500+ calories left for the day...is this bad??

Options
I am alotted 1220 cals per day. I did a 40-min power walk on my lunch and gained 288. After putting in all of my calories for the day I still have 526 left over. I wanted to do an exercise video, but obviously that will burn more calories. Is it okay for me to have so many left for the day?? Should I eat more tonight??

I'm having a hard time understanding if I should eat my exercise calories or not. Some people say yes, some say no. Which is it??

Replies

• xtina11179
    Options
    I am alotted 1220 cals per day. I did a 40-min power walk on my lunch and gained 288. After putting in all of my calories for the day I still have 526 left over. I wanted to do an exercise video, but obviously that will burn more calories. Is it okay for me to have so many left for the day?? Should I eat more tonight??

I'm having a hard time understanding if I should eat my exercise calories or not. Some people say yes, some say no. Which is it??
  • MattySparky
    Options
    You are supposed to eat them, but I doubt everyone really does. The reason is because even without the excercise you are at a caloric defecit if you are following MFP's guidelines designed for you. Technically you dont even need to excercise to lose weight on this program but it's healthy and you will probably tone up and lose weight faster if you do excercise.
  • dewassel
    Options
    I rarely get my exercise calories but I do try. Don't go below your 1220! I could not lose weight until I ate the minimum.
  • astarte09
    astarte09 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    You are supposed to..I am always scared to. I would say eat something else..I usually have about that many left over. I went a whole week without eating even my 1200, and the scale didnt move..the week that I ate something else to come close to 1200 I lost 2lbs..It coulve just been my body tho..
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    make sure you at least eat that 1200+ allotted calories. i would try to eat some of the exercise calories back, but you don't necessarily have to eat them all back
  • xtina11179
    Options
    So I should probably eat again tonight then? Geez, if I do exercise, I'll practically be able to eat a Big Mac!! LOL I'm just not sure what to eat. Even if I made myself a HUGE salad I'd still only get a couple hundred more calories. I don't want to go eat just any old crap.
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    So I should probably eat again tonight then? Geez, if I do exercise, I'll practically be able to eat a Big Mac!! LOL I'm just not sure what to eat. Even if I made myself a HUGE salad I'd still only get a couple hundred more calories. I don't want to go eat just any old crap.

yeah i would do that. eat a big salad or some fruit.
  • astarte09
    astarte09 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Thats always my problem..good food doesnt have that many cals.. maybe have a meat with it for dinner?
  • cheri822
    cheri822 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Everyone on here says to eat them. My mom says to not eat them, she's lost over 60lbs and is still going. My grandma and grandpa also say to NOT eat them, and they've lost over 100lbs together. So I don't know. I havent the last week but if i'm ever really hungry and want to eat something I'll eat my exercise calories.
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options

So... don't eat a salad. Or eat a salad and something else. Make chicken breasts/thighs or a main course. Have a potato or make a pasta salad. If you are a vegitarian, eat beans or put nuts in your salad. Getting your daily calories in shouldn't be a struggle. :wink:
  • MattySparky
    Options
    dont be afraid of calories, I found that when I started I was trying to eat everything low cal and whatnot etc etc... and Im still very concious of my eating but dont be afraid to eat a normal meal once in a while especially if you're having trouble taking in cals. Try a turkey sandwich on whole wheat with a slice of light swiss and lettuce... that alone is very healthy but will give you over 250 calories. I think we get in this habit of thinking that anything in the 100's is bad, but it's not.... watch the fats and carbs but dont worry so much about the cals if you're having so much trouble (keep within your limit though lol).
  • xtina11179
    Options
    I've already had dinner! LOL! I had a Gorton's Garlic and Butter Tilapia Filet (80 cals), a twice baked potato (200 cals) and Green Giant Just For One Broccoli and Carrots with Italian Seasoning (60 cals). I have pretty much stayed under my calories for the last 3 weeks and I have lost 10 lbs. Maybe I will do a salad with a couple slices of smoked ham.

I'm usually not THIS MUCH below my calories though.
  • MattySparky
    Options
    are you sure only 200 cals for a twice baked??? that seems really low.
  • xtina11179
    Options
    It's only a little guy. That's what the package says. It is by Lamb Weston. And I don't even eat the shell.
  • duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I don't always eat my exercise calories but if I had over 300 left I would treat myself to a glass of Red Wine:love: or a square of dark chocolate the ghiradella ones are only 54 calories. Heart Disease is a big problem in my family so these are two of my treats.
  • xtina11179
    Options
    I don't always eat my exercise calories but if I had over 300 left I would treat myself to a glass of Red Wine:love: or a square of dark chocolate the ghiradella ones are only 54 calories. Heart Disease is a big problem in my family so these are two of my treats.

If only I had some wine...that sounds great!! LOL! I am not a chocolate person (I know, being a woman that sounds crazy!) but I do like peanut butter and I do have some Reese's 100-Calorie packs that are sounding pretty good!!
  • allaboutme
    allaboutme Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    you should eat your exercise calories, that subject has had many many many posts about why you should and what will happen if you continue to go below your recommended daily calories and don't eat back your exercise calories. i will post the link for you. :happy: You lose initially, but you metabolism will slow so that it will only burn what you are giving it and nothing else, so your weight loss will come to a halt. In any event, to get at least your minimum calories so your body can function properly daily, add some more healthy snacks throughout the day. A quarter cup of almonds is about 200 calories, a slice of whole wheat bread and peanut butter 160 calories add half a banana to that for another 40 or so calories. Add a baked potatoe to your sandwhich you are having for lunch, there are lots and lots of ways, it doesn't have to be salads all day and every day. You want a good balance, protien carbs and fat. A little of everything. Nothing is taboo, just learn what the calorie content is.

Read some of these :wink:
  • xtina11179
    Options
    All this talk is making me hungry!!! Ha ha ha!!!
  • lynniejones
    lynniejones Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Eat nuts, peanut butter, avacado, anything still good for you but high in calories. I'm super excited to have some food left over. I am going to mix a bananna, half an avacado, chopped walnuts and honey. It is my favorite "oh my gosh I didn't eat enough today" treat. I'm a weirdo though
  • fiddlechic
    Options
    since no one can agree I say don't eat them one week and see what happens, then eat them and see what happens. everyone is different:) personally I eat them, I'm starving if I don't and I feel long term success depends on me not feeling starved everyday.