What are your eczema triggers?

Options

Replies

• crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    wool and lanolin. A large number of moisturisers, including pretty much ALL of the ones recommended for those with eczema, contain lanolin.

I use Diprobase cream from the chemist which is paraffin based but lanolin-free, and ensure I am fully hydrated as dehydration tends to make my skin itch more. As does stress.

Took me years to work out what my triggers were, until I noticed a distinctive pattern along my arm from the seam of a wool cardigan. That and the fact that I seem to be allergic to my parents house with wool carpets throughout.

Oh yeah lanolin for me too.

• trinityann8423
    trinityann8423 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I had eczema and rashes and found out I was gluten sensitive and allergic to potatoes. It doesn't show up immediately though, it is usually 1-2 days after having one or the other. When I do not have those things in my diet (sometimes they find their way into my diet without me realizing it is in one of my foods) my hands are clear and no eczema or rashes on them.
  • LuckyAndi
    LuckyAndi Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    The biggest trigger for me is stress, anxiety, or nervousness. After that would be heat, cold weather, constant hand washing, and too much exposure to dust, dirt, or powdered sugar (when working with fondant). I haven't noticed any foods bringing on an outbreak, and the severity and length of my outbreaks now are nothing compared to what they were when I was a child.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Wheat triggers mine. It also gives me an upset stomach.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Dairy and gluten are biggies. Nightshades can also be a trigger (potatoes, tomatoes, egg plant, peppers, etc). Often eczema is exacerbated by cold/heat depending on the person. Chemicals in soaps, shampoos can be culprits as can essential oils (my DD can't do lavendar oil). Generally speaking, it is recommended to look at diet first, skin/hair products second, cleaning products next, etc. etc. Make sure you don't have a latex allergy if you use or are around latex at work (I do and the reactions can vary from mild to severe on any given day). Other then food and chemicals, the other thing to look at is an overall histamine intolerance which is different from an allergy. A histamine intolerance can cause reactions to foods that you are not technically allergic to but they produce high amounts of histamine in the body and then your body reacts to the histamine by getting eczema.

Once you figure out the trigger(s), Burts Bees Banana Hand Cream was the ONLY thing that took my son's away after we removed food allergens. Burts Bees Coconut Foot Cream worked for awhile but the coconut tended to burn at a times. The banana hand cream never did.

No matter what the cause, to get rid of the allergy causing the eczema go after healing your gut. 70-80% of the immune system is in the gut. When you've got immune issues going on, heal the gut and you fix the immune system reactions. It is a slow process, but with diligence works.

• Reaverie
    Reaverie Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    My son had his first flare up at 9. Doctor said it was caused by stress from school or home but my son said he didn't feel stressed at all. It WAS before a big test which he aced. The doctor proscribed a steroid cream which I refused to fill and instead gave him my dove lotion. In a day the excema was gone. He didn't have another flare up for a few years. This too was proceeded before a big test. Once again he used dove lotion and it disappeared over night. So far every flare up has been test related even though he swears he feels nothing. His most recent flare up was a month ago right before ACT's .. He scored high marks so not sure why he was so freaked but he showed no outward emotions to indicate distress..
  • sarah12277
    sarah12277 Posts: 211 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Did have an intolerance test done that confirmed some I knew. Others just figured out on my own

Clove, tomatoes, casein, sesame are my biggies the rest on my test list I still stay away from as best as possible

Almost forgot - caramel color and Red 40
  • ShinySkyShaymin1994
    ShinySkyShaymin1994 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Dairy and gluten are biggies. Nightshades can also be a trigger (potatoes, tomatoes, egg plant, peppers, etc). Often eczema is exacerbated by cold/heat depending on the person. Chemicals in soaps, shampoos can be culprits as can essential oils (my DD can't do lavendar oil). Generally speaking, it is recommended to look at diet first, skin/hair products second, cleaning products next, etc. etc. Make sure you don't have a latex allergy if you use or are around latex at work (I do and the reactions can vary from mild to severe on any given day). Other then food and chemicals, the other thing to look at is an overall histamine intolerance which is different from an allergy. A histamine intolerance can cause reactions to foods that you are not technically allergic to but they produce high amounts of histamine in the body and then your body reacts to the histamine by getting eczema.

Once you figure out the trigger(s), Burts Bees Banana Hand Cream was the ONLY thing that took my son's away after we removed food allergens. Burts Bees Coconut Foot Cream worked for awhile but the coconut tended to burn at a times. The banana hand cream never did.

No matter what the cause, to get rid of the allergy causing the eczema go after healing your gut. 70-80% of the immune system is in the gut. When you've got immune issues going on, heal the gut and you fix the immune system reactions. It is a slow process, but with diligence works.

