Meal prep help?

Options
ashmherrin
ashmherrin Posts: 16 Member
I'm new-ish to the diet game, and after a full day of classes and work, the last thing I want to do is cook. Meal prepping seems pretty convenient, so I want to give it a try!

What are some of your favorite make-ahead meals? Breakfast, lunch, and dinner ideas all welcome!!

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Click on the Search button up there and search for

meal prep

Enjoy.
  • rdl81
    rdl81 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    @RobDowney I do the same but basmati rice and half beef half chicken.

For breakfast overnight oats...so easy....or take some eggs and make scrambled eggs in microwave
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I like the Domestic Geek's Baked Oatmeal and Hungry Girl's Egg Mugs for breakfast. I like to have a pot of soup made and bags of salad or mason jar salads for lunch. I did a chopped salad last week with cabbage, lettuce, carrots, purple cabbage, celery, green onions and cilantro. I made the salad two ways during the week 1) w/ Asian dressing and almonds 2) w/ Mexican dressing, pepitas and crushed corn chips. I don't meal prep dinner often. I like sheet pan meals or grilling. I like to watch the Domestic Geek's You Tube channel she has tons of ideas. The Fit Couple Cooks is another great YouTube channel with meal prep.

Here is what I do to make the egg mugs ahead of time. soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2016/08/masonable-mondays-2-scrambles.html

Masonable%2BScrambles4.jpg
  • RobDowney
    RobDowney Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    breakfast is usually 1 cup 0% Greek yogurt, 1tbls jam, 1tbls PB2, 1/3 cup bran buds (high fibre psyllium). pretty easy!
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Check out skinny taste.com lots of recipes. Pre cut veggies. I usually make a large salad on Mondays lasts me a few days. Yummy.
  • emilluca
    emilluca Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Don't make it hard. Most recipes have prep time and cook time. Having the ingredients is the time burner. Develop a pantry that covers your taste. Then use your pantry to make your meals.
  • lenette88
    lenette88 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    062hw97cyh85.jpg
    tg9cieyu7ly6.jpg
    clq6qwxvr4is.jpg
    1vvsqbbgitw7.jpg

I posted something similar elsewhere, but wanted to add pictures. I use the crock pot to cook a few chicken breasts then shred, portion, and season each with something different. One of them is a garbanzo salad which was a different process. The last 2 pics show what my typical lunch for work looks like; the bottom part is my lunch and the top part is my breakfast. I don't always pair it with bread.
  • lenette88
    lenette88 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    lenette88 wrote: »
    062hw97cyh85.jpg
    tg9cieyu7ly6.jpg
    clq6qwxvr4is.jpg
    1vvsqbbgitw7.jpg

I posted something similar elsewhere, but wanted to add pictures. I use the crock pot to cook a few chicken breasts then shred, portion, and season each with something different. One of them is a garbanzo salad which was a different process. The last 2 pics show what my typical lunch for work looks like; the bottom part is my lunch and the top part is my breakfast. I don't always pair it with bread.

ps. forgot to mention, each portion is 2 oz of chicken mixed with about an equal amount of veggies
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Cook, portion, freeze. Make sure to label with date and calorie count and you can grab it when you're in the mood for it.
    I keep a ton of portioned dishes in my freezer.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Any time I make a casserole (chicken enchiladas, veggie lasagna, lentil & mushroom shepherd's pie. . ) or a crock pot (turkey chili, vegetable curry, spicy black beans) I make extra so I can freeze individual portions for later. I use a silicon muffin pan so that the "pucks" pop out easily and I can bag them in the freezer.

At any given time, I've got 3 - 6 different ready-to-go meals in the freezer, already portioned with the recipe entered in MFP so I all I have to do is log it. I pack these for a quick microwave lunch or grab them for dinner when I'm too tied to cook--sometimes adding a salad or a veggie for serving.

54j3rshpf4fe.jpg
  • rdl81
    Options
  • faithbabe21
    faithbabe21 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    cheese and cherry tomato cabobs...easy and yummy
  • Reaverie
    Reaverie Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    You can look up healthy crock pot recipes, measure everything out and count the calories, then divide it into freezer bags saving some for dinner. Or if its just you or one other, set it up the night before to be started (store the insert in the fridge), then start it before you head to work on low. Same goes for breakfast.. have it ready to start or set it on low and make sure the recipe is for an all nighter.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    I usually do a meal planner up the week before, use it to create my shopping list and prep all my lunches for the work week on a Sunday - usually 2 x salad jars, 2 x Tuna & Sweetcorn Protein Pasta and a tin of soup & roll/cheesy beans on a pitta for a Friday.

I love my one pan/crockpot wonders for dinner and usually make one for a Sunday night and make enough for 4 portions, 1 for dinner that night 2 for during the week and 1 to freeze for the following week, my current favourites are Turkey Chilli, Thai Green Chicken Curry and Beef Strogonoff.

I bought a couple of bargain low calorie cookbooks from amazon and downloaded a few free meal prep books on my kindle.

• kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Look up recipes.
  • rdl81
    Options
    ^^^GREAT STUFF^^^
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    There's a subreddit devoted to meal prepping.

There's lots of different types of meal prep being done there depending on how many days in advance you're doing it, your calorie deficit and how many meals per day you're going to pre-prep.