Here goes nothing... (everything)

Options
Hi, I'm new as of two days ago. My name is Scott, I'm in the Dallas area. I just noticed this Community option on this app, sounds like a great opportunity to get support and input, so I'm giving this a try while everything else is new to me.

So I'm 42 now and have apparently had my share of being care free about my body, how I eat/drink and my overall health. These days of being care free are over. I'm a man who hasn't gone to see the doc much, mainly because I know I'll have to face the whole "you need to take your health seriously" lecture. I finally go to a new doc, I did this on my own, knowing I need to, had blood work done and got the call from the doc two nights ago.
Long story short..
my blood sugar is high (may be pre or diabetic)
triglycerides count is high
Liver counts are high (already knew about this - fatty liver)
my testosterone counts are off the charts low.
All other counts are within normal. Needless to say, lifestyle change is here. I'm 42, 225 lbs, 5'10" and would like to be down to 170-180.

Since two nights ago, my personal menu is changed to very low to no carbs, drastically smaller proteins. No more sodas, pretty much, only water for drinking.

I know I need to add the physical excercise to the routine of the day, but just haven't done that yet. It's only been two days, and I'm already seeing and feeling a difference for the better. I've done the dieting thing a couple of times (medifast), that worked but didn't last long, as I went back to eating the things that got me in bad shape. My thing is, I've got 3 young boys and a wife to live for. Ultimately I know it's my decision as to whether I make good or bad decisions at meal time.
Anyways, there's a lot more I could say, but that's probably a lot already for a first post.
Thanks

Replies

• Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Welcome, grasshopper. Before you "diet," I'd recommend poking around the Nutrition boards a bit--there's no need to suffer as you lose weight. I eat 300g of carbs a day sometimes and still lose, and my health numbers are good.

Since you're not in the red as far as cholesterol I'd say that hard exercise can probably wait until you've lost some weight. (Contrary to popular opinion, exercise is not necessary for weight loss.) I know this is tough right now--I was at 200 lb myself once--but this isn't coming off overnight and if you rush things, the weight will come back--plus more. Focus on making one positive change at a time.

My mother taught me from a young age that we all become what we pretend to be. When I started my journey, I pretended to be a marathon runner. Never mind that I couldn't run a mile: I took those people as my role models and learned, very slowly, how to do what they did. Who are your role models? What do they do? You mentioned your family, and getting healthier for them is admirable--but this isn't going to work unless you're doing it for yourself as well.

Good luck.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I agree with poking around the forum, I've learned so much here.

As to exercising, I started out walking just 15 min 3 x a week. As my stamina and labored breathing got better I added 15 min, after 1 1/2 months I was walking in my first 5k even though obese.

I can not tell you how good it felt just to see some progress albeit slow. I missed out on so many things because I couldn't walk to my car without breathing so hard. Now I'm going on hikes and enjoying the outdoors more, playing and swimming with my granddaughter.

So you will see progress even just walking, not so much weight loss as thats mostly in the kitchen, but stamina and mental outlook.

• suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! Think of this as your tool to learn a new way of eating...that for the most part needs to be forever. You will be setting a good example for your children too. Read the boards, study the nutrition information...it might get overwhelming and you will see many different opinions. You need to find what works for you both for weight loss and then ultimately to keep it off! For me, eating the vast majority of my very limited calories (I'm a short 52 year old woman so I only get 1200 per day) in lean proteins, vegetables, and fruit, with the occasional healthy fat and/or complex carb thrown in there is a win.

