Dog/puppy owners, I need advice!

Options
ohsosweet26
ohsosweet26 Posts: 45 Member
I am a first time puppy owner. I have a 7 week male border collie, who I call Happy, that I brought home 4 days ago. He's endearing, and my family loves him, but I am feeling extremely overwhelmed with this whole puppy business, mostly because I feel so unprepared.

I owned adult dogs for years, trained and everything, but had to leave them to my dad since I had to move to Oregon and I knew I wouldn't be able to take care of them in a new place. 5 years later, I find myself wanting a companion, especially during my early morning jogs.

My stepdad saw an ad on the newspaper about border collie pups, and there was this one that just captured my heart. kzdve2ckudm5.jpg

We called up the owners, and got the puppy the same day. He was raised outside and has never been housebroken, which should have made me hesitate but I was just so happy and enamored with him that the information just didn't register with me.

So here are my questions:
1. Crates. I've considered getting one, but I don't know how well it actually works in terms of potty training puppies
2. I have potty pads all over my apartment (one in my bedroom, one in the kitchen, and one out on the porch). Will it confuse the puppy if I have him try and go on 3 different potty pads?
3. Do I put the puppy on the potty pads hourly and just have him figure out what it's intended for? Or do I try to catch him in the act (for the life of me I can never see the signs that he's about to let loose)?
4. Or Should I take him out hourly to, hopefully, learn how to go potty outside?

I'm sure that the whole change is pretty overwhelming for my puppy, and I am afraid that what I'm trying to get him to learn may be a bit too much at the moment. I feel guilty for feeling like this about the puppy when I just got him. He's a very well tempered puppy, I'm just feeling really overwhelmed and frustrated at the moment because I feel that I have failed as a puppy owner.

I'd appreciate your words of wisdom. Thank you very much!

Replies

• blackcomaro
    blackcomaro Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Hes cute
  • blackcomaro
    Options
    Try method 4. Take him out on a lead.... i asked mine to go with go wees. That just meant all toilet functions. Then bring him back into the house once he know what the potty is 4. Praise him when he does what u ask. They are smart it wont take long.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Take him out frequently and reward him when he goes outside. Try to catch him in the act, which means you need to be very vigilant for several weeks at least. Most dogs catch on after a few weeks if you are consistent.
  • NahrasWay
    NahrasWay Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    My dog is crate trained and had good luck with it as a puppy. If you get a large crate they usually come with a divider to make the space smaller. Normally puppies won't pee/poop where they need to sleep so if you keep the area small and make it bigger as he grows it should work out.

For the going to the bathroom thing I did what was suggested above. You take him out (hourly as a puppy, as they have small bladders, and also after they eat/drink, after a nap, and after a good play session) and when he does his business outside you praise a LOT or even give a small treat. I did the treat method and it worked well for my dog!

Your puppy is adorable and I'm sure he's going to be a great companion :)
  • MargaretLunan
    MargaretLunan Posts: 5,299 Member
    Options
    i create train never used pads . with his size you are going to need to housetrain so take outside from the start.praise when he goes outside
  • ohsosweet26
    ohsosweet26 Posts: 45 Member
    Options

@blackcomaro @usmcmp @MargaretLunan I started taking him outside this morning but he only went once (and I forgot to praise him for that. I'm kicking myself, seriously) and that was it. For the rest of the day I kept on taking him outside every 2 hours but he would either just run along or plant his bottom on the ground hahahaha. Should I increase it to every hour then?

@NahrasWay that's good to hear! I JUST ordered a crate. I'm actually kind of hoping at this point that the crate will be more about prevent him from chewing stuff up at night and less about potty training him.
  • blackcomaro
    Options
    @blackcomaro @usmcmp @MargaretLunan I started taking him outside this morning but he only went once (and I forgot to praise him for that. I'm kicking myself, seriously) and that was it. For the rest of the day I kept on taking him outside every 2 hours but he would either just run along or plant his bottom on the ground hahahaha. Should I increase it to every hour then?

@NahrasWay that's good to hear! I JUST ordered a crate. I'm actually kind of hoping at this point that the crate will be more about prevent him from chewing stuff up at night and less about potty training him.

I dont think you need to increase to every hour , honestly.
    First thing in the morning should be a sure fire way of him going toilet and you rewarding him. Once he gets praise you will be supprised how quick he learns.
    I wouldnt be supprised if it only takes a handfull of times
  • blackcomaro
    Options
    Words are good. They understand. My dog knows wees obviously, walkies, beach, tummy, ears, nose, teethies.... and lots more they are what i tought her.
    I would say a word when he goes toilet. That way even later in life if you want him to go for some reason.... i just ask mine. She will go like that... even a dribble of wee.
  • jenwil1999
    jenwil1999 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Oh, adorable!

