Calories in Berries

Options
I just had 225g of Blackberries for breakfast.

MFP says that is 97 calories. It has many confirmations.

The label on the box says it would be 63 calories. Huge difference.

There are similar disparities between MFP and hte supermarket labels for raspberries and blueberries.

Which would you trust??

Replies

• candistyx
    candistyx Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I just had 225g of Blackberries for breakfast.

MFP says that is 97 calories. It has many confirmations.

The label on the box says it would be 63 calories. Huge difference.

There are similar disparities between MFP and hte supermarket labels for raspberries and blueberries.

Which would you trust??
    The values in the produce can vary a lot from crop to crop, the supermarket label has to be accurate to a degree in the EU.
    In the usa label accuracy is less if I recall correctly because producers are allowed to round down BUT that should only really matter if theres more than one ingredient which in berries there isnt.
  • clrrrr
    clrrrr Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Definitely go by what the box says. Find a more accurate entry or make your own.
  • lauradupree
    Options
    I go with the packaging information for each product. There are disparities on many products. I have updated several products to include more calories, carbs, etc. than were listed on the MFP database because the packaging nutritional guide disagreed with MFP.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    34 calories isn't really that much of a difference - I've seen a lot worse on the database!

Dont forget, every calorie value is an estimate - no 2 blackberries are going to be the same.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiousity, I had a quick look at the range of values in the database.

Ignoring the values given for 1 cup (what on earth size or weight is that?), the values for 100 g could be 32, 26, 55, 43 calories. So 225g would be somewhere between 58 and 123.

Go with the box if you like, but it will depend on how sweet the berries are.
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Thank you.

I hadn't thought about the sweetness being a factor - good point!

Will go with the box then I think - that's the concensus I was hoping for!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    My ears were burning, thought you were talking about me!

Berry
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    SelfNutritiondata says 96.4, Calorie Count says 96.8, so I guess MFP is pretty close
  • helenium
    helenium Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I'm in the UK and buy my berries (raspberries, blackberries, blueberries & strawberries) from Tesco. I guess they just import less sweet berries than in the US, which would be MFP's values. Regional differences and all that. I'd go with the supermarket label, as you have done. :)