Very sore

Options
We all know that starting back working out and lifting weight that your body is going to be sore. I am extremely sore and I did not over do it in the gym. I sore to the point that I don't think I can workout properly today and I had a day off yesterday. Any suggestions on getting the soreness out instead of epsom salt I've been doing that

Replies

• robdowns1300
    robdowns1300 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Start out lighter & slower. Got on a proven beginner program like Stronglifts 5x5 that starts out light & follow it to the letter. The program will advance you at a proven rate that will maximize strength gains & minimize soreness.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Foam roll
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    Foam Roll, go for a walk or bike ride, Yoga!
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    When I did some sessions with a personal trainer- my work offered it as part of a get-healthy initiative- she said that if you are sore for more then 2 days then you over did it. Does your gum have a hot tub? That may help.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Good for you for getting a great workout in! I highly recommend a foam roller, stretching and a hot bath. They all help me tremendously when I'm sore.

When your body is back to normal, maybe consider going a little lighter and build up yourself up?

Good luck!
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Take an anti-inflammatory like ibu. It helps loosening up so you can get moving and flush out the lactic acid building. (That's the chemical substance that causes that feeling).

Drink water...it helps with the flushing out of the lactic acid.

Keep moving but gently... walk, do yoga, etc. Going back to doing that particular workout while still sore risks tearing. And as others have said start off lighter and slower.
  • Josh9706
    Josh9706 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    There was a YouTube video I watched the other day that talks about soreness. It was from bodybuilding.com but they said that if you feel you can workout without straining too much then you can do your workout as usual but if you feel you can't then you are suppose to do a cardio day, it'll get you moving and still burn calories. If you do am elliptical or so.ething like that you can swing your arms which in return will slowly stretch you out. They also said hot shower or hot bath and the obvious one is taking time to stretch. Best of luck man!
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    My trainer has me work out with reps in reserve so I don't have this issue often.

Rest relax and don't overdo it, you don't want to get injured!
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    I find that Taurine, of all things, really helps me deal with muscle soreness which is great because I rarely have the time to indulge in a bath and go the Epsom Salt route.
  • deup
    deup Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    My first day at the gym left me so sore I had to take a week off from the gym. And I only had squat 40lbs. I found heating pads worked.