Life's good! I guess...

Options
So, I lost some weight in autumn, and I put it back on Christmas. Lately I started my journey again, and after going mostly raw for two weeks, I lost about 9 lbs. I know it may be a lot, but it already feels like I'm doing this for years, and I'm getting sick of these raw fruits. I still have 15-20 more to lose, any tips? Should I try different diets? Which ones? Add me if you want to motivate me.

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Eat food, not too much, mostly plants. But fuel your body with a variety of foods, like nuts and seeds, lean protein, legumes, whole grains, lots of vegetables, *some* fruit, dairy if you like it....

Nourish your body. And eat at a deficit. Assuming you actually need to lose.
  • diaxyz23
    diaxyz23 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have my goal at 1200 now, but it's really hard to eat that in raw fruits, so I snack on seeds and nuts to reach at least 1000 daily.
  • diaxyz23
    Options
    I'm orthodox, and we "fast" On Wednesdays and Fridays. It's like going vegan for two days, no meat or diary or milk. On Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays I'm still carefull, because the weekend days are my "cheat days". So, vegan protein sources? Except soy
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited January 2017
    Options
    diaxyz23 wrote: »
    I'm orthodox, and we "fast" On Wednesdays and Fridays. It's like going vegan for two days, no meat or diary or milk. On Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays I'm still carefull, because the weekend days are my "cheat days". So, vegan protein sources? Except soy

You're "vegan" two days a week. What about the other 5? FUEL YOUR BODY.
    "cheat on the weekends" and "eat only fruit 5 days a week" I worry that this sounds...well... a bit disordered. I hope that's not the case. You're quite young.

Avocados, nuts and seeds, legumes.....

vegan, non protein sources exist, but you're going to have to consciously seek them out.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    What is wrong with soy?

to add to @Sabine_Stroehm, hemp seeds are also a really good vegan protein source. They taste like little nuts. Legumes are going to be your friend, though. Black beans are really good.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

If you're having trouble meeting your calorie or protein/fat goal on a raw diet, then it may not be the best choice for you. Consider adding calorie-dense plant foods like pasta, rice or other cooked grains, oils, breads, beans. The beans are going to be especially important for meeting your needs for protein.

Presumably the people around you in your religious community aren't having just 1,000 calories on your fast days. What are they eating? Try getting ideas from them.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    GauchoMark wrote: »
    What is wrong with soy?

to add to @Sabine_Stroehm, hemp seeds are also a really good vegan protein source. They taste like little nuts. Legumes are going to be your friend, though. Black beans are really good.

Great idea about hemp seeds. I eat them often!
  • diaxyz23
    Options
    I just hate soy. I'm currently eating beans with pork meat, and I still have enough calories left for a grapefruit later. I'm thinking about adding yogurt and milk next week. It's kinda hard for me to get mangoes, avocadoes and other fruits like this.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I just hate soy. I'm currently eating beans with pork meat, and I still have enough calories left for a grapefruit later. I'm thinking about adding yogurt and milk next week. It's kinda hard for me to get mangoes, avocadoes and other fruits like this.

I thought you were vegan??
    I'm out.
    Please talk to an adult.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Eat the foods that you enjoy while keeping at a calorie deficit. No need to restrict certain foods all together.

This sounds good in writing and advising others but I really don't see donuts are given their fair chance in this place. :) Donuts seem very sinful to dieters.

(Raise your hand if you eat a donut a day? 4 a week? :))
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Please talk to a counselor. This does not sound healthy.
  • diaxyz23
    Options

I thought you were vegan??
    I'm out.
    Please talk to an adult.

I'm not vegan, two days a week we 'fast' by not eating meat or diary. So basically I'm 'vegan' just two days a week
  • giovanna8830
    giovanna8830 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Quinoa, broccoli, brussels sprouts, lentils, beans, chickpeas...WHEY protein :)))))
  • leslienicole318
    leslienicole318 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    If you're not vegan, then what are you eating when you've been "mostly raw" for 2 weeks?
  • diaxyz23
    Options
    Check my diary, it's open
  • sbrandt37
    sbrandt37 Posts: 403 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Your raw food diet is difficult to maintain, it is hard to get proper nutrition, and you are already sick of it. The solution is obvious: stop doing that! The key to weight loss is to maintain a calorie deficit. Eating way too little of foods you loathe is one way to achieve that, but it isn't very sustainable.

A more sustainable approach is to eat a balanced diet of measured amounts of foods you like such that you maintain a modest daily calorie deficit. Daily physical activity helps boost your metabolism and burn some extra calorie, which you can eat back or not, and can help you look and feel better. If you make those things a habit, you will lose weight and it will stay off. MFP makes it pretty easy to do, and if your goal is 1-2 pounds per week, you shouldn't even be that hungry.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Your diet seems very extreme. Some days have little to no fat and protein is often very low, as well as calories being very low. What did you eat to gain weight and why can you not just eat that but in lesser quantities?