You can totally do this and it is much more sustainable than medifast!
  • BlueHorse8
    BlueHorse8 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Welcome Scott. My recommendation to you is to weigh your portions and log every calorie. I consume 1600-2000 calories a day, 5 -6 small meals. I have been doing this for 23 days now and feel great. When I started I weighed 274 and after 3 weeks I was down 6.2 pounds. I am walking 2 - 2 1/2 miles 4 times a week and doing 3 days of strength training so I do not lose what muscle fibers I have, plus strength training boost your metabolism even while your resting. I stay away from fried foods and mostly any white carbs (processed) with the exception of white rice (can't tolerate brown) lol. Your body needs carbs (good carbs) as you start to exercise regularly for fuel. Good luck with your journey. We are all here to help each other.
  • maggibailey
    maggibailey Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    You can do it! And like everyone above me has said look through the forums and dont get beat up by the occasional person who acts like they know all things. Low carb is not important for weight loss... unless it is important to you. If it's easier that way have at it. I like carbs too much to want to mess around with that. Don't let a bad day define your forward motion and you will be fine!
  • rdl81
    rdl81 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Welcome great you have made first step can I recommend to start with you make it small one. Don't go too extreme to start with on the diet front. You doing the right thing cutting out fizzy drinks and as well as that try and cut out the obvious bad food. Try to eat healthy balanced meals from whole foods meat/fish and veg etc. Once you in these habits go from the there i think this would be more sustainable long term than if you go for an extreme change upfront.
  • robdowns1300
    robdowns1300 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    You're doing the right thing. Use MFP as your primary tool. Don't get drawn off by "diets". Log EVERYTHING you eat as accurately & honestly as possible. Use a food scale as much as possible. Stay under but near your calorie goals. Stick to it, you'll get it.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Hey Scott, I live in Lewisville, work in Dallas. It was 53 weeks ago that my doctor gave me the bad news about my blood work. 53 weeks and 90 pounds ago. I'm now off the blood pressure meds, and everything else is better. Use the food diary to record everything you eat. Make certain to verify the accuracy of the food database items you use, because much of it is not accurate. Learn to use the recipe tool. Learn to use https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list to find food nutrition values.
    Learn to use http://www.convertunits.com/ to do simple measurement conversions.
    Learn to use http://scoobysworkshop.com/ for, hmm, well, maybe you need a homoerotic fix, but it's really for his tdee calculator and macro recommendations.
    Don't get confused with https://www.iifym.com/, it's like the difference between two shades of beige.
  • gdsmit1
    gdsmit1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Scott, you've taken the first step to taking control of your health. 2-3 years ago I was 220, I saw a picture of myself on the beach and hated what I saw. I first did weight watchers with the wife and while I lost a little, it was a pain looking at the calories. I found MFP and it was perfect for me. I could eat anything I wanted, I just had to log it and stay below my daily goal. I got down to 190 and have plateaued for at least a year, mainly I think because I haven't actively taken a role to lose the rest and get down to 175. Now I'm just starting back and plan on losing the rest.

For exercise, what worked for me is deciding what I wanted to do and start slow. I have always wanted to be a runner. I started doing c25k and that really helped to start running. I just started back to running after being off 9 months and I'm just running some and walking some. On non-run days, I do either some P90x3 or Focus T25. Both have a person on screen doing a modification to the exercise in case you need a lighter form or a low impact exercise. I like both, but I prefer Shawn T as a motivator. Tony Horton is a bit goofy for me.

Try to get your wife on board with helping you stick to it. If you both aren't willing to eat right, it makes it really difficult for the one that is trying to eat right.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm an hour and a half due north up the 75 corridor :smile: You've got the right attitude. Those boys are going to need their dad for many years to come and I'm sure your wife won't mind you sticking around either.
  • PowerFwd
    PowerFwd Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hey Scott, Welcome to MFP. I live in Colleyville. I started MFP almost a year ago at 278lbs. I am 5'11 and 58 years old, which put me in the severely obese category. About 4 years ago, I had a massive heart attack, which nearly took my life. I know I needed to get my weight under control and take my health seriously, but I did not know where to start or how to do it. I had tried lots of diets in my life and I was moderately successful at some of them, but I almost always gained the weight back.

