Tips for C25K

Options
2»

Replies

• WonderNoodle
    WonderNoodle Posts: 549
    Options
    "slow and steady wins the race"! it does! slow down. you may be able to speed walk faster, but a slow jog is the way to go in the beginning. here are the mp3 files i used. pretty decent tunes. the trainer pops in and tells you when to walk/run and is encouraging.

http://www.mediafire.com/?539e7bpymd4kt
  • MintyCandy
    MintyCandy Posts: 44
    Options
    I do have an android phone :) Does Pandora have the run/walk noise or something of that sort?
  • FirewifeCarrie
    Options
    I listen to Pandora and C25k comes through for your cues perfectly! :)
  • mowfaux
    mowfaux Posts: 38
    Options
    You can use pandora with the C25K app, you'll hear the notifications.
  • nygiantschick
    nygiantschick Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    1) Do not let your weight keep you from running! I'm a big boy -- 260 lbs, and I finished my first 5K race (39:39) a week ago, and am running my 2nd in a week (aiming for 36 min). C25K has been wonderful. It allows you to ease into running, and you can always do it at your own pace.

2) Schedule a race right now. Find one that's 9 weeks out. Even if you aren't done with the program by then, run/walk it anyway. My first race was so much fun. Running with other people was a great motivator.

3) Do not run on consecutive days. As good as you might feel, as confident as you may become, let your legs rest. Not resting can lead to fatigue, injury and decreased performance. Trust me.

4) Take it at your own pace. Don't worry about speed -- just build up your endurance. Speed will come later. If you aren't ready for the next week's run, repeat the current week. No big deal. At the same time, though...

5) Don't psyche yourself out when the big runs come. You can do it! I stopped looking at the schedule and just downloaded the podcasts. I wouldn't know what was coming each day until I turned it on and the gal told me. Loved it that way.

6) I loved the NHS Choices podcasts (http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/couch-5K-running-plan.aspx) on my mp3 player. The gal has a great British accent -- and that would be sufficient for me to enjoy listening -- but she also provides tips and encouragement, along with the walk/run cues.

7) Run outside. Even in the rain. It's so much better than running on a treadmill. Enjoy the sounds and sights.

I never would have considered myself a runner, but I do now (slow as I may be). It's been fantastic, and a huge confidence boost.

I agree...running outside is a great way to get stronger. You get some hills and curbs to step over and there are all kinds of distractions like beautiful flowers, birds, that stray dog that just helped you skim 30 seconds off your time :laugh: . The time does go faster when running outside and builds up stronger leg muscles- running through that fatigue is great for getting those muscles stronger.

Also, the not running on consecutive days is also good advice-I've noticed when I take time off between runs or do a day of hard running followed by a day of "easy" running, it definitely makes a difference. You're leg muscles have a chance to heal and get stronger. Take your time and you will get there IF you don't quit. If you have to repeat a week then just repeat it. You are your only competition right? I too just ran my first 5k a few weeks ago and am about to run my second on Sat then a 3rd next month. It will happen for you!!!!
  • MintyCandy
    Options
    Congrats on the 5k!

Haha I had to edit because I thought to myself "maybe it wasn't a marathon" Which is what I had originally typed :P
  • brittanyb00
    brittanyb00 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm about to start week 5...and have never been a runner so I'm excited...tired, but excited! :) What really helped me was the podcast (http://www.djsteveboy.com/1day25k.html). I like this one because the songs are mixes that have certain BPMs. So, I just keep pace with the beat when I'm getting tired and zone out.
    I also only do it only on Mon., Wed.,and Fri., so I don't get too tired. Best of luck! You can do it!
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    i think week 3 is the crunch point! was for me anyways! you can do it, push past it and put some good music on! you can do it! if i managed it so can you! I can easily do a 5k now!
  • MintyCandy
    Options
    Awesome :)
    I love mfp support!
  • glittermouse
    glittermouse Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    this thread is great. I did c25k a little bit last year and got the the point where i could jog for 20 minutes, but then my treadmill broke (which was just the first in a series of unfortunate events that lead to me not running/jogging at all.)

i wanted to get back into it, but the idea of keeping track when it was time to walk, when it was time to run, etc was discouraging. I had no idea there were podcasts that would do all of that for you! I'm so pumped.

Some people from work were going to do a 5k in October, and maybe, just maybe I can do it, too??

<3 GMouse
  • midnightsukie
    midnightsukie Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have a really great album i am loving at the moment. I only allow myself to listen to it when i am running, and because i want to listen to it i have to go for a run :)

as a song is about three mins long it worked perfect for week 3.... now i run for two songs and walk for one and i am NOT allowed to stop running until that song has stopped. I think by having that rule when i want to stop i cant as that song is still going.

Its all a mental thing, if your thinking "i may stop running" you will. fact. if you just say you wont stop, mentally your a bit better prepared.

I accidently ran for ten mins straight the other day as i was enjoying the music. I was SO proud after as i struggled for 3 mins a few weeks ago!
  • monicainacoma
    monicainacoma Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I do have an android phone :) Does Pandora have the run/walk noise or something of that sort?

I tried tons of the C25K apps on the android market and ended up buying the legit one.. it was like 2.99 but I like it best, and it integrates your music into it.
  • Bearface115
    Bearface115 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Find a breathing pattern and breathe to the beat! I am on week 3 day 2 and I had the repeat of that same one today on a tredmill bc of the heat wave we are having! But I breathed in 4 times and out 4 tines to a Lamaze type rhythm and I made it through the entire session! When I tried it last time I was so off with my breathing it was all I can think about and it was psyching me out! If you wanna add me as a friend for more rips and motivation, please add me and together we can do this!!!!!!!!
  • vlc1979
    vlc1979 Posts: 227
    Options
    From the sign at my running club

" Run slower then you think you should
    Run shorter then you think you should
    Run more often then you think you should"
  • MintyCandy
    Options
    Thanks so much guys. Today I ran slower and took more steps and made it through the 3 minutes, I probably could have went longer too. My legs don't hurt either.

I REALLY appreciate the advice, it DEFINITELY helped. :)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!!
  • MintyCandy
    Options
    Congrats!!!

Thank you! I feel so excited!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!