%Calories from Fat/Carbs/Protein

Options
Just wondering if anyone might know how much calories from fat a person on a 1700 calorie diet should be consuming if they do almost an hour of vigorous cardio on a stationary bike daily? Someone suggested 20% but I'm always above. It's always good fat..ie dark chocolate, avocado, but I'm always over 20%. Is this a bad thing? I still seem to be losing weight with the calorie reduction...thoughts?

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    The MFP default is 30% of calories from fat. A large range of macro percentages are OK. Once you get enough protein and fat, you can eat whatever macro you like.

ETA: The US Acceptable Macronutrient Distribution Ranges are:

Protein: 10-35%
    Fat: 20-35%
    Carbohydrate: 45-65%

That gives a lot of wiggle room and many people do just fine outside of those ranges as well.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    The minimum fat you need for optimal hormone synthesis is ~0.35g per pound body weight per day. More is good if you have the calories for it. Not sure what that percentage would be for you.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Extremes withstanding it's personal preference.

A low carber would eat a large percentage, whilst I choose to eat a low percentage.

As long as you meet the minimum recommended amount you're golden.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    The minimum fat you need for optimal hormone synthesis is ~0.35g per pound body weight per day. More is good if you have the calories for it. Not sure what that percentage would be for you.

Im on 1700 calories and get 66 grams of fat (not counting saturated fat (which I need to eat a low amount of due to health issues). if you go over your fat macros but stay within your calories you will still lose weight. I dont think an hr on the stationary bike is really considered vigorous,unless you can keep up a high speed and the same cadence for that whole hr.if you can more power to you
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Regard fat amount as a minimum. MFP's default 30% is a good starting point. Calories is what drives body weight updown.
  • sc1979LC
    sc1979LC Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    So if i go over my carb % on the odd day it doesn't matter if i stay at 1600 Cal's a day or under?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    sc1979LC wrote: »
    So if i go over my carb % on the odd day it doesn't matter if i stay at 1600 Cal's a day or under?

nope,its not going to matter.
  • jdwils14
    jdwils14 Posts: 154 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Use whatever variation is good for you to lose weight if that is your goal. For instance, I do a 55f/25p/20c ratio, and it works with my body the best.

There is no set of macro ratios that are better than one another, so it all depends on what gets you the nutrients you need, keeps you at your calorie goals, lets you eat the foods you want to eat, and most importantly keeps you on track for the long term.
  • TwntyOnePointTwo
    TwntyOnePointTwo Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your insight and thoughts. Really appreciate it!!! Cheers to awesome health & fitness :)
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Find a ratio that works best for you. Some people do better on low carb high fat, some people do better low fat/high carb.. it's all personal preference.. whatever helps you feel satisfied.