Apologies, this will be a bit gross.

Options
Trying to figure out exactly what I've lost this week, since last week I weighed myself BEFORE I went for a poop. This week I waited until AFTER I'd pooped, and the weight loss was 6lbs, which just isn't possible after my eating this week.

How much difference can a poop make to the scales?

Again, apologies for the ick.

Replies

• Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    It could have been water weight.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I've never weighed it myself, but undigested food accounts for between 10 and 30 pounds of our weight. So, yes, there are times when a bowel movement can result in large weight losses. This is why it is important to weigh at the same time and under similar conditions each time you weigh. Usually it is best to weigh in the morning after you have excreted anything that has accumulated during the night, but before you eat. This will give you the most consistent weight.
  • Mary_Anastasia
    Mary_Anastasia Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    MY BMs don't make a difference! Neither does weighing before or after taking a shower. But I do tend to wear about 2lbs of clothes I've found :P

It's water weight! This week I lost 4lbs in water weight. I lost 3lbs of water weight last week. This is awesome because I HAD gained 7lbs of water weight the week before that. So now I'm back to normal. Us ladies can have huge fluctuations, especially with hormonal changes.
  • Sukisumi
    Sukisumi Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    This may sound gross too but I've weighed myself first thing in the morning before my 'duties' and again straight after (I'm curious haha) and it can be up to -3lbs after going!

6lbs is a lot so as people have said some of that may be water weight but some may be poop as well. Just make sure from now on you always weigh after going! :smile:
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    My bm doesn't affect the scale much at all, but when i pee, that's another story, hehe. It might be different for everyone, depending on your diet and how your body works, but i would guess it's mostly water weight.