Well I am allergic to Banana's and Kiwi I hear some people with those allergies are also allergic to Avacado's and Latex but I know for sure I am not allergic to Avacado or latex but now that I think about it with Avacado even though doctors say I am not allergic to it sometimes something happens like once felt sick out of breath and going outside to meditate actually helped I mostly felt it in my entire head but during meditation it turned into stomach upset and a few other things with other days, so maybe even though I am not allergic to it maybe I am slightly intolerant to it latex nothing to my knowledge. and yes I understand what you are saying about immune system in mid 2016 I began getting sick bi-monthly then monthly once I started working at a children's hospital and I was really stressed trying to be so perfect with the way I ate that it caused me stress but now I am managing it better. Now it's been 3 months and just got sick again but I think from not bundling up enough from the cold and the massive rain we just had last week but this is day 3 and I am almost better opposed to lasting 5-7 days
  • ShinySkyShaymin1994
    ShinySkyShaymin1994 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    sarah12277 wrote: »
    Did have an intolerance test done that confirmed some I knew. Others just figured out on my own

Clove, tomatoes, casein, sesame are my biggies the rest on my test list I still stay away from as best as possible

Almost forgot - caramel color and Red 40

There are intolerance tests???? I never knew that do I just talk to my doctor to figure that out? Salmon used to be an intolerance for me but after I changed my diet I am no longer intolerant to Salmon as far as I know
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I can just about do bananas if they're ripe (and not cooked in something like banana pancakes ) but have never been able to tolerate avocado. It makes me sad because I'm trying to gain and avocados are a really useful food. I also heard that about latex!
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Dairy and gluten
  • kandisn7
    kandisn7 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend itsan.org as a reference.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    Food triggers for me: dairy! And it used to be fruit too.

Environment: Winter, dry air, the change of seasons (the weird times between fall and winter, winter and spring and summer and fall). Also showering or bathing too often/long/high temp. Using a drying or perfumed body wash as well. Some fabrics bother me more than others too.

Also my heated seats in my car cause bad eczema on my butt and thighs.
  • Hurricane_C
    Hurricane_C Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    My LO is allergic to milk and eggs. In addition to GI issues when she has milk she has an eczema flair up. We were told to also avoid any detergents, lotions, soaps, etc with fragrance or dyes so we have to get fragrance free/dye free everything for her. We use aquaphor on her flair ups and it seems to help - hydrocotisone cream if its really bad.
  • Loves2snack
    Loves2snack Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time with water also. It really makes my hands flare. Scented things can make it flare up (laundry soap,body wash, lotion, ect.) I use thick lotion and at night I used cotton gloves to keep the moisture in. I really want to try elidel.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Since eczema is tied to a wonky immune system, be very careful with the gloves that you choose to wear at the hospital. Avoid powdered latex gloves and use nitrile whenever possible. The latex allergy will look like eczema on your hands--itchy, dry, painful patches.

Several years of working in a hospital/research setting did a number on my sensitive skin (was never quite fulminant ezcema)--not only do I have a latex allergy, but I have also developed a sensitivity to talc. I cannot use any deodorants that contain talc (especially anything powder-scented) because it triggers a horrible skin reaction. Maybe less of a concern since you're a guy...
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    For me it seems to be related to wheat. Not sure if it was the gluten or another protein in wheat, but if I overdo it my eczema flares up.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options

Well I am allergic to Banana's and Kiwi I hear some people with those allergies are also allergic to Avacado's and Latex but I know for sure I am not allergic to Avacado or latex but now that I think about it with Avacado even though doctors say I am not allergic to it sometimes something happens like once felt sick out of breath and going outside to meditate actually helped I mostly felt it in my entire head but during meditation it turned into stomach upset and a few other things with other days, so maybe even though I am not allergic to it maybe I am slightly intolerant to it latex nothing to my knowledge. and yes I understand what you are saying about immune system in mid 2016 I began getting sick bi-monthly then monthly once I started working at a children's hospital and I was really stressed trying to be so perfect with the way I ate that it caused me stress but now I am managing it better. Now it's been 3 months and just got sick again but I think from not bundling up enough from the cold and the massive rain we just had last week but this is day 3 and I am almost better opposed to lasting 5-7 days

What you're describing with avacado is an allergic reaction. I almost mentioned bananas and latex. There is also a pineapple/latex connection. We discovered I was allergic to latex when an allergy test showed me allergic to pineapple and bananas. A lot of times you won't have a reaction to an item until you remove it for 30-60 days and then reintroduce it. I did not react to latex until my ND told me to remove bananas, pineapple, and latex from my life (along with a host of other allergens). We tried latex a month later and I had unbelievable pain! Haven't touched it since. One of the issues with regular MD allergy testing is they frequently miss low lying allergies. The tests are not sensitive enough. It wasn't until we did the ELISA by US BioTek that we finally nailed the allergies in our home. 7yrs of working on healing the gut and we no longer have the allergy issues here. It's a lot of work and takes serious dedication but that first bite into something you couldn't have for a long time is glorious! LOL
  • vwbug86
    vwbug86 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Mines mostly environmental. But I have heard that some people have reactions when eating a lot a citrus, and I am allergic to what ever pesticide the put on peaches. I can eat canned peaches and organic peaches, but regular peaches give me hives, and a bad eczema rash.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time with water also. It really makes my hands flare. Scented things can make it flare up (laundry soap,body wash, lotion, ect.) I use thick lotion and at night I used cotton gloves to keep the moisture in. I really want to try elidel.

Is Elidel still on the market? My son used to have a prescription when he was a baby (early 2000's) but our pediatrician abruptly stopped prescribing it due to the cancer risk. Ended up just treating him with Eucerin cream and topical cortisol cream. He's mostly outgrown his ezcema now.