Lifting and plyometrics

Options
I am currently starting a upper lower workout split which seems to be going well, but is it possible to imcorparate plyometrics into the split? Can I lift for upper body days and do more plyometrics based workouts for lower body days? Thankssss

Replies

• mir1104
    mir1104 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I am currently starting a upper lower workout split which seems to be going well, but is it possible to imcorparate plyometrics into the split?

The point of an upper/lower program is to let half the body rest and recover while the other half works out so personally I wouldn't do that. It'd mean you're actually working total body on both days, which defeats the purpose of having an upper/lower program.
    But this is not the end, you could incorporate upper body plyos on upper body days (and the other way around) as a workout finisher. Consider the workload of course, you can either add them if the work is not much or reduce the lifting a little to add the plyos, trust your feelings. You won't be able to add a lot of plyos, think one or two moves max, but if you like them, why not.
    Can I lift for upper body days and do more plyometrics based workouts for lower body days? Thankssss

It could make sense if you are lifting for a specific sport but if it's general fitness or to say if you're just aiming to get into shape I would use the same training technique on the whole body so if it's plyos or a mix of lifting+plyos it should be for the whole body.
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Just add some HIIT in the form of plyometrics after your leg day lifting. I do this as well. Anything explosive (jumping, sprinting, burpies, box jumps, etc.) will do just fine. You can make it 10-15 minutes and go very intensely. Great way to finish up a workout and get cardio in.
  • ISO905
    ISO905 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Sure you can...do some lower body plyo on your lower body day is a great way to add variety and fun to your workouts. Plus, if you play any type of sport such as tennis or baseball, plyo will be a great addition. I would suggest starting slowly if plyo is new to you such as squat jumps with a 3-5 second hold at the landing (the hold at the bottom is the key to starting out slowly) Advance to more complex moves when your body is ready.

To add some power training elements to it you can combine a strength exercise followed by a plyo exercise. For instance 8-10 reps of squats followed immediately by 5-7 explosive squat jumps.

Even if you don't play a sport, adding plyo translates into everyday life and is a great addition to any workout program.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    I agree that upper body plyo on upper body days and lower body plyo on lower body days would be the best way to incorporate it. I believe the general consensus is to perform explosive work first in a workout (after appropriate warmup) so if you're doing true plyo I would do that first then start your weight training.
  • berrios96sean
    berrios96sean Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I really like the idea behind what you are doing. I think it's a great idea to incorporate but one thing I want you to consider is your rest periods. If you are doing upper/ lower body please try to incorporate days with less activity between. For example on the third day do a full out abs/ cardio workout to take a break and then do upper and lower the following days with a rest period on the weekend's. If you are a beginning lifter I think this is a great idea to start out with and once you become more experienced you can start picking areas your like to being out more. Keep doing awesome things.
  • rt1968
    rt1968 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    As a suggestion- on your upper day lift weights as normal.

On your lower day pick 4 exercises with the last being a lower Plyo (jumping / HITT) pick. Do as many rounds inside of 8 mins - 12 reps max (pick weights wisely to finish with the same weight for the full 8 mins) and burn out with the cardio of the Plyo burn and repeat. You keep repeating the 4 exercises for the full 8 mins.

Do this for four sets with four different exercises. Take no more than 1-2 mins in between each 8 min set. I.e. Recovery.

Make sure to warm up well I.e. 3-5 mins. And cool down with plenty of stretching - 5 mins.

If you wear a heart rate monitor you will like what you see and results. Big muscle groups and high intensity. Burns huge calories!

Have fun. Keeps it different.

• natasor1
    natasor1 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Inserting the plyo in between your upper/lower moves will increase your fat burn a lot. When u have rest between your sets, consider do some plyo. It is very hard, but the fat burn is big.