I know it can be completely overwhelming. You can do this!

Crate training is AWESOME because it deals with potty, chewing, and every other bad behavior *if* done right and consistently. So here's what I mean:

In the crate
    The dog stays in the crate EVERY MINUTE that you are not watching him. This means, if you take a shower - in the crate. If you go run errands - crate. At night - crate. I know, that sounds painful, but hear me out.

If he's in the crate, he will not potty, not chew anything he shouldn't, not get into trash. He can't do anything wrong when he's in the crate.

Outside the crate
    When he's outside the crate, you have to watch him EVERY MINUTE. If he starts to chew something, say, "No!" firmly but not angrily, take it away, and give him a chew toy. If he starts sniffing around, he has to potty: take him outside or to a pee pad immediately. If he has an accident, don't scold, just take him to the right potty spot. As others said, repeating a command word "go potty" and praising him for doing it, will eventually teach him to potty on command.

Basically, with a crate, the dog can never do anything wrong. Do this for just 1-2 weeks (depends on dog) and he will be potty trained and have a basic understanding of what's expected of him. Eventually you'll be able to trust him and not need to be so strict. But it's better to do this for awhile than give him too much freedom too soon.

Exercise / Training
    Also, make sure he's getting enough exercise. Spend significant time training (use treats, teach sit/come/etc). Last time I had a young dog, I was spending about 4 hours a day walking and training (and he needed more!). This is great bonding time. If he's well engaged, he won't get bored so easily and crate time will be rest time. At his age, he is still sleeping a lot. Take advantage of that to get him trained so that in 6 months you don't have a crazy teenager.

Final Hint
    A lot of dogs don't enjoy the crate the first day or so. Don't make it a punishment, but a restful "home". The first day, set up the crate. Put a bed/blanket and toys in it. Leave the door open and let him sniff and enter it throughout the day. Finally, at bed time, make sure he's really tired - a good play session / run will help. Put him in the crate and sit in front of the door. If he tries to get out, gently push him back inside and get him to lay down. Pet him and comfort him until he falls asleep - this may take 30 minutes. Shut the crate door. If he wakes up, you may have to comfort him back to sleep. Leave the room and he should be fine for a few hours. Here's the challenge - someone should take him outside to potty in the middle of the night. And you may have to repeat the "go to sleep" routine after a midnight potty.

This routine will probably take a couple days to get him used to the crate. Eventually it won't take 30 mins and he won't whine / cry. In fact, you should leave the door open in the day and encourage him to take his treats / toys in there.

Dogs love their crates. It's like their personal bedroom. My friend's dog gets into these weird morose moods where he hangs his head and contemplates life. Seriously the most introverted dog I've ever seen. And he'll often just go lay in the crate and come out feeling much more social.

Honestly, just google for more info. A lot of articles out there about it.
  • paialopala
    paialopala Posts: 8 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I haven't read what everyone else posted, but I'll give you my experience & initial fears. I got a dog (free from the net) and he had "issues". Essentially he is fear-aggressive. Getting him a crate; or a crate in general gives them their ONE place where they can feel safe and is completely theirs. So to begin with, get into it and coax pup in with treats, LEAVE ALL THE DOORS OPEN and do not close them until they have fully understood it's their safe lil happy place, may take a few days. Ive seen posts where they say to put the crate up, put down a blanky, treats & water bowl & act like it's not even tho and importantly not acknowledge when dog goes in OR, give a huge reward with treats and pats and affirmations like 'good dog'. They will learn that is their little sanctuary from the world and they will be given space & treats when they go in there. Next step is teaching them the word and might need to be done by giving them their daily meals in the crate. so you don't bamboozle their lil doggy heads, keep your sentences super short eg <dog name> you want 'din dins'? Ok, go in your crate, "<name> go in your crate", ",name" crate, "crate".....good dog. Do that enough times then you'll be where I'm at, which is when I go out I say "DD, go in your crate, CRATE, DD CRATE", the minute he heads over I praise him and when he goes inside I praise him. Ive used a trainer that only employs ONLY voice commands, so anything else you use is a super bonus eg: treats, pats, rubs & it give you currency e.g if theyre mediocre in their response or carrying out what you ask them, then you can verbally reward them, if theyre good, then you can physically reward them with a pat & a 'good dog', if theyre outstanding then you have to reward the behaviour & go the whole 9 : do the sugary coo coo voice alongwith the rubs n pats & treats ensuring that you are teaching them the treats are a result of their good behaviour.
    As for potty training, I just taught my 'kids' the word potty. I would wait until I knew they needed to go potty, then I would make an exercise out of it: put their leads on and say "POTTY???" Do you wanna go potty.....then take them in the yard and just keep saying potty, then give them room & time to figure out what i was asking (also their bladders were bursting) and THE MINUTE they started doing theyre business I'd say, 'good boy, potty, that's it, POTTY, DD go POTTY"...when they'd come back I'd ask them "did you go potty?"....good boy!!!" Totes over do it, BUT, that's how they learnt. Now if we take them out and they've been in the car for a while, we'll stop and say, 'DD, Pearly, POTTY!!, go POTTY?, come on, potty"...if they pretend to go (but don't) we will say NO!!, go potty and keep letting them sniff & walk till they do their biz. You'll be fine, just break it down simple and BE CONSISTENT, otherwise the dogs get confused and it is not their fault. They learnt one way and now you're asking them differently & expecting them to read between the lines: dogs are clever but not mind readers. Whatever & however you teach them, stick to that everytime & they will belt out whatever you ask of them EVERYTIME. Guarantee it! Good luck with you new nubbins, Collies are wicked smart so there is a ton of stuff you could teach & it won't phase them one bit :)
  • DavidRocketts
    DavidRocketts Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    This type of dog needs a lot of exercise. They are a working breed, and can be prone to misbehaviour if bored. Generally you should only have one toilet pad in the same place, eventually moving it outside. Small pups need to 'go' quite a lot but this will ease up as he grows. Has he been vaccinated..?
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,218 MFP Moderator
    Options
    jenwil1999 wrote: »
    Oh, adorable!

