How important is getting to 20 and above for fiber?

Options
2»

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Really? You can have some of mine. Easy for me to hit 50-60. Eat vegetables and a Quest bar.
  • JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I'm often into the 50's eating natural foods. Whole grain cereals topped with fruits or berries nets me around 15 at breakfast alone. Heaping helpings of vegetables and homemade soups and stews for dinner and lunch often net at least another 30. Fruits, berries and vegetables all have very high fibre/calorie ratios, some as high as 10g/100 calories like raspberries and blackberries.
  • VKetoV
    VKetoV Posts: 111 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Psyllium husk daily will help normalize GI Transit time; although it can interfere with absorption of other drugs/supplement/etc. The plain/non-flavored/non-sweetened version is literally zero net carbs, forms a nice mucocilliary paste that drags water with it down into your lower intestines for a nice regular BM daily...takes 3-7 days for onset of "regularity" (defined as 3 BMs/week to 3BMs/day). Added bonus of changing fecal composition to a more bulky appearance (vs. watery/congealed).

I believe there are newer formulations using soluble corn fiber (similar to what is used in Quest bars now) & hemp fiber but only marketed as supplements.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    filbo132 wrote: »
    Quest bars lol I eat like 4-5 quest or protein bars a day plus pumpkin and veg so my fiber is always >130.

You must go to the bathroom often lol

I just go 2x a day very regularly its awesome (lol tmi)
  • JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Why not just buy Psyllium Husk in bulk? It costs peanuts. Mix it in some water and drink. 1 or 2 cents a glass.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    If I am short on Fiber for the day, I get me some FiberOne cereal. Low in calories for the amount of fiber. Beans are always good.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Lots of veggies are high in fiber, especially okra.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    filbo132 wrote: »
    Quest bars lol I eat like 4-5 quest or protein bars a day plus pumpkin and veg so my fiber is always >130.

You must go to the bathroom often lol

Quest bars don't cause that for me, even when I basically lived on them about a year and a half ago. The fiber is soluble, so basically I just end up carpetbombing people a lot. Smells awful, feels fantastic.
  • Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Fruits, vegetables, whole grains, nuts.... basically anything whole food and plant based is good.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Quest bars really do a "number" on me (yes, pun intended). If my fiber intake is more than 25 for several days in a row, I get very bloated and ... :( . Quests bars are not an appropriate food for me due the high fiber content and because I don't like the taste either.

Brand flakes on top of blueberries with cottage cheese or Fage, or sprinkled on top of the salads and one or two prunes at night do the trick. Vegetables and beans are good too. Some people need a high fiber daily intake to be regular, others don't.

OP if things are moving and you feel full, you are OK; if not, increase your fiber.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Lentils, oatmeal and lots of fruit and vegetables. I usually made a lentil meal and also make a lot if soup with beans. Black bean soup, navy bean soup.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Only been below 20 once since I started tracking, and never above 50.

What stores sell quest bars? I normally shop at Costco but haven't seen them.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Theo166 wrote: »
    Only been below 20 once since I started tracking, and never above 50.

What stores sell quest bars? I normally shop at Costco but haven't seen them.

walmart here started carrying them,GNC does and Im sure there are other places, you can always order online too
  • TMW2119
    TMW2119 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    My highest fiber foods for the last few days: chia seeds, Ezekiel sprouted bread, oatmeal, black bean soup, Kind honey oat breakfast bars. I get over 25 g of fiber a day with chia seeds being at the top of my fiber list almost every time.
  • Kimblesnbits13
    Kimblesnbits13 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I cheat and get my fiber from Halo top, quest bars, flat out wraps and fruits. I don't like veggies lol
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I don't use any supplements, bars, or specialized ingredients, but my fiber intake hovers around 40-70 grams on regular dieting and maintenance days. It's possible to get enough fiber from food if your food preferences include lots of plants. Some vegetables are so high in fiber, you can basically get all of your fiber in one meal.

Some high fiber vegetables:
    Endive: has about 18 grams of fiber per head
    Artichokes: about 12 grams per medium
    Eggplants and cauliflower: about 15 g of fiber per pound
    There is also green beans, broccoli, cabbage, all leafy greens...and so on

Almost all legumes are high in fiber, but black and kidney beans are nice for that with about 8 grams of fiber per 100 calories, followed closely by lentils.

I remember they were out of oats once so I bought oat bran and my fiber intake went up quite a bit. A bowl had 15 grams of fiber (if I recall correctly).

I also eat lots of whole grains. Bulgur and barley, for example, have about 8 grams of fiber per cup (chicken and barley stew is the definition of comfort food for me).

If you don't like many plant based foods, nothing wrong with supplementing. You'd be surprised how easy it is to hit 20 grams with or without supplements without going way out of your comfort zone with calories. A couple hundred calories of the right foods and you're set for fiber.