Help - I try harder and gain...???

Options
25 year old female, 5'9"

So, before my pregnancy I was 240, I actually started losing during my pregnancy and on delivery day I weighed 250 - so I gained only 10 pounds.

After I had my baby and nursed for probably 2 1/2 years I weighed 168ish (varied daily). So, I lost a total of 72lbs.

I'm very pleased with my weight loss, but I want to loose around 15 more pounds. I started working out daily on my elliptical, and keeping track of my calories, eating healthier and leaner foods - and I have gained weight! What the heck?

It's incredibly frustrating. I feel like "shoot, maybe I should just go back to not working out or watching my calories, it worked better!"

I eat no more than 1600 calories a day (often a little less). I work out for 25 minutes on my elliptical on level 2 resistance around 65 rpms - daily. I also do various toning exercises (crunches, etc.)

For a while I was at 168ish, now I'm around 177! Why is this happening? :(

Replies

• sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    this may apply to you:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/196502-for-the-people-who-work-out-like-crazy-and-are-not-losing

great advice so I will let it speak for itself.

blessings.
  • magali86
    magali86 Posts: 4
    Options
    First of all you have to keep in mind that before you had more weight to loose, so it was easier for you to get rid of the weight. As you are going down you need to work harder on loosing weight because you less weight to take off. Its a wall that people always hit but also remember that you might be gaining muscle weight and that can also bring your numbers on the scale up. I would say just
    stay focus remember where you started and give yourself credit for where you are now.
  • KWinters1972
    Options
    Have you been tracking your measurements? I was able to lose 20 lbs (from 147 to 127) and then hit a big old wall. I actually hit 125 for a few days and wanted to get down to 120 (I'm 5' 3'') and when I started exercising again I gained a bit back. I'm now a stable 127 but I keep shrinking. I've lost 1/2 and inch of my bust and hips since I started running again, and 1 inch from my waist. Remember that exercise will tone and shape your body, but you may be trading mass for mass. In other words, you're adding muscle which means you will look better. Don't focus on the scales, focus on your measurements and overall health. :-)
  • Zerbertkisses
    Zerbertkisses Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys for the advice and support. I do need to keep better track of my measurements.

It would bother me less if it was only a few pounds, but almost ten?

Plus, I have a little added stress because my husbands employer does an annual health assessment. What you score on your assessment helps determine how much you will pay for health insurance. That assessment is quickly approaching - August 19th I believe.
  • jenn_erickson
    Options
    You should likely have a checkup with your doctor and make sure they check your thyroid levels just to be sure. If everything comes back normal, it could be that your body is very comfortable at your current weight and it may just take patience on your part. A few other things I've seen for ME are. . .

-not eating ENOUGH calories. I actually find that calorie cycling works best for me. At least twice a week, I go slightly OVER my alotted calories, then the day following stick to the plan exactly. The theory (I've read) is that your body is a furnace, and stoking it up with lots of calories one day makes it continue to burn hotter through the next day when you go back to eating normally. I've lost a lot of weight that way.

-it sounds like most of your exercise is cardio. While that's excellent for your heart and overall health, the simple fact is that muscle burns more calories than fat, so adding more strength training will likely do the trick. Again, you may not see results right away b/c you're building heavier muscle, but the goal is to change your metabolism long term, otherwise you get the weight off and then gain it back.

If after a while none of these changes help, I'd go back to measuring calories more carefully. I find that when I've been "watching it" for a while, my portions get more generous. My little digital food scale keeps me honest as do my measuring cups.

Good luck and I hope you see loss soon!
  • tushiness
    tushiness Posts: 29
    Options
    this may apply to you:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/196502-for-the-people-who-work-out-like-crazy-and-are-not-losing

blessings.

sounds so simple! tempted to ditch the scale.
  • propjetprop
    propjetprop Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Open your food diary and let us see your choices in food items for a proper evaluative and advice... So far the advice is everything from thyroid to starvation.....when the culprate might be cheeseburgers and potato chips
  • Zerbertkisses
    Options
    I've had my thyroid tested previously, when I first gained weight (as a younger lady I was always thin and looked (and was) more athletic). It was several years ago, is that something that can change?

My food diary isn't very accurate, I haven't been the best at actually tracking it with MFP. Also, my husband and I cook dinners at home most nights - it's hard to track homemade meals. He's also using MFP and exercise, he's losing weight and looking great - we're eating the same foods (of course he consumes more calories).

