Do you ever look back on your old habits . . .

Options
Rilke
Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
. . . and just shake your head?

One summer when I was home from college, my well-meaning mother paid a hundred bucks for a three-month membership at the local gym. I am ashamed to say her money went completely to waste. I never set foot in the place after signing up. Instead, when she thought I was working out twice a week, I was at the Dairy Queen across the street from the gym. I would get the four-piece Chicken Strips basket with fries and toast and a medium blizzard of whatever flavor struck my fancy that day, sit in my car with a book, and pig out.

Out of curiosity, I just went and looked up how much I was eating in those feasts: about 2400 calories, 100+ grams of fat (including two trans), 3500 mg of sodium, and 110+ grams of sugar. No wonder my poor mom wondered exactly how hard I could possibly be exercising.

I am thankful that I finally decided to educate myself and get my life together. I'm feeling proud of everyone who puts positive change into motion in their lives. Yay us!

Replies

• NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have. I actually put the two days worth of foods on my diary before I started. I go back to those days and wonder, "How the hell did I eat SOO much"? I love the food, but should have been satisfied with about 1/4 of what I ate!!! Yikes!! Makes me realize just how bad I had let myself go. Also gives me motivation to get away from that for good!!!!!
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    When I was in college, I used to joke that I was getting my serving of fruits by ordering a Cherry Coke rather than a regular one. I had no idea I'd be overweight right after graduating.

I did realize during my college years that I'm not invincible. I had some serious stomach pains that taught me to pay more attention to my foods real quick.
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I totally agree. I can remember the days I would have maybe a two week gap between gym visits! And when I was there I used to give up after ten minutes on a treadmill.

I also remember all the evenings I was going to "start tomorrow" and so would devour entire king size blocks of chocolate.

And I remember being so unaware of what I put in my body, I put one of my fav old brunch meals in the other day out of curiosity. It was more than my entire daily calorie allowance.

And while I was doing all these things I remember feeling it was hopeless and no matter how much I "tried" I would never loose weight!
  • MaureenCreates
    MaureenCreates Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    In high school from the cafeteria I used to order a large fry smothered with gravy, a brownie, a massive chocolate chip cookie and a bottle of Coke nearly every day for lunch.
    I don't even know.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    Yep! I think about how some meals I would eat equal about what I eat in a day calorie-wise.
    For example I often ate panda express. I would get double orange chicken and rice or noddles or half and half. I never ate the entire meal but pretty darn close. It was like 1100 calories.
  • runner328
    runner328 Posts: 174
    Options
    I used to get ice cream & keep going back until I polished off the whole container.
  • cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    In undergrad, I'd eat a kashi granola bar for breakfast, one for lunch, and one serving of pasta for dinner. Death to metabolism!

It was always easier for me to restrict, and restrict, and restrict, and now I actually enjoy making sure that I'm not over or under eating. :)
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Oh and Veggies - I used to think I ate plenty of veggies hahahahaha
  • Rilke
    Options
    In high school from the cafeteria I used to order a large fry smothered with gravy, a brownie, a massive chocolate chip cookie and a bottle of Coke nearly every day for lunch.
    I don't even know.

Oh gosh. My high school lunch was usually this little greasy cheeseburger, a huge cup of french fries, a 2% Milk Chug and a bag of peanut butter M&Ms.
  • Rilke
    Options
    I used to get ice cream & keep going back until I polished off the whole container.

I remember doing this only twice, but both times with chocolate chip cookie dough. Why? Why? :P
  • MiladyMetal
    MiladyMetal Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    God I would think I was doing great since I only ate one plate at the chinese buffet, but man I would fill the plate wouldn't ya know. Oh and of course since I use to love to bake I loved to you know "try" it first before I gave any to anyone else. Yeah that trying got me trying half of the goodies. yikes!
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    All I have to say is, Chinese buffets. I would frequently get 3-5 plates worth of sodium-laden, fat-filled, saucy goodness.

As a kid I was a notorious snacker. I'd eat pretty much all night long after dinner until bedtime.
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Yea, I had a lot of regrets when I was younger. During middle school I developed a huge appetite for some reason. Dunno why, just got worse from there. From then on I just kept gaining and gaining. Not doin' that crap no more, this time I'm gonna be fit.
  • laurad8911
    laurad8911 Posts: 99
    Options
    recently quit drinking and now often think of all the calories I used to drink and then all the calories I used to eat while drunk (drunk munchies) on a pretty regular basis. I cringe to think about it.
  • Forensic
    Forensic Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I am ashamed to say I used to bring home a large size bag (11 oz) of almond M&Ms put them in a bowl (to 'share') and eat the whole bloody thing myself.

1700 calories and 160 some sugar anyone?
  • runner328
    runner328 Posts: 174
    Options

I remember doing this only twice, but both times with chocolate chip cookie dough. Why? Why? :P

At first a serious lack of willpower and then logically I though it would be best to just eat the rest to get it out of the fridge and out of the house. Like it posed a bigger danger than making my *kitten* two sizes bigger!!!
  • Rilke
    Options

At first a serious lack of willpower and then logically I though it would be best to just eat the rest to get it out of the fridge and out of the house. Like it posed a bigger danger than making my *kitten* two sizes bigger!!!

Mine was more "oh dang this is good, MORE WON'T HURT"
  • LoveMy3Boys
    LoveMy3Boys Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I'm still trying to break my bad habits and I shake my head daily, even while porking out at my terrible habits.
  • Gsc122
    Gsc122 Posts: 36
    Options
    I think I might be in a unique position with my weight gain. I was basically addicted to soda pops. (sunkist was my poison of choice) I would probably go through 48 cans a week.each can being 300 calories.I basically removed most of my pop consumption, and replaced the rest with diet drinks. The rest of my eating habits were fine calorie wise)

Now I actually find it more difficult to eat 3 plus meals a day to keep my metabolism going. (I kind of wish I found this site when I started losing weight a year ago.it would be neat to have the history. )
  • nurse_christieyne
    Options
    I'm still trying to break my bad habits and I shake my head daily, even while porking out at my terrible habits.

I still have days like that also. I keep hearing it gets easier.. I am waiting for that to kick in.