick an exercise you like!

Options
I often hear people complaining about cardio, or some aspect of their workout routine, but if we are going to stay with a new fitness regime I reckon it's important to find something we like. There are so many activities, there's got to be something out there to get everyone interested. I'm fortunate in that a) I like walking and b) I live on the coast, with the best mountains in the UK 30 mins away... So, don't slog away on a treadmill, if it's not your thing. Pick a sport, get a Wii with interactive games, ride a bike. But crucially, find something you enjoy, and watch those calories melt off. If you are having a good time you'll hardly notice the effort...

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I often hear people complaining about cardio, or some aspect of their workout routine, but if we are going to stay with a new fitness regime I reckon it's important to find something we like. There are so many activities, there's got to be something out there to get everyone interested. I'm fortunate in that a) I like walking and b) I live on the coast, with the best mountains in the UK 30 mins away... So, don't slog away on a treadmill, if it's not your thing. Pick a sport, get a Wii with interactive games, ride a bike. But crucially, find something you enjoy, and watch those calories melt off. If you are having a good time you'll hardly notice the effort...

Yeah, I think people tend to have a pretty myopic perception of what constitutes a workout or exercise. I think people also feel like they need to do whatever new and trendy exercise is being plastered all over their latest issue of whatever health and fitness magazine.

I tried forcing the issue for months with running because I thought that's what you had to do to be fit...thankfully I re-discovered my bicycle.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Absolutely agree with @DavidRocketts.

This is cardio:

28328398175_3c5c2656a5_o_d.jpg

24743120711_b274922959_o_d.jpg

24208739144_90c969f003_o_d.jpg

27467049136_04696054f5_o_d.jpg

28046618180_0c3c21cc6a_o_d.jpg
  • NoNameJustMe
    NoNameJustMe Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    This is my addiction, figuratively, of course.

cg9831g19nqj.jpg
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting, running and JiuJitsu
  • jmf552
    jmf552 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have done some more extreme stuff in the past, like martial arts and Bikram yoga, but now at my age and with the health limitations I have, I am doing two things. I walk my dogs every day, and they are a challenge to walk. They failed obedience training! And I am taking the "Yoga by Adrienne" 31 Day Yoga challenge on YouTube. I figure that stuff I do every single day is better than "high powered" stuff I only do three or four times a week. My hope is to get back into the martial arts sometime soon.
  • slefko
    slefko Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I love lifting heavy weights. I hate when people tell me that for it to be a good workout, you have to sweat profusely. Not with weight lifting you don't!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,899 Member
    Options
    If you're stuck for ideas, have a browse through a list of sports.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sports

Or watch the summer and winter Olympics ... you may never be an Olympic level athlete, but maybe some of the sports they do might appeal to you.
    https://www.olympic.org/sports

And mix it up for some variety.

My thing is cycling and has been since I was about 6 years old, but I also like to walk, hike, run (occasionally), swim (looking like someone drowning, but hey, I'm having fun), row at the gym, canoe on water outside, snowshoe, cross-country ski, and lift weights.