Having a hard time incorporating Protein

Options
I'm having a hard time with incorporating protein. I'm highly allergic to any type of fish and shellfish. I do not eat red meat at all. I rarely eat chicken. What are other sources I can get protein from?

Replies

• leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Soy, Almond, hemp milk
    cottage cheese
    cheese
    greek yogurt
    tofu
    tempeh
    seitan
    beans
    protein powder (but get most from your foods)
  • MissArtQueen
    MissArtQueen Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much. I'm worried to add beans since they count as a carb as well.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Thank you so much. I'm worried to add beans since they count as a carb as well.

I don't care about carbs (down 40lbs so far) so yeah that makes a difference if you're counting carbs.
  • MissArtQueen
    Options
    Okay well I'll just have to see what works. Thank you for your help! Have a nice evening.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Animal milk also is a good source of protein.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    My husband doesn't eat red meat so I use Quorn which is made from mushrooms and is a good source of protein.

Minced beef style for example has 14.5 grams of protein per 100 grams.

It comes in many forms, Minced like beef or pieces like chicken, it absorbs the flavours so makes great meals like Lasagne, Chilli or Chicken style stir fry to name but a few.
  • patslitzker
    patslitzker Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Protein powder is good as a backup in case you weren't able to meet your goals with food.
  • ninthnarnian
    ninthnarnian Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I enjoy mozzarella string cheese- the light one I get is 7-8 grams of protein each stick. It helps when I am low on protein for a day.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,145 Member
    Options
    Eggs and egg whites, lentils, quinoa garbanzo beans. Google high protein food to get a better idea and check food labels. Can you make your own soups and add diced chicken?
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Egg whites are a great source of protein. Greek yogurt is very high in protein. Some vegetables are relatively high in protein. Cauliflower is 1/3 protein and very high in fiber.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I struggle to get a decent amount of protein without protein powder.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Why not protein drinks?
  • patslitzker
    patslitzker Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Muscle milk is good also, most people prefer the taste but it has sightly less protein.
  • jagodfrey08
    jagodfrey08 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Sweet Earth makes vegetarian "meats." They have crumbles that are like sausage and "benevolent bacon." They also have delicious vegetarian meals with high protein. I love their breakfast burritos. Maybe these could be an option? They are usually in the freezer section.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about the beans so much because they're a huge source of fiber and will help keep you fuller longer.

Here's things I use to help my protein intake:
    Eggs
    String cheese
    Greek yogurt
    Peanut butter

Two things that are a little unusual:
    * I have protein powder and fiber that I'll make a "protein/fiber water" with - 16.9 oz bottle of water with some crystal light pink lemonade.
    * CHocolite protein bars from www.healthsmartfoods.com

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    What are your macros? It matters because some good sources are higher in carbs (like beans) or fat (like eggs).

Other options are dairy (esp. low fat cottage cheese or greek yogurt), poultry other than chicken (depends on why you don't eat chicken), tofu, tempeh, and seitan (vegetarian sources of protein that are not particularly high carb). Also vegetables will add some -- not a lot individuals, but it adds up. I had a breakfast with eggs, bacon, and brussels sprouts the other day, and per calorie the brussels contributed as much as the other two (I ended up getting about 25 total for that meal, with 13 g from the eggs and 6 each from the other two).
  • vwbug86
    vwbug86 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Turkey is great. I like ground and Turkey breast. I will cook the whole thing and my husband and I will eat it for a week.
  • MissArtQueen
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your input! I eat a reasonable amount of dairy. Most of the time I have to prepare small meals at night because my little one is 17 months old and very active so I don't have much time to prepare something from scratch! I am trying to lose this baby weight.
  • MissArtQueen
    Options
    Why not protein drinks?

I will try protein drinks! I forgot about that.