I know it can be completely overwhelming. You can do this!

Crate training is AWESOME because it deals with potty, chewing, and every other bad behavior *if* done right and consistently. So here's what I mean:

In the crate
    The dog stays in the crate EVERY MINUTE that you are not watching him. This means, if you take a shower - in the crate. If you go run errands - crate. At night - crate. I know, that sounds painful, but hear me out.

If he's in the crate, he will not potty, not chew anything he shouldn't, not get into trash. He can't do anything wrong when he's in the crate.

Outside the crate
    When he's outside the crate, you have to watch him EVERY MINUTE. If he starts to chew something, say, "No!" firmly but not angrily, take it away, and give him a chew toy. If he starts sniffing around, he has to potty: take him outside or to a pee pad immediately. If he has an accident, don't scold, just take him to the right potty spot. As others said, repeating a command word "go potty" and praising him for doing it, will eventually teach him to potty on command.

Basically, with a crate, the dog can never do anything wrong. Do this for just 1-2 weeks (depends on dog) and he will be potty trained and have a basic understanding of what's expected of him. Eventually you'll be able to trust him and not need to be so strict. But it's better to do this for awhile than give him too much freedom too soon.

Exercise / Training
    Also, make sure he's getting enough exercise. Spend significant time training (use treats, teach sit/come/etc). Last time I had a young dog, I was spending about 4 hours a day walking and training (and he needed more!). This is great bonding time. If he's well engaged, he won't get bored so easily and crate time will be rest time. At his age, he is still sleeping a lot. Take advantage of that to get him trained so that in 6 months you don't have a crazy teenager.

Final Hint
    A lot of dogs don't enjoy the crate the first day or so. Don't make it a punishment, but a restful "home". The first day, set up the crate. Put a bed/blanket and toys in it. Leave the door open and let him sniff and enter it throughout the day. Finally, at bed time, make sure he's really tired - a good play session / run will help. Put him in the crate and sit in front of the door. If he tries to get out, gently push him back inside and get him to lay down. Pet him and comfort him until he falls asleep - this may take 30 minutes. Shut the crate door. If he wakes up, you may have to comfort him back to sleep. Leave the room and he should be fine for a few hours. Here's the challenge - someone should take him outside to potty in the middle of the night. And you may have to repeat the "go to sleep" routine after a midnight potty.

This routine will probably take a couple days to get him used to the crate. Eventually it won't take 30 mins and he won't whine / cry. In fact, you should leave the door open in the day and encourage him to take his treats / toys in there.

Dogs love their crates. It's like their personal bedroom. My friend's dog gets into these weird morose moods where he hangs his head and contemplates life. Seriously the most introverted dog I've ever seen. And he'll often just go lay in the crate and come out feeling much more social.

Honestly, just google for more info. A lot of articles out there about it.

This is some amazingly fantastic advice. I have two Great Pyrenees - got them as 8 week old pups. Crate training saved my life and sanity (and carpets).

