Hard to eat healthy when you don't have $$$$$

Options
And when you don't have money, you hardly ever have time.

What do you guys do?

Replies

• nicruns
    nicruns Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I google for strategies-- read stuff like this: http://greatist.com/health/44-healthy-foods-under-1
    Shop sales & price match. & focus on what I need and enjoy (I eat a lot of canned beans prepped in different cheap ways-- salads, chili, etc.)
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I shop at stores like Aldi's, Costco and BJ's. I use websites like budgetbytes.com
    I live in NYC and thankfully we have a lot of ethnic supermarkets with awesome affordable produce and meats.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Some inexpensive items -
    frozen veggies
    cans of tuna
    buy the chicken with the bone in and skin - it's cheaper but then you will have to trim the fat and remove the skin yourself
    large bag of brown rice or quinoa
    bag of apples

Fortunately I have plenty of time to meal prep and work out. I have no excuses. My kids are older, my job is Mon-Fri and I normally get off by 4:30pm. I make dinner most every night. I have time to snack at my desk. My suggestion would be when you do have some time meal prep as much as you can and freeze some of it or put it in the fridge so you can just warm it up. *You can do it!
  • xandrapn6
    xandrapn6 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I like to buy as much frozen vegetables and things from my local bent and dent store. If you can find one of those it can help save money. And anyone that says fast food isn't cheaper than healthy grocery store foods has clearly never seen the $1 menu lol. It's all about finding the right places to buy from at the right time, and trying to coupon efficiently.
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    It is actually cheaper for me.
    Buy in bulk, buy sale items, cook large quantities and divide into individual containers and freeze for later meals, no eating out at restaurants or fast food.
    Many of us have extremely busy lives, with a lot of demands on our time.
    If you want it bad enough, you can do this, and it will benefit our families as well as ourselves.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    I lived on apples, rice, canned tuna and frozen veggies when I was a student.

Buy bulk when it's on sale.
    Batch cook, portion and freeze.

I actually ate a lot better when I had no money than now that I do have money. Junk food can be really expensive and doesn't really have that much staying power.

I had little time as a full time student working part time to make ends meet and I have no excuse on time now that I'm a full time employee on a 9-5 job.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    It's hard when you don't have the money or the time to research healthy inexpensive options. Do you have a dollar tree near you? Our has a nice frozen section with frozen veggie steamers. Fresh is more expensive, not only in price but because you have to use gas to drive to the store once a week- canned beans last all month, fresh beans do not.
    So, I guess my advice is if you can't do fresh, canned or frozen veggies and fruit is still better then chips.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    YOu were eating before, when you were not trying to lose weight - yes? If so, since you need to eat less now, it should not really be a problem.

This. You should actually be saving money because you're eating less now.

exactly. if the only thing you do is eat less than exactly what you were eating before - you will lose weight AND save money. period.
  • aubreyjordan
    aubreyjordan Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Aldi. I also check out sales ads for Publix and shop BOGO (but there are times it is STILL cheaper at Aldi to two than it is to get a BOGO). I stock up when there is a good sale on things that can be frozen or have a long shelf life.
  • cashidy
    cashidy Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    YOu were eating before, when you were not trying to lose weight - yes? If so, since you need to eat less now, it should not really be a problem.

This. You should actually be saving money because you're eating less now.

Well, I was eating more because I eat at work, any events we have to save money, then I eat ramen and cheap unhealthy terrible food. So I was eating more calories but crappier food.
  • UK92
    UK92 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Here's what I do to cut the cost of food shopping
    • Buy supermarket own brand products (this is how I cut down most of my expenses).
    • Frozen instead of fresh, this also reduces the amount of waste. I buy most of my meats, fruits and vegetables frozen.
    • Don't buy anything labelled organic, unless there's an offer and buying it would save money.
    • Look for reduced items that can be frozen.

Invest in a slow cooker if you want to save time, they're fairly inexpensive and so convenient. Most meals take a few minutes to prep, throw everything in and it'll be ready in a few hours with almost no effort. Freeze any leftovers.

I love freezing stuff.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I lost a ton of weight eating ramen, when I had no money that's what I ate. Thank goodness I still love ramen.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    i'll base my weeks dinner around a single type of protein (i.e. chicken) - because its easier/cheaper to buy that than to buy multiple types of meat for different meals

the veggie steamers are great - my store often has then available as 3/$5 or similar

rice can be bought in bulk; beans in bulk - soak them for filling meals

crockpot/instapot for making in bulk and freezing (i.e. I'm doing turkey chili and rice for lunch next week that i'll make over the weekend)
This discussion has been closed.