Anyone else pursuing Weight Loss Surgery?

Options
Anyone else here getting weight loss surgery and want to help support each other? Add me! I'm Hayden and I'm getting gastric sleeve in March :)

Replies

• Brooksdrea
    Brooksdrea Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had the sleeve over 2 years ago. Back to tracking food and being mindful. A year after surgery I noticed how easy it was to eat the same foods. Slowly putting back on weight. But I will never go back. Used this app to get the 30 pounds off to be able to have the sleeve. Best decision I have ever made. I lost about 80 total and put on almost 20 back. Excited for you! I hope you have a support system or group.
    Take Care,
    Andrea
  • donne103
    donne103 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I was just sleeved on 1/17/17, feel free to add me!
  • Krkr751
    Krkr751 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Sleeved 1/12/17
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Gastric bypass several years ago. It was a life transformation and I haven't looked back.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    Like any GB surgery, it will help you to reduce the amount of intake due to how it physically restricts you. But Habitually you have to learn how to change that yourself of weight regain is inevitable. Once people get the sleeve removed, it's not uncommon to gain a good amount of weight back unless they've really learned long term how to understand calories counting.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Um, the sleeve is pretty well irreversible. The gastric band was supposed to be a reversible surgery but it can cause scarring.

Sometimes sleeve patients after some time may go further and have a bypass done.
  • Kschmidt64
    Kschmidt64 Posts: 18 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I am getting the sleeve done on March 7th.
  • Amethystwolf
    Amethystwolf Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Not me, but I have a friend who got weight loss surgery in September. She's lost almost 100lbs and she looks amazing. Good luck on your journey!
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Like any GB surgery, it will help you to reduce the amount of intake due to how it physically restricts you. But Habitually you have to learn how to change that yourself of weight regain is inevitable. Once people get the sleeve removed, it's not uncommon to gain a good amount of weight back unless they've really learned long term how to understand calories counting.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

You absolutely cannot reverse the sleeve, it's a permanent surgical removal of a significant part of your stomach, including the area that produces grellin. It's not a lapband. I had the sleeve 7 years ago. It has its ups and downs but given the same set of circumstances, I'd do it again. It's not a panacea, it's a very effective, life long tool. You have to still eat right and exercise. I've had great success with it but I also made lifestyle changes that consistently promote an active lifestyle. That said, I have recently had to reset my eating habits to deal with some health issues related to overeating (relative to the size of my stomach). It's not an "easy way out"...just a different approach.
  • SpanksNotSpanx
    SpanksNotSpanx Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Working on losing weight prior to and pursuing roux en y bypass. My requirements are nearly done - but I will be waiting and trying to continue weight loss on my own (to make surgery easier) until may, when I am out of school for the semester. My best friend in the entire world just had the sleeve procedure on 2/8/17 so i've lost my last binge buddy! Feel free to add me :) for encouragement
  • susansp1208
    susansp1208 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm still in the decision making stage on considering gastric sleeve surgery. My history is similar to most of everyone else's. Lifetime Yo-Yo dieting with great successes in weight loss only to put it back on gradually. I'm at my wits end dealing with Parkinson's disease, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, pain in walking due to PD and osteoarthritis, one total knee replacement and a fall back in September that injured my other knee-- with the likelihood of TKR unless I get this weight off. I'm 58 - HW of 310, now 290, BMI 50. Like others I have fear and concerns but I feel this is the right decision. My dh isn't on board yet and frankly, due to his feelings, I have been back pedaling. Anyone else have similar issues that could share opinions? I'd like to know what you're thinking.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Well, I was in my fifties before I considered surgery and like you my weight was literally killing my quality of life. My hubby unlike your DH, was at least neutral. I've come to be grateful for that freedom.

My life is literally transformed.
  • joseccastaneda
    joseccastaneda Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I had considered it and at one point i was on the waiting list to have it and my insurance ran out. I'm glad though because i'm having really good results using MFP. Had three family members with different procedures (band and bypass) and while they initially lost some weight, they have been stalled and gained some back for the last few years.
  • Shull_rachael
    Shull_rachael Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I'm getting the sleeve the end of May. I'm so excited. I've made so many supportive friends through my fitness pal and it's made the journey a lot easier. It's helped me stay on track and kick start my weight loss. I think it's a personal decision only you can answer (with a doctor of course) I went to a free seminar and that really helped me make the decision that this was the best choice to fit my life.
  • Shull_rachael
    Shull_rachael Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I'm getting the sleeve the end of May. I'm so excited. I've made so many supportive friends through my fitness pal and it's made the journey a lot easier. It's helped me stay on track and kick start my weight loss. I think this is one of the best choice to for my health. Feel free to add me