For dinners we almost always have chicken in some way shape or form, haha. We usually have green vegetables of some sort with dinner. I personally try to watch my carbs. I don't take any liquid calories (except for my one cup of morning coffee :)). One thing that I know I'm bad about is not having breakfast (other than coffee), but lately I've been trying to force myself to eat breakfast.

In any case, I assure you it is not cheeseburgers and potato chips. :) That's not my weak spot, it's chocolate! We keep a bar of DARK chocolate in the fridge and snap off one square when we have the urge (no more than once per day)
  • Janice4945
    Janice4945 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I know if I ate 1600 calories, I'd never lose. I have problems losing with 1400 calories, but then I'm not as active as you and I am alot older too. You could try dropping you calories down to 1400 calories for a few days and see what happens. I've also been fluctuating my calorie intake so my body doesn't get used to eating the same amount everyday since I've heard that will slow down the metabolism. Up, down, middle,up, down...no 2 days the same. See if that will help and make you exercise different than the same everyday too. Just some thoughts I've read others say. Hope it will help. Good luck.
  • Zerbertkisses
    Options
    Bump :)
  • voluptas63
    voluptas63 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    If you gained most of the weight after you stopped nursing, that may be a factor in the culprit. Milk production/nursing burns calories like all get out:)
  • Zerbertkisses
    Options
    No kidding, the weight was definitely much harder to keep in check very shortly after he was officially weaned. He's been weaned for a few months now and of course it is much more difficult. I told my husband that we need to have another baby and even after I wean I'm just going to keep pumping milk, haha. :blushing:

I notice that it seems my diet tends to be higher protein, lower carb, and right where it should be in fats. Is that good or bad?

Thanks again everybody. :smile:
  • Zerbertkisses
    Options
    tushiness - You look awesome! I WISH my stomach looked like yours. Tell me your goal is just to maintain...?
    this may apply to you:

blessings.

sounds so simple! tempted to ditch the scale.
  • Zerbertkisses
    Options
    I know if I ate 1600 calories, I'd never lose. I have problems losing with 1400 calories, but then I'm not as active as you and I am alot older too. You could try dropping you calories down to 1400 calories for a few days and see what happens. I've also been fluctuating my calorie intake so my body doesn't get used to eating the same amount everyday since I've heard that will slow down the metabolism. Up, down, middle,up, down...no 2 days the same. See if that will help and make you exercise different than the same everyday too. Just some thoughts I've read others say. Hope it will help. Good luck.

I'm not sure how tall you are - but I do believe height and body frame play a lot into how many calories someone should be taking in. I'm 5'9" - even when I am on the lowest end of my weight range I still wear a size 8 in pants size. I was blessed with those child bearing hips :happy:
  • jenn_erickson
    Options
    Yes, your thyroid levels can change, and are especially known to do so after childbirth. Ideally, you should get them checked yearly as a part of your regular checkup.

All that said, I am having a similar problem. My LO is 21 mos and still nursing, but is down to 2-3 times a day. In the last 4-5 mos, I gained 8 pounds without really eating differently and can't seem to get it off. I *think* my problem is that I'm still eating like I was nursing full time and my metabolism changed due to her cutting back on nursing. This week, I stuck to within 100 calories of my "goal" all week and lost 1/2 a pound. For me, I think I just need to work harder on staying within my boundaries and realize that I'm fighting a slower metabolism than before. Before my second baby, I lost weight easily (and also right after she was born when I was nursing exclusively. Not anymore. =(
  • Zerbertkisses
    Options
    One of the many fabulous benefits of nursing! :D When I weaned I was already down to only one nighttime feeding - but as soon as I was completely done I almost immediately gained a few pounds.

Update - a few days of slacking off (mostly due to frustration, lol) and I'm down to my average weight as of late. What's the deal? I don't get it... I'm still staying close to my calorie goal - sometimes under sometimes slightly over.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    slacking off exercise? or slacking off by eating more? either way, your body is showing you that you need to "eat your exercise calories" . You didn't work out, or you ate more food, but either way your net calories were higher -- your body didn't have to burn muscle mass for energy, so BOOM, weight loss.

Watch what happens if you start restricting your net calories too low again. You will gain.

Just embrace it, and eat, girlfriend!

blessings.
  • Zerbertkisses
    Options
    Thank you for this advice :-) I thought I was doing good if I was under my net calories for the day by not eating my exercise calories.

I was slacking off on exercise, haha. Still watching my calories. Back into exercise this week, I will stick to your advice and see what happens.