One extra piece of advice - take it or leave it: Its easier to see when your pup is getting into something that he shouldn't if he's right there with you. Consider leashing him in the house until he's past the potty-training and eat all the things stage. This does a couple of things for you - it allows you to be RIGHT THERE when he's misbehaving AND since you're right there, you'll quickly learn the signs that he needs to go outside (because it will be easier to catch him in the act).

One small disagreement with the above post: Crate training DOES help with potty training. However, some puppies cannot physically 'hold it' for longer than a few hours. It may take up to six months for complete potty training due to the fact that they are still developing. IF your pup takes a bit longer, don't get discouraged. It's only a few weeks or months that you'll need to train with him.

Totally cute puppy, by the way!
  • LittleLionHeart1
    LittleLionHeart1 Posts: 3,655 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I do both.
    I keep a stack of potty pads layered on top of eachother, by my bathroom door, on the tile floor. My two little furkids are mainly kept inside. They know if they go potty or poopy on the pads, I will give them each a little crunchy treat. I fold up the pad and throw it away. Sometimes I'm on the toilet myself, and one of my girls will also "be going" on the pad at the same time. Saves my floors.
    And I also take them outside multiple times a day.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    OMG it's a CUTE puppy!!!

Ok let's be real here... my first puppy was harder than my newborn twins. That being said, you must realize that getting a puppy that was raised outside from backyard breeders is probably not the best choice, but now that you have him anyway...

I highly recommend using a crate. First, it will save your house from destruction when you're not home/busy and at night (we crated our dogs at night until they were 7 months and had figured out that they can't destroy everything) or when you just need a break! It can be used for potty training but only if it's small enough that he can't just pee in a corner away from him... Otherwise, take him out every 30 minute and give treats and praise when he does his business. If he goes inside, just clean it up and go on about your day. We did say 'potty' when we were out a lot too and something like 'good potty' when we gave the treat after he went (it's been 11 years so it's been a while).

Never used potty pads and I think they just confuse the dog.

Otherwise, yeah, very active breed, I hope you have a lot of time to train and walk him!

• kellylynnshonting
    kellylynnshonting Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I would highly recommend crate training, especially at this age, but it's something that you can continue through life. Dogs are den animals and the earlier you crate train them the more it becomes like a room to them. You don't want something too big or too small, you want them to be able to stand all the way up comfortably and turn around one full circle.

All you need is one pee pad in whatever spot they are using the restroom in. What I would suggest is to gradually move it to the door and then outside to wherever you want them to use it, that way they associate use the bathroom outside.

Also, take them out first thing in then morning and then last thing at night. Also take them out about 10 to 15 minutes after they eat and then just watch for their signals as to when they need to go to the bathroom.
  • candythorns
    candythorns Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Every dog i know that had used pee pads is extremely hard to housebreak. Crate training is the most effective in my experience
  • Tretop76
    Tretop76 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    All this info can be so overwhelming. Bottom line, after he/she drinks 45 min-1 hour take out ALWAYS on a leash. Also if you want to train your dog as a puppy not to "go in the yard" but away from your yard (we live out in the country with a lot of woods) lead the dog away from your house to an area appropriate for his "business" and you'll never have to scoop the poop lol! (Unless you're walking him in public or somewhere) my dog is 4 now and when he gets let out, he always backs it up to the tree line in the woods lol.

I use the crate especially if they are prone to be bigger dogs. Put he/she in at night and when you're not home.
  • LaurieNDogs
    LaurieNDogs Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, actually bringing home a 7 week old puppy is illegal in most all states. Not your fault, that is the breeder's fault. They really should remain with their mothers until at least 8 weeks. For house training, skip the pads, go right outside. You can even designate a specific area of the yard. The AKC website provides loads of free training advice for new puppy owners. Being a Border Collie learning to redirect the bountiful energy is going to quickly become a priority. Crate training will be a lifesaver and will help your sanity. You may even want to consider teaching your puppy tricks simply to keep his mind busy. Any dog who becomes bored (especially pups) will get destructive and pick up bad habits. Once your puppy is older, consider obedience or rally classes at a local training facility. You will also need to puppy proof your house for when teething starts (think power cords, carpets & houseplants). To a puppy not too much is off limits to chew on. Again, this is when crate training is a bonus. Good luck with your new adorable bundle!!
  • LaurieNDogs
    LaurieNDogs Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    One more thing, NO running with puppy until it is at LEAST 18 months old. Often times it is best to wait until closer to 24 months of age, depending on the breed. You also need to gradually increase distance to build stamina, just like you did when you began jogging. You will also want to avoid to running puppy on hard paved surfaces. Those paved surfaces basically promote soft tissue damage & joint wear and tear. In the meantime, you can teach puppy commands to make future running together less frustrating.