Help!!

Options
So I am 28, female 5'4 and 185lbs. Last week I started drinking a gallon a day of water, my diet consists of eggs ,chicken, fish, vegetables in small amounts of nuts roughly 1400 calories a day. I work out with cardio and lifting 6 days a week. I have not lost any weight whatsoever. I have adjusted my intake on everything going to see if that works. Not sure why after a week and a half of eating healthy and working out but I'm not losing any weight. Should I wait for week 3 before I weigh in and get discouraged?

Replies

• capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing all solid food with a food scale?
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Eating healthy doesn't guarantee weight loss. You need to get a digital food scale and weigh and measure everything you eat and drink.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    first off, you may want to consider opening your diary so that people can have a better idea of what you're eating and how you're tracking it to better advise you. "roughly" 1400 calories may or may not be super accurate and that accuracy can really make a difference.

second, if you've recently started exercising you are probably retaining water to help your body recover. this can mask fat loss.

third, one week is not long enough to know if you're really making any progress. it's about 3,500 calories out to lose a pound of fat. that's 1 week at a 500 calorie deficit with all other factors being taken out of the equation.

finally, weight loss isn't linear and your weight can fluctuate even 5 pounds from day to day based on water retention, food you're digesting, time of the month for women, and various other factors.

my advice is to try to log as accurately as possible and not to get discouraged. losing weight will take time. make sure that the changes you're making are sustainable so you won't burn out before you reach your goals.
  • nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    How often do you weigh yourself? If you've only weighed yourself once, I wouldn't get discouraged. Weight fluctuates quite a bit. I weigh myself every day just so I know what the trend is. Doing it once a week, if I catch myself on an off day, it's too demoralizing.
  • chelseak21
    chelseak21 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    capaul42 wrote: »
    Are you weighing all solid food with a food scale?

Yes I am
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Additionally, there's nothing magical about drinking a gallon of water a day. If you need to drink that much because you're thirsty, fine, but 10 or so glasses a day is probably plenty.
  • chelseak21
    Options
    nokanjaijo wrote: »
    How often do you weigh yourself? If you've only weighed yourself once, I wouldn't get discouraged. Weight fluctuates quite a bit. I weigh myself every day just so I know what the trend is. Doing it once a week, if I catch myself on an off day, it's too demoralizing.

Every morning same time..probably should stop though cause it's not moving and it's discouraging
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    You say you are ROUGHLY eating about 1400,which means your intake is not accurate. Get a food scale. I guarantee you are eating more calories than you think (yes even "healthy calories" in excess cause weight gain).
  • chelseak21
    Options
    Ok people when I say roughly I mean I eat 1350 or 1400 calories a day it depends on what day it is. I use a digital scale to know exactly what I'm eating. I also drink only water and yes a gallon can be a bit excessive to some but it is good for you and your skin.
  • snowflake954
    Options
    Then check your calorie burns from working out. If they are correct, then you just need to be patient. If you don't have alot to lose, it goes slower.
  • chelseak21
    Options
    Then check your calorie burns from working out. If they are correct, then you just need to be patient. If you don't have alot to lose, it goes slower.

I have 40 to 50 lbs to loose...
  • KelGen02
    KelGen02 Posts: 668 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    If you are exercising and only eating roughly 1400 calories your net calories are very very low... From what my nutritionist has told me the body will go into starvation mode if you do not net at least 1200, nor is it good for your lean muscle, hair, nails, skin bones etc. It can also stall weight loss. If its only been a week I would be less concerned with the scale and concentrate on your NET calories and macros. Once you have mastered that the scale will eventually catch up to your efforts. Good luck!
  • snowflake954
    Options
    chelseak21 wrote: »

I have 40 to 50 lbs to loose...

Then give it another week. If you're still not losing, open up your diary, and give us your stats. You're giving information sparingly and that makes it hard to help.
  • patslitzker
    patslitzker Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    If you're logging accurately then just give it more time. A week and a half isn't very much time and working out 6 days a week is quite a bit. Not that it's a bad thing but if you have just started doing that your body is probably holding onto water weight because it's trying to recover.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    KelGen02 wrote: »
    If you are exercising and only eating roughly 1400 calories your net calories are very very low... From what my nutritionist has told me the body will go into starvation mode if you do not net at least 1200, nor is it good for your lean muscle, hair, nails, skin bones etc. It can also stall weight loss. If its only been a week I would be less concerned with the scale and concentrate on your NET calories and macros. Once you have mastered that the scale will eventually catch up to your efforts. Good luck!

There's no such thing as starvation mode.

Op- how do you calculate what you burn when you workout?
  • chelseak21
    Options
    KelGen02 wrote: »

There's no such thing as starvation mode.

Op- how do you calculate what you burn when you workout?

My charge 2 fitbit measures it.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    OP, it's too soon to worry, weight loss isn't linear. If after 4 weeks you haven't seen a change, come back and open your diary. But you could be doing everything perfect and not see the scale move for a week and a half.
  • chelseak21
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    OP, it's too soon to worry, weight loss isn't linear. If after 4 weeks you haven't seen a change, come back and open your diary. But you could be doing everything perfect and not see the scale move for a week and a half.

Thank you