Which exercise can you do to lose inches on your calves ?

Options
Been at the fitness thing for 3+ years now, but having trouble losing those inches on my calves. Any suggestions on what I can do?

Replies

• cstraughter
    cstraughter Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thx
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,870 Member
    Options
    There's no such thing as spot reduction, even though I think we all wish there were.

However, if you want to shape your calves and develop the muscle, you might take up stair climbing, hiking, and long walks especially uphill, in sand or in snow.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    which 'fitness thing'? there's so many of them . . .

i've got big calves too, which is partly about how much muscle 'belly' you're born with relative to the amount of tendon. short tendons and a lot of muscle, and you'll have 'big' calves compared with someone whose tendons extend fairly far up the leg.

fwiw, i thought lifting would make it even more-so, but it actually seems like it's balanced things out. it's hard to do things like back squats without gaining some elasticity and length in everything below the knee, and it seems to show, especially through the back of my ankles. i've been a cyclist for > 10 years, and i was a walker before that, so i was sort of surprised that it turned out lifting made more of a difference than either of those things.

all the usual caveats about body fat and so forth do apply. but fat's just a layer that sits on top of what's underneath, so in my case it seems like the underlying shape still shows through regardless.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    which 'fitness thing'? there's so many of them . . .

i've got big calves too, which is partly about how much muscle 'belly' you're born with relative to the amount of tendon. short tendons and a lot of muscle, and you'll have 'big' calves compared with someone whose tendons extend fairly far up the leg.

fwiw, i thought lifting would make it even more-so, but it actually seems like it's balanced things out. it's hard to do things like back squats without gaining some elasticity and length in everything below the knee, and it seems to show, especially through the back of my ankles. i've been a cyclist for > 10 years, and i was a walker before that, so i was sort of surprised that it turned out lifting made more of a difference than either of those things.

all the usual caveats about body fat and so forth do apply. but fat's just a layer that sits on top of what's underneath, so in my case it seems like the underlying shape still shows through regardless.

True. You can most certainly get rid of the fat over a muscle, but you can't lengthen/shorten it. Muscle origins and insertions are fixed points and the only way you alter that is through catastrophic injuries (tendon/ligament tears, etc.), which is kinda not recommended. ;)

Which is why it's BS when people say things like "Pilates gives you long, lean muscles". Your muscles are what they are - you can make them bigger (hypertrophy) or you can make them smaller (atrophy), but you can't make them longer or shorter. They're attached where they're attached and about all you can do about it is thank your parents for your genetics, lol.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,525 Member
    Options
    You can't beat genetics. If your parents have big shapely calves, then you likely inherited it. Another issue is that people who put on a lot of weight over a period of years, can also have "built up" their calves due to progressive overload (gaining weight provides more resistance on them) and surplus. And as mentioned, the only way to have them atrophy is to NOT USE THEM at all for a good period of time. And that's not doable for hardly anyone.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • fattothinmum
    fattothinmum Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I've learned to live with the calves my mother blessed me with. I hated them as a teenager, and with shorts, I still hate them. Now there's no fat and more or less, just muscle there, they have good shape, but I'll always hanker after lean calves. Never gonna happen, sadly. They look fine in jeans though.
  • mcraw75
    mcraw75 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Question to those with large calves. Do you find it hard to do normal squats without lifting your heels? My wife has large calves and has to do sumo squats to keep her heels on the floor.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    mcraw75 wrote: »
    Question to those with large calves. Do you find it hard to do normal squats without lifting your heels? My wife has large calves and has to do sumo squats to keep her heels on the floor.

That's an interesting question. I have decent-sized calves, but I wouldn't say super large. I've always had problems with keeping my heels down, when I was dancing (ballet, etc), and when trying to squat. But I've always felt that I just have short Achilles tendons, so am lacking in flexibility in that area.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options

http://themovementfix.com/the-best-kept-secret-why-people-have-to-squat-differently/
    It might not be her calves that are the limiting factor.

OTOH, I do find it easier to do wider squats, and my calves are pretty solid.
  • Kamnikar64
    Kamnikar64 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone on this thread, I just thought I was fat (well I am.) But my calves have always been large and I never attributed part of that being the fact that I'm short and my legs are short. Thanks, I feel better.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options

It's most likely a mobility issue (tight calves/ankles) - very common. I have pretty big calves for a chick (130lbs w/almost 17" calves) and my heels are planted to the floor when I squat.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options

Nope, I have large calves but am flexible due to yoga.

My mom squats when she gardens, and she gardens a LOT, so has what her trainer calls flat-foot, full-depth squats.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I recommend a wheelchair for extended periods of time.
  • megemrj
    megemrj Posts: 547 Member
    Options

I'm short (5'1) and find it near impossible to do a back squat. Once I began doing sumo, the skies parted and I heard angels sing! My squats are all good now and I don't feel like I'm going to fall on my kitten.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options

no idea. i have mobility stuff that makes it moot in my case.

i lift once a week with a guy whose calves are as big as my thighs though, and he squats beautifully with his heels really close together.
  • natasor1
    natasor1 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Try get rid of water retention. Less salt, more water more potassium and magnesium. Also running is good way to make your calves very trimmed.