In February of last year, I joined MFP and started reading through the boards. Based on my personal experience and reading through other's posts, I began to realize that DIETS DO NOT WORK!! You may lose weight on WW or Paleo or Atkins diets, but most people almost always GAIN THE WEIGHT BACK. It will be temporary without a sustainable change in your eating habits. I also came to understand a few simple concepts:
    1. CICO (calories in, calories out) really is the only way to lose weight and keep it off. If you burn more calories than you eat, you WILL lose weight.
    2. Determine the daily calories you burn per day. There are lost of web sites that will calculate that for you based on your height, age, current weight and activity level. Determine how many calories you can eat to lose weight. Approximately 3,500 calories is a pound of fat. For example, If you want to lose 1 pound a week and you burn 2,500 calories per day, you can eat 2,000 calories per day (a 500 calorie per day deficit) and over the course of a week, you will have a 3,500 calorie deficit, or approximately 1 pound.
    3. Log everything you eat. Once you understand the calorie content of the foods you eat, you can make better decisions on how you "spend" you calories.
    4. Develop an eating plan that you can live with for the rest of your life. Do not deprive yourself of foods you like, but portion control is key to weight loss. If you exceed your calorie count one day, start over the next day. Every day is a new day.
    5. Exercise (any kind of exercise) is great and highly recommended for the heart, mental acuity, strength, etc. It will add some benefits to your weight loss, but calories burned estimates on exercise machines are way overstated. You can and will lose weight without exercise, but there are so many health benefits to exercise, why would you not?
    6. Patience and perseverance is required. You did not become overweight in a few weeks or months. You cannot lose body fat in a few short weeks.
    7. Losing weight is NOT linear. there will be days or weeks when the scale will not budge. double check your calorie counts and trudge through.

I bought a food scale, started logging my food and started eating more fruits and vegetables. I developed an eating plan that I could live with and stuck to it. I still have an occasional chicken fried steak or ice cream, but I log it and try to stay within my calorie goals. If I am over one day, I go back to it the next day.

I also bought a step tracker and started walking. At first, I was walking 1,500 to 3,000 steps a day and then I built up to 11,000 steps a day. I am now have logged 338 consecutive days of walking at least 11,000 steps per day. I walk rain, sleet or snow (inside at supertarget, lowes, home depot or local malls, if I have to). I travel a lot and I walk on hotel treadmills or ask for a walking route. There was nothing magical about 11,000 steps other than it was always at least 5 miles and many days, I did not have the time to walk any more.

In just under a year, I have lost 79 pounds. My scale reading this morning was 199. I still have 20-25 pounds to go, but it has worked for me. I read these boards for the motivation and tips, although not everything is accurate.

Good luck in your weight loss journey
  • crissey74
    crissey74 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your input, your personal experiences and tips. Ever since that phone call, I've been googling all of this nonstop and trying to educate myself. There are a lot of tools to help with this journey. One thing I've never done before that is taking some getting used to is readibg the nutrition facts on everything I eat. Even looking this stuff up before I eat out has been helpful. I've been logging everything I eat in the diary part of this app.
    The part about doing the low carb thing is that my doc wanted me to do this to help in getting the blood sugar down. I understand that carbs turn into sugar, which turns into fat (the unwanted kind of fat?).
    Anyways, even just after a few days of change, I can already feel and see change.
    For my local new friends, I live in Garland off of 190.
  • gdsmit1
    gdsmit1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Don't let yourself get scared by all the information. Just get started and don't worry about all the opposing information you will find.
  • Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    If you are interested there is a Low Carb group on here. Lots of great people struggling with blood sugar issues in there plus a wealth of information to help you out! BTW, welcome!
  • wyhone
    wyhone Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your on the right track. If I would add anything I would just say to find something from a nutritional standpoint that is sustainable for the long term. Make sure it's something you can live with without feeling deprived or miserable. There are lost of great tasting and healthy foods out there, which was a very pleasant surprise for me when I was getting started. You're going to do great!
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Good luck Scott. I waited until I was in my early 50s before I got my **** together, but once I did, the rewards were fantastic. Cholesterol in a great range, blood pressure down to normal, resting pulse rate nearing what I had in my 20s, no more pain meds for my knees, etc., etc.

Take it one step at a time, and work out a sustainable plan.